Matrix Games acquires rights to the VASSAL engine!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Things won't be free anymore...
"Players pay a one-time fee and receive a registration code that enables the software. Optional extensions can be sold separately. "

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I really hope this is not true (the paying bit). I will feel somewhat cheated for having donated to VASSAL during the donations drive if I then, having already helped pay for the development, have to turn around and pay a second time.

Something feels very wrong about that.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I just checked the VASSAL engine website. Down the bottom it still states:

"VASSAL is a community-supported endeavor. Want to help? Make a donation!"

If they are now intending to make us pay for VASSAL/VASL, continuing to ask for donations when the rights to the engine have already been sold is very misleading.

I've asked for some clarification on what this means for us on the VASSAL Engine group and hopefully we will find out shortly from Rodney or otherwise.

Last edited:

chris Merchant

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
" All data is encrypted, and online play is regulated through our centralized servers, so that offenders can quickly be identified and blacklisted."

I am wondering what this means. Sounds very Big Brother.

Cheers

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
At the very least, I hope it means an end to the VASL server crashing and being offline for a day or so. If we have to pay for something, my expectations will be going up a notch compared to a community-supported project.

For the record, I am extremely grateful to Rodney for all he has done in developing VASSAL and for getting VASL off the road and am pleased this has happened for him. Neither am I against a small fee to cover the costs of operating VASL, which has been entirely free up until now. I guess it is just the donations thing that is bothering me slightly at the moment in the broader picture.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Matrix Games acquires VASSAL engine

Gee wonder why Reep isn't all over this topic already :)

Saw him sign up at Matrix Games just to comment on it hehe.

Yep, it is news of today, Matrix Games will now be supporting the VASSAL engine.
This means it might go to a for pay option to get the program, but on the other hand, it becomes so much more visible now, and has a lot of cash back up potentially now too.

Last edited:

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In approximately hmm 72 hours I lose my ability to have a workshop, and potentially I won't regain one for a very indefinitely length of time.

I am moving.

This means I will no doubt be needing to fill my life with my other hobbies all the more so.

And this likely means more dedication to ASL, and likely means also VASL (VASSAL).

I don't have a problem with VASSAL going from a free option, to a fee option.
I have not yet begun to use VASSAL, but I am suspecting to need to.
I won't begrudge Mr Kinney the funds though.
And I likely would say that even if I had made past contributions.

Those that have contributed to it in the past, take a bow, you gentlemen are deserving of praise.
Don't be upset if Mr Kinney has needed to go the one step further getting backing from Matrix Games. I am sure he hasn't forgotten all the support that has brought him this far :)

Now, what I WOULD like to see, is for Matrix Games to assemble an installer file perhaps, that uniformly installs ALL of the VASL sites ASL files all in a single sweep :)
I just downloaded a fresh copy of the entire sites contents (done that a few times in the past) on the assumption I will shoirtly be needing them.
But I think all will agree, man that is tedious hehe.

I also look forward to VASL/VASSAL having the backing needed to make many games outside of just ASL a very well supported reality.

Warman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Take it from me, for what it is worth, just because you pay for use of a server does not mean it will be there when ever you want it to be. I play Everquest, those servers are not reliable all the time. You pay around $12 a month for that game and still have down time.
Then again nothing manmade is 100 percent perfect. Just do not want you to get your hopes up to high. :)

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What about the work of the countertrolls and map cabal? (and the other privately developed modules)
That is only an issue if there is a charge for the VASL module to the VASSAL engine.

da priest

Reaction score
Robin said:
Things won't be free anymore...
Yep.:nervous:

"Players pay a one-time fee and receive a registration code that enables the software.
NOTE BENE: This is for VASSAL ONLY!!!:dead:

Optional extensions can be sold separately."
This sentence is for the modules like VASL, and doesn't say who's going to sell them "separately".:alien:

rk only sold VASSAL, not VASL...:dead:

Now we wait to see if the "auto-upgrade" removes/disables VASSAL from/on our machines...:hush:

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
da priest said:
Now we wait to see if the "auto-upgrade" removes/disables VASSAL from/on our machines...:hush:
From what I read 'round here, it's been doing that
pert' well already <vbg>.

SoCal Webmaster

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What did they do with the REAL Rodney?

From the Matrix website:

Rodney Kinney, chief architect of the VASSAL Engine platform, said "Matrix Games provides the online presence and distribution channel that will allow game designers to leverage the VASSAL software to create marketable, professional-quality products with a minimum of up-front investment."

Ok, that just doesn't sound like Rodney, so it begs the question, what did they do with him? Is he tied up in a closet somewhere? Don't know about you guys, but I smell a conspiracy here! :cheeky:

-Paul

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
About paying, note that Matrix offers Steel Panthers for free d/l.
I do hope we are not about to fall prey of a form of "rackett"... :mad:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I am working behind the scenes to get you the answers to all of these questions right from the horse's mouth. As soon as I have all the facts I will make them available. Stay tuned.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
I am working behind the scenes to get you the answers to all of these questions right from the horse's mouth. As soon as I have all the facts I will make them available. Stay tuned.
Thanks Don, my plans today will rely on what you find out - work on my TME module or play something else all day long. :whist:

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paul Webber of Matrix games just posted some "clarifications" on the matter:

K, let me step back a few paces...

Matrix will not charge for the use of VASSAL.

Let me say that again - Matrix is not going to "SELL" VASSAL.

Matrix has acquired rights to publish games that are created using the VASSAL engine - I clarified my post above - its a professional VASSAL COMMUNITY we are trying to create, of VASSAL users who want to publish their work "professionally".

Tools, services, and capabilities that work with VASSAL will evolve to support this professional VASSAL community, but the core functionality of VASSAL will remain open to anybody who wants to use it on their own, just like today.

The VASSAL engine itself will remain freely available to those who want to use it for free with no restrictions by Matrix. We will be offering art, writing, and other specialty services to those who want to use VASSAL as a springboard into game development. And when a game is published by Matrix that uses the VASSAL engine, Rodney and ourselves will be compensated depending on the extent to which we "add value" to the product, whether it be bascially a liscence fee to sell products created with the engine, or using art and maps that Matrix graphics dept aids in, or with a manual that Matrix helps create. Or with programming support fr "plug - ins" for some specific functionality particular to that game. Also IP protection, and player protections through server hosting.

All that is very similar to the services we provide our "from scratch" developers.

Hopefully that clarifies the situation. There will be no "monthly subscription fees" just "buying a game" like you would buy any of our other games, just these games use VASSAL as the "design kit" to create them.

ITs up to you as a VASSAL developer if you want to take existing modules you've done and transition them to "products for sale" under this liscensing arrangement. If a module is based on others IP then that can affect your ability to do so without acquiring rights from the original game desinger.

For the most part we are looking at "new game" development here.

If you want to keep developing and giving it away, more power to you! This deal should not affect your ability to do so.

The point is NOT to restrict the freeware community IN ANY WAY. The goal is to offer services to those who feel ready to 'step up to the next level" and offer their VASSAL product for sale.

Dan Verssen is the first to work with Rodney and ourselves under this new arrangement. Since I believe he was charging for his games before, this new arrangement allows him to take advantage of Matrix resources in marketing, distribution and content enrichment to improve his games and promote them to a wider audience.

Our intent here is to work for a "win-Win" with the VASSAL community - those developing their skills through freeware, can continnue to do so, those like Dan who have professional quailty products, can take advantage of Matrix involvement in the VASSAL community to our mutual advantage.

Sorry for so much editing - I'm done now

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 7/27/2005 5:00:55 PM >