MAW--Artillery Vulnerability

John Ferry

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Despite being substantially outnumbered in almost every major engagement of the Mexican-American War, the United States managed to prevail. One of the major factors in its military superiority were the superb US field artillery batteries, whose leadership, armament, training, tactics and ammunition were far better than anything the Mexicans could deploy.
My concern is that the artillery (of both sides) as depicted in the scenarios of MAW is far too vulnerable to destruction when compared to historical rates. In battles such as Buena Vista, where the odds are three to one against the Americans, I offer that there seems to be no way for the US to win without a robust artillery which survives a prolonged pounding. I would welcome a well-attended dialogue, pro and con, from those of you in the field who have done battle south of the border!

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a battle of Cerro Gordo going now where I'm well above the Major Victory mark as the Americans and will most likely hold that position. So, I'm certainly not having an issue based on this. :cool:

John Ferry

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you for your input.
(1) Either the odds against you at Cerro Gordo are not as bad as at Buena Vista, OR you're playing against the AI or someone no better, OR your superior tactical skills allow you to fight vaaastly outnumbered and win! In the case of the latter, I challenge you to take the American side against me at Buena Vista and SURVIVE, let alone win. And I am a mediocre player, at best.
(2) When this was an issue during development you said to let the players decide after the game came out. I assumed you meant someone other than yourself. Don't tilt the scales.

a82ahawk

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am the person John is Fighting in Buena Vista. I see his point. I have 3-1 advantage in Men. My only problem is my Men are fatigued...(as per design). Now if you look at my advantage i concentrate all Cannon gainst his....hoping to take out 1 or 2 during the entire Battle....Here we are 15 sum odd turns and i already eliminated 3 or 4 of his Cannons...:crosseye:....Now all i have to do is "Human Wave"...his guys and hope acouple of my guys will stay and fight.(because ALOT run away)....:cry:
When i played him in Palo Alto ...i also had an easy time taking out his Artillery from long distance...no less....which gave me some what of a better chance against him.
The thing i didn't like was.....i ran out of Ammo...halfway into the battle...:cry: With full wagon trains full of provisioins anchored right next to my artillery...I guess they were carrying tooth paste and Salsa Dip......
Maybe in up and coming patches American Artillery can be made stronger.....:laugh: