Matanikau

hanzelmans

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've had Matanikau on the shelf for a while and finally cracked it open. I read the version 3.1 rules online, but the game specific rules for Matanikau leave me with a few questions.

• Should I divide the battery ammo provided by 4 per the version 3.1 rules?
  • Can airplanes spot for artillery?
  • Do the Americans get air support every turn except as specified otherwise in each scenario?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

LDM

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I would suggest you just go with it as it is. I too have the game and have never tried it though I have the maps laminated for the day I do.
Bear in mind that the series is starting to suffer rules creep and some of the games really don't play well with the new rules.Man, all you Gamers players are just too far away....

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hanzelmans said:
I've had Matanikau on the shelf for a while and finally cracked it open. I read the version 3.1 rules online, but the game specific rules for Matanikau leave me with a few questions.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve,

I do know since Matanikau is one of the first 5 games. So the arty is divided by four. Sorry, I cannot help you with the other two questions.

The rules ref for this is:
Section 18.3 of the 4.0x rules, or 17.3 of the TCS 3.1 rules.

Keith

Last edited:

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
hanzelmans said:

• Can airplanes spot for artillery?
  • Do the Americans get air support every turn except as specified otherwise in each scenario?

Thanks,
Steve
1) Yes.
2) It has been some time since I'd read the 3.1 rules, but considering that only fighters are represented, I would say, No. Remember, ignore any references to SBDs.
3) I'd say Yes.

hanzelmans

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have mine!!

I have my copy punched and am ready to get started.

I never did get around to pushing the counters around with Matanikau, but should have a game done by the end of the weekend.

This looks like a very nice intro to the TCS. No vehicles and not a lot of chrome. Should be a very straightforward way to learn the ruleset.

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, not yet. I am looking forward to it as I like Guadalcanal situations on different scales. Plus I want to use the new 4.0 rules with it which I have been reading faithfully.

Matanikau seems to be unavailable.

Keith

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
sgtono said:
No, not yet. I am looking forward to it as I like Guadalcanal situations on different scales. Plus I want to use the new 4.0 rules with it which I have been reading faithfully.

Matanikau seems to be unavailable.

Keith
Don't the 4.0 rules incorporate the more involved armor rules? What other changes would there be besides armor? If it's only armor rules that changed, I wouldn't think that they'd incorporate 4.0. Bloody Ridge is primarily infantry with arty support. Of course, you can use 4.0 to your heart's delight. I heard from Brian Y. He's waiting for Dean to get back from vacation.

Matanikau has a Japanese tank assault scenario, and would be ideal to try 4.0 - I think.

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are other changes in 4.0 also involving area fire and point fire as well as the fire table itself. Assault has been changed also.

Keith

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
sgtono said:
There are other changes in 4.0 also involving area fire and point fire as well as the fire table itself. Assault has been changed also.

Keith
Then it will affect Bloody Ridge. There will be assaulting in that game - almost a given. Thanks for the heads up and let me know how BR plays with 4.0. Are arty rules changing, too in 4.0?

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom DeFranco said:
Then it will affect Bloody Ridge. There will be assaulting in that game - almost a given. Thanks for the heads up and let me know how BR plays with 4.0. Are arty rules changing, too in 4.0?
Game arrived today! Should have some play in by Sunday, indeed it does look like a great intro to TCS, but even better a game that can be played in one night.

Also I have a PDF of the OPS map that Edmund made, if anybody is interested.

Keith

Last edited:

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
sgtono said:
Game arrived today! Should have some play in by Sunday, indeed it does look like a great intro to TCS, but even better a game that can be played in one night.

Also I have a PDF of the OPS map that Edmund made, if anybody is interested.

Keith
I'm still waiting for Brian to talk to Dean. Until then "no Bloody Ridge".

BTW, did it have the 3.1 or the 4.0 rules?

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bloody Ridge TCS

Started the short night sceanrio, The Planned Assault. So far I am getting about the same action as Gary Phillips stated for his game on Consim. Heavy action on Hill 80 and the Log Bridge. This is the perfect scenario to start with the new 4.0 rules especially with the stacking rules.

Naval artillery is interesting, one note Lee has said to make the notional spotter at 20m.

After this I hope to get the campaign game going.

Keith

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bloody Ridge

Still in the intro scenario, the 4.0 rules still continue to work great with this game. Interrupted by a chance to play the Seven Pines CG (CWB) more later.

Keith