Mayhem ESG #24

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
From Dezign Pack 3, “Mayhem” is an early Russo-German meeting engagement between mixed bags of armor and infantry. Both sides begin partially on board, with more forces entering on the first, second and third turns. The terrain is a mix of wooded hills bordered by river to the west. VC are complicated, as the Germans can win in four different ways. They can control heights, exit 10 VP (“4 of which must be infantry”), control the four stone buildings on board 40, or they can “eliminate” (destroy, Immobilize, or cause MA to not function) all Russian armor.

Beyond having early war Russian and German tanks, what drew me to this scenario was that three of the Russian tanks enter the battle amphibiously. Such novelty can't be resisted.

Although the VC doesn't have to be selected or declared in advance, it was obvious from his first move that my opponent selected the “clear the heights” VC. The Russians start with a force on the hilltop, but given its rather mediocre anti-tank capability (one ATR, two 50mm MTR and a HMG) and the large amount of armor and infantry attacking, I set these toward the rear of the board 50 mountain. Some of the conscripts set up in positions to dig more foxholes. Though it was a tough decision, I traded the 8-1 in for a 10-0 commissar. I felt the Russians reinforcements weren't going to arrive before I desperately needed a rally. The 10-0 and the HMG were positioned to prevent the advance of the Germans on board 40 by setting up in 50O5.

The Germans sent everyone against the board 50 mountain. The German flanking armor paused briefly in the 50U6 area to interdict Russian reinforcements, lost a Pz II, then joined the main attack up the front slope of the mountain through the 50K3-K9 area. A sIG IB in motion in Z6 attracted the T-26s. In the ensuing armor battle the sIG died along with the PzKpfw 38, but the Russian losses were a T-26 destroyed, one recalled (MA X), and one T-40 lost on a CH. With the loss of a sIG to the Russian sniper, the armor exchange ratio was exactly even, which favors the Russians.

Once the German Infantry reached the hilltop, they immediately started pushing the Russians backward. My plan was to fortify the back peak of the board 40 hill. I had formed a line of Infantry in the Q hexrow, and I had Russian tanks on the roads and breaking trails through the woods to help stiffen the Russian line.

At this point (bottom of turn 5), my opponent had to leave. I would judge the situation to be about even or perhaps favoring the Germans at game end. Had my opponent made a stronger stand at the stream crossing on board 50, my reinforcements would have been seriously delayed and I probably would have been swept off the VC hilltop with little hope of recapturing it.

The scenario needs some clarification/errata. First, the exit VC has the phrase, “4 of which must be infantry.” As seasoned ASL Rules Lawyers, we all immediately recognize that “infantry” is not an approved ASL term. What was intended might be “Infantry” or it might be Personnel. If the former, that means the units have to walk off. No riding in trucks to fulfill the VC. No matter which was meant, I think the scenario needs a “dismounted vehicle crews don't count for VC” SSR. If the Germans park two Panzers by the board edge, they can fulfill the VC by abandoning then advancing off board.

Overall I thought it was a tasty ASL morsel that lived up to my expectations. I think the Russians have a much harder battle than the Germans, however.

JR

asler

Reaction score
The scenario needs some clarification/errata. First, the exit VC has the phrase, “4 of which must be infantry.” As seasoned ASL Rules Lawyers, we all immediately recognize that “infantry” is not an approved ASL term.
?? Yes it is. From the Index:

Infantry (all SMC & MMC counters on foot; i.e., not mounted as Cavalry or PRC): Chapter A [DYO: H1.-.28, H1.7-.73]

Seems like a pretty clear term to me!!

What was intended might be “Infantry” or it might be Personnel. If the former, that means the units have to walk off. No riding in trucks to fulfill the VC. No matter which was meant, I think the scenario needs a “dismounted vehicle crews don't count for VC” SSR. If the Germans park two Panzers by the board edge, they can fulfill the VC by abandoning then advancing off board.
Well, from the index it is clear that they cannot be mounted etc. The Germans can certainly park two Panzers by the board edge, abandon, and then advance off the board - but even a minimal attempt by the Russians to cover this possibility would easily stop it.

Just my .02 worth.

CG

Rockford

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Capital Eyes

?? Yes it is. From the Index:

Infantry (all SMC & MMC counters on foot; i.e., not mounted as Cavalry or PRC): Chapter A [DYO: H1.-.28, H1.7-.73]

Seems like a pretty clear term to me!!

