Maxim Gorky by CH

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
So folks I broke my cardinal rule................................I bought a CH module.......

Hello my name is Shane and I am an Advanced Squad Leader addict...........

Well I have always been interested in the siege of Sevastopol. I have many books and articles on it , so when CH came out with the module I decided to bite and bought it. I am actually pleasently surprised about it, a lot of scenarios and praise be the ASL gods a campaign game. So I will now peruse the module more closely and provide pictures and a brief review if you folks would so desire it.
One thing that immediately caught my eye was the siege cannon DORA................and everyone likes to fire an 80cm siege gun................:D

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have max gorki, but have not had the time to play it. It does look neat though as I stare at it on my shelf lol.

Scott

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
olli posted some pictures of it a while back. It did look cool.

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi All

My Name is Rob and I am an ASL addict as well...............:jig:

We do have a VASl board and extension set now up and running for all those who lack ftf :cry:

I would not start at Scen 2 unless you like blowing things up - a good set of rolls in that one and Sevastopol is gone!!!!!

The extension for the fort is way to cool to play in as well - so pick one of those before you give up!!

Rob :thumbsup:

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Don't we have that yet? - I must get going with Pete - I will have to dig out the last version - I have two I think
We are a bit suck on WAKE and Across the Aller at present and I am trying to do some of that new Brit stuff in Normandy - I have the three now: King Red, Operation Deadstick (CH version of Pegasus Bridge) and Port-En-Bassin
There is a bit of scanning to do but they are not that large in the end
When Sword and Gold comes then I will be very busy

Rob :)

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One thing that immediately caught my eye was the siege cannon DORA................and everyone likes to fire an 80cm siege gun................:D
After you score a bit with this beast, do you resolve it with a roll on the 95+ column of the IFT?

All kidding aside, I can't wait to get this module. The interior of the battery map looks very interesting.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
So far I have read the rules and they look good. I also have the 3.0 CG rules as well, so i have to go thru those. As an addition I also picked up the Westerplatte 1939 module, the Karkov module, and the Alamein Monster. So I am stepping into new territory. O have read the Westerplatte module and it looks interesting as well.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
As Dora fired at an extemely low rate (once in an hour, IIRC), I would SSR a special pregame bombardment.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
As Dora fired at an extemely low rate (once in an hour, IIRC), I would SSR a special pregame bombardment.
Yeah. With one game turn being 2 minutes and the scenario maybe having 7 turns i.e. 15 mins, the SSR should read about like this:

"To represent the chance of a Dora Attack, at the start of the first PFPh of the Attacker, make a dr (reroll results of 5 and 6): If the result is 2-4, nothing happens. If the result is 1, then release half a dozen cats into the game room and throw a crackling papar ball onto the playing area. Proceed with German Prep Fire after 5 minutes against what is left of the Russian OoB on the playing area."

Balance Provision:
"As an extra fortification for the Russian player and to represent the dazing effect on survivors of the Dora attack, issue him a tot of vodka. Heck, give him the entire bottle."

von Marwitz

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OR a SSR allowing a single shot in any PFPh of the game at the German player's discretion, only....

interesting idea - quite a challenge for the Russians to contend with in such an event.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OR a SSR allowing a single shot in any PFPh of the game at the German player's discretion, only....

interesting idea - quite a challenge for the Russians to contend with in such an event.
Better yet, a random dr at the start of each German PFph (similar to Random Air Support) to better represent the lack of coordination between the assaulting battalion/company and corps-level siege artillery.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I would bet that the troops would stay at quite a distance from the scheduled Dora bombardment zone.
Having shells falling every PFPh, even randomly, is much too fast.
After wikipedia, the rate of fire was : "1 round every 30 to 45 minutes or typically 14 rounds a day."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerer_Gustav

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After you score a bit with this beast, do you resolve it with a roll on the 95+ column of the IFT?

All kidding aside, I can't wait to get this module. The interior of the battery map looks very interesting.
If you get a critical hit it opens up a rift in the space-time continuum.

Practically rule might be it creates a 7 hex crater: level -2 at center, level -1 six adjacent hexes, open ground at center, woods to brush/buildings to debris, ect in 6 adjacent hexes.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If you get a critical hit it opens up a rift in the space-time continuum.

Practically rule might be it creates a 7 hex crater: level -2 at center, level -1 six adjacent hexes, open ground at center, woods to brush/buildings to debris, ect in 6 adjacent hexes.
By wikipedia the crater for the HE shell was 30 feet (10m) wide by 30 feet (10m) deep. The AP crater was smaller but deeper.

JR