Maximum hindrance for firelane placement

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is the maximum hindrance for firelane placement? I believe the initial firelane establishing shot must be +5 hindrance (as +6 is out of los,) this is whether the hindrance is hard or soft. Assuming that is correct, I believe it is also correct that firelane residual --after a legal establishing-- can be placed beyond +6 (visual) hindrance despite those hexes being out of los. (This is clearly right -- sorry for the lazy) -- or does the lack of LOS prevent the resid from being placed despite for example it all being grain and providing no actual IFT DRM? (Also, can anyone help me out with the RB location of -- +6 hindrance out of LOS -- It is referenced in the example below A24.61... But I can't find it elsewhere and it's bugging me.)

Hmmmm.... I should have reread FL... as the second part of my question is clearly answered:

"However, neither NVR (E11) nor any SMOKE/ brush/grain/marsh/FFE/LV-(E3.1)/DLV-(F11.6)/Dust-(F11.794)/hut-(G5.21) Hindrance affects LOS for Fire Lane placement/attack purposes"

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
What is the maximum hindrance for firelane placement? I believe the initial firelane establishing shot must +5 hindrance (as +6 is out of los,) this is whether the hindrance is hard or soft. Assuming that is correct, I believe it is also correct that firelane residual --after a legal establishing-- can be placed beyond +6 (visual) hindrance despite those hexes being out of los. Right? -- or does the lack of LOS prevent the resid from being placed despite for example it all being grain and providing no actual IFT DRM? (Also, can anyone help me out with the RB location of -- +6 hindrance out of LOS -- It is referenced in the example below A24.61... But I can't find it elsewhere and it's bugging me.)
The firelane can be placed beyond LOS due to hindrance if the original shot was legal. Hard hindrances do not change this, although your opponent might not be too impressed with the one FP up six attack of a firelane going through six orchard hexes. Technically the counter can be placed beyond LOS even where there is an obstacle blocking LOS. It just doesn't affect Locations past the obstacle.

I am unclear what you are ask about the A24.61 EX. If you are asking where it says that LOS is blocked when hindrance ≥ +6, the rule is B.10.

JR

Last edited:

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Basically, A8.1 says that Defensive Fire must be against a moving target. A FL can only be placed as part of a DFF attack (A9.22). A6.1 states that a unit must have LOS to another unit to fire at it. Therefore, a unit cannot make an attack and afterward declare a FL if it has no moving enemy in LOS, (unless it's night, and has a boresighted hex, and a starshell/IR is up, see E1.71). The actual FL can be extended to past LOS, however. The +6 no-LOS rule is, strangely, B.10.