CG
I think that if you read JR's entire post, he seems to be indicating that the scenario card uses term "infantry", not "Infantry". Thus, the issue.

asler

Reaction score
OK...I missed the capitalization issue. I'm pretty sure that Glenn intended it to be Infantry.

CG

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, Infantry with a capital "I". :) It's all very well to split hairs about it because in no playtest (and there were many, many playtests of this scenario all over the country) did the German player ever win by the exit conditions. They mostly just never tried. The vast bulk of the playtest reports on "Mayhem" had the Germans clearing the hill or eliminating the Russian tanks. But I liked the idea of giving them two more doable options. And it forces the Russian to guard against the boardedge creep or the suicidal dash.

JRV's plan for the Russians on the hill was a very smart play, especially digging foxholes on the wooded hills. What became of the cute little amphibious tanks?

Thanks for an interesting report on "Mayhem". How did you like my SSR where armor leaders can help repair malfunctions...cool huh? :D

By the way, Chris Garrett (asler) was a major playtest contributor on "Mayhem". And some changes to the basic scenario were made based upon his thorough and thoughtful playtest recommendations. ;)

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In this AAR, as in so many from Mayhem, is the idea that the Russian player "figured out" which Victory Condition the German player was going for...and they justifiably pat themselves on the back for that. Yet the German player may switch VC goals at any time. If one way doesn't work out, they may proceed to a different approach. A good German player will behave as the real Germans did in that situation. They will change their behavior on the fly depending upon what has happened. :)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
In this AAR, as in so many from Mayhem, is the idea that the Russian player "figured out" which Victory Condition the German player was going for...and they justifiably pat themselves on the back for that. Yet the German player may switch VC goals at any time. If one way doesn't work out, they may proceed to a different approach. A good German player will behave as the real Germans did in that situation. They will change their behavior on the fly depending upon what has happened. :)
Actually I pat myself on the back for watching for that eventuality. Even though my opponent clearly signaled which VC he was working toward, I kept resources on the flank on board 40 watching in case he switched. As you say, he could change direction at any time. Since he had his 75mm Gun and two squads over on board 40, I had to watch in case he tried to sneak some or all of them off. That was also the reason why the VC term "infantry" mattered, because I needed to know if they counted if they drove off in a truck.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
JRV's plan for the Russians on the hill was a very smart play, especially digging foxholes on the wooded hills.
Note that the LOS on those hills is really bad for the Russians. Two thirds of the second peak (R4 & R5) is visible from the main peak O4, P5, O6, O7, etc. Any foxholes in these locations will afford cover for the Germans once they take then.

The LOSes were so unrealistic that I was wondering if the trees should have been SSR'd to be level 1.5 obstacles.

What became of the cute little amphibious tanks?
Because the Germans were attacking on board 50, I brought them in very far forward, near 40Y4. They landed in the middle of the T-26 engagement and one of them caught a stray shell. The others circled around the north edge of the board and were re-entering the battle down the 50E8 road. They were about to do something stupid when my opponent had to leave. A better plan for these tanks would have been to send them into the woods and flanks of the board 50 mountain where their 8 FP MGs would make a world of hurt for the Germans firing 16 FP PBF shots into the attacking Germans.

Thanks for an interesting report on "Mayhem". How did you like my SSR where armor leaders can help repair malfunctions...cool huh? :D
Remember, I was the Russians. It was the worst SSR ever ;-)

JR

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2nd Official Eratta

Since he had his 75mm Gun and two squads over on board 40, I had to watch in case he tried to sneak some or all of them off. That was also the reason why the VC term "infantry" mattered, because I needed to know if they counted if they drove off in a truck.

JR
Well jrv, I thank you for pointing out the flawed small "i" in Infantry. We will be adding this to the Official Dezign Pak 3 Eratta on our website.

There was one more eratta in another scenario where the number of crews provided were incorrect.

So my great dream of the eratta-free pack remains elusive. But only having two is a good sign of progress.

Thanks agains for your "Mayhem" AAR!
:)

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep. I playtested this against Zeb Doyle and realized this afterward. This is an unusual scenario in that the defender moves first (another thing I didn't realize while setting up). Depending on what the Russians choose to do, the Germans actually have a pretty viable chance of doing something other than going for the bd50 hill.

This is a GREAT scenario. Instant classic, I dunno about that - people don't seem to like too many subthreads in a scenario to say that, but for someone like me who loves Brandenburger Bridge with its wild action all over the map, this is pure gold. I would play it again and again. Highest recommendation.

Tom