Marx playsets/ 54 mm soldiers

kasserine pass

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Im new to the board, and im wondering if anyone else is into wargaming with 54mm (2 1/2") figures, the ones we are all familiar with from our youth. Does anyone remember and collect those great playsets put out by the louis marx toy company?
Id love to get a desert fox set myself, but they cost a foryune on ebay these days.

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I had a few of them. Bits and pieces left now. I remember in the '60s when they came out with real Germans. Ran right out and bought a couple bags to go with the g.i.'s from the battleground set. I did get a reissue Alamo set from Sears a few years back, one of the few I didn't have as a kid.

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by SGT Long
Ive seen ads for them,the whole sets, (repo) but 200.00 is a bit rich for plastic army men for me.
I've also seen those ads in Military History and other mags. Those sets are not like the "real" marx sets from our chilhoods.

As a kid I had the "Navarone" set and the "battlefield" set as well as hundreds of green m-16 wielding "army guys" and thier m-48 tanks.

My navarone is still in the box it came in when i got it xmas 1976.

this is what it looked like:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2635&item=3190110326&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW&tc=photo

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Fenrir
I've also seen those ads in Military History and other mags. Those sets are not like the "real" marx sets from our chilhoods.

As a kid I had the "Navarone" set and the "battlefield" set as well as hundreds of green m-16 wielding "army guys" and thier m-48 tanks.

My navarone is still in the box it came in when i got it xmas 1976.

this is what it looked like:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2635&item=3190110326&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW&tc=photo
You have the German soldier getting shot in the back? :laugh: Goodness; I haven't seen those toys since the 60s.

Cheers!
:toast:

:horse:

SGT Long

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The big plastic hollow mountain,right? Yeah,I had that also.
I also had the "Iwo Jima" playset. (same mountain but green instead of grey-and japs instead of Germans,natch.)

Mephisto

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow! I wish I had a crystal ball to see into the future when I was a kid. I never would have used those guys from the Navarone playset as targets for my BB gun ..... :rolleyes:

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by SGT Long
The big plastic hollow mountain,right? Yeah,I had that also.
I also had the "Iwo Jima" playset. (same mountain but green instead of grey-and japs instead of Germans,natch.)
man! i wanted that Iwo Jima set like there was no tomorrow!!!!!!! I thought the idea of setting up Navarone opposite Iwo and filling Iwo with americans while the Germans and Japanese held the navarone was probably "The Most Incredible Battle That A Human Could Ever Create"....

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Mr Scribbler
Wow! I wish I had a crystal ball to see into the future when I was a kid. I never would have used those guys from the Navarone playset as targets for my BB gun ..... :rolleyes:
to this day my dad still finds light gray germans in the yard when he mows the lawn.......they're from 20-25 years ago!

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I remember having 2 -- I had some pioneer fort deal - it was not Fort Apache - I thik - because it had loads of guys in coonskin caps ...

I also had the Alamo. Well come to think of it I had one generic one with Germans and GIs was pretty cool -had barbed wire - cannons emplacements -a bunker... Not to mention the really big guys I had - must have been 1/12th? scale or something ... had a couple of knights - some GIs that I remember.