MAW oob editing question!

Xaver

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Well, MAW its in the way, i donwload the Volcanoman mod for MAW (i love the OTAN counters) and open the Alamo oob with the notepad and have a little question in what is every value.

For example:

U 14 5 M B 72 0 23 Permanent Vols
----------------------------------
U=unit and L = commander

14 = number of men???

5 = ???

M = weapon type?

B = Morale?

72 = ???

0 = ???

23 = ???

Permanent Vols = unit name.

Well its better have an oob editing tool like in PzC (the same for napoleonic) but at least the oob can be edited :p

PD: a little question, i read now in EAW units deployed in line can be disrupted moving in no clear terrain..... like in Napoleonic??? but i download the 1812 manual and units in line cant disrupted moving in a city for example!!! and in EAW units in column CANT SHOOT if i enter in a city in column very vulnerable because for ZOC loose all movement points and cant change to line and if you enter in line your troops disrupted.....

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
OOB Info for EAW series

All "U" type units

Foot

I = Infantry
M = Militia (can form extended line)
G = Grenadier
L = Light (can form extended line)
N = Indian (can form extended line - only)

Artillery

A = standard artillery
H = Horse artillery (twice the movement point allowance)

Cavalry

C = Normal Cav units
D = Militia Cavalry

"L" type units

L = Normal leader
K = Indian leader

"G" type units

G = Ships, then you use only a weapon entry to designate their armament - i.e. a cannon size such as 32 lbs. and then a number of guns:

G 12 5 Z 84 0 Ship Madison

G = Ship
12 = number of guns
5 = quality
Z = weapon type
84 = image in units.bmp
0 = 3D image
descriptive text

rahamy

Reaction score
I posted some info above, but here's some more comments:

For example:

U 14 5 M B 72 0 23 Permanent Vols
----------------------------------
U=unit and L = commander

14 = number of men
Yes

Quality rating

M = weapon type?
Unit type

B = Morale?
Weapon type

Units.bmp number

Not used

3D icon number

PD: a little question, i read now in EAW units deployed in line can be disrupted moving in no clear terrain..... like in Napoleonic??? but i download the 1812 manual and units in line cant disrupted moving in a city for example!!!
Not 100% on what youa re asking here...there is an optional rule for Line Movement Disruption that is similar to the Nap games - a percentage chance of disruption based on the units quality, for every hex it moves.

And yes, with the new updates the number of terrain hexes a unit can disrupt in is increased.

and in EAW units in column CANT SHOOT if i enter in a city in column very vulnerable because for ZOC loose all movement points and cant change to line and if you enter in line your troops disrupted.....
That is correct, no shooting in column. And yes, a unit would be vunerable in a town hex...but unlike the Nap series town hexes aren't as frequent and normally not as widespread. If a unit wants to fight in a town it is either going to be by the bayonet or in a disrupted state.

Xaver

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Ok, thanks for the information Rahamy, know how edit a oob allways is a important information, why dont create a tool for it??? its a suggestion (another is change the napoleonic strength table, its better the PzC system).

Ummm in Napoleonic battalions in column have a 25% plus in the attack but in EAW column formation is only for movility purpouse (in nap of course but you have these plus... except the British but they have best weapons and fire power) in EAW i see the defenders in a town have a great defense (in a town a 2nd line of troops can stop or counterattack better) ....... well all is experience, new engine new rules.

Of course my favourite side is Mexican, in all new game i prefer play with the "loosers" ("Civil War Empire: CSA", "Fields of Glory: French", "Close Combat V: Axis" etc etc etc).

Well 10 days of hard wait :upset:

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
oob editing question!

While this doesn't concern MAW specifically, but just EAW series OOB's in general - I was wondering if a "translation key" could be done for artillery as well as leaders' ratings in the .oob files.

What has me stumped is what part of the code refers to the unit portrait - but translating the rest of the attributes like was done for the infantry unit example above would be helpful for me.

Leader unit: (One I imagine most people would know... :) )
L 4 5 0 Gen. G. Washington
Granted L = Leader unit type...

Artillery unit:
U 1 5 A S 9 0 0 Six Pounder
While I imagine 'S' or 'T' is the unit type code - s = 6 pounder; however is there a chart of what all is available? ( iirc it is shown in the parameter data but I don't necessarily figure that I may have "rc" on the "iirc" bit :D )

And a side note - I don't figure that the spacing makes much difference (particularly the begin & end tags -as that is probably just done so that they stand out for the oob author ( a lot like html) - but if that is wrong or not entirely correct, please feel free to modify or change that statement.

rahamy

Reaction score
Re: oob editing question!

While this doesn't concern MAW specifically, but just EAW series OOB's in general - I was wondering if a "translation key" could be done for artillery as well as leaders' ratings in the .oob files.

What has me stumped is what part of the code refers to the unit portrait - but translating the rest of the attributes like was done for the infantry unit example above would be helpful for me.

Leader unit: (One I imagine most people would know... :) )

Granted L = Leader unit type...
L 3 4 91 Lt Jones

L = Leader (Use K for an Indian Leader)
3 = Command Rating
4 = Leadership Rating
91 = Leader image from the Leaders.bmp file
Lt Jones = text, no specific formatting, 19 characters max.

Artillery unit:

While I imagine 'S' or 'T' is the unit type code - s = 6 pounder; however is there a chart of what all is available? ( iirc it is shown in the parameter data but I don't necessarily figure that I may have "rc" on the "iirc" bit :D )
Each of the games now has a file in the main game directory called weapon.dat - you can open this with a plain text editor such as Notepad.

U 1 4 A S 58 0 9 6 lb Gun

U = Unit
1 = Strength
4 = Quality
S = Weapon type
58 = Image number from Units.bmp file
0 = not used
9 = 3D Icon number from the 3DUnits50a.bmp & 100a.bmp files
6 lb Gun = Text, max 19 characters

And a side note - I don't figure that the spacing makes much difference (particularly the begin & end tags -as that is probably just done so that they stand out for the oob author ( a lot like html) - but if that is wrong or not entirely correct, please feel free to modify or change that statement.
They are there for the programming to read, like HTML, so youa re correct there, however it is good coding practice to structure your files so they are easy to read - so spacing is a big plus. Will help you if you have to go back in and find a problem and will help others if they want to mod your work in some fashion.

Enjoy! :cool: