Maximum Map Size/Scale

thekossack

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can anyone tell me what the max map scale can be set at, as well as the maximum size (in terrain blocks) that the editor can create?

I would like to create a North German Plain 85' scenario (ala Tiller) with the DA engine, but don't know what the mapping constraints are.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I would have to look it up to be certain, but I created a scenario that depicts all of Kuwait and southern Iraq, so the maps can be pretty big. The main limitation you will run into with DA is the number of possible units. If I remember correctly, you can only have 200 units per side in DA. That's not enough to do really gigantic battles, but it is enough to do some significant battles.

thekossack

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the response. I actually ran across someone's website that estimated maximum map size at "just over 375 km in length." I find that gratifying, but as you said, the unit maximum is the real crimp. And to boot, you need to have open unit slots for supply convoys, or so I hear. I read somewhere that the unit totals were actually 100 per side, which, for large battles, would mean creating a high level OOB without detachment capabilities.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Yes, you need some open slots for the supply. Granted, if you create the scenario with no detachment capabilities you can probably create a pretty big battle, but the ability to detach units and task organize is one of DA's greatest strengths. If you take away the abilty to do this, then my interest in a scenario decreases significantly.

This is the sticking point with DA and one of the primary reasons the sim just never found any real fanbase with wargamers. It was born as a training tool for the schoolhouse, and just has too many limitations hardcoded in. Don't get me wrong, I like DA because it is a fascinating application from a number of angles and can be used to fight out some great battles. But at the end of the day, most wargamers are going to find the restrictions and abstractions a little bit too confining.

It's a shame because I enjoy what DA does have to offer. With a rework of the database, and some significant enhancements to the GUI, DA could find a solid fanbase. But that isn't going to happen in its current form.