Marshy areas

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I want to get some feedback on how I handled marshy or flooded terrain in the new maps I released a few days ago. I represented flooded or really swampy areas with rough4 and light marsh with rough2. That seems to make sense, but should wheeled vehicles be able to move in marshy/swampy areas? I considered restricting them--at least from the worst terrain locations. How about tracked vehicles?

Hub

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Don Maddox said:
I want to get some feedback on how I handled marshy or flooded terrain in the new maps I released a few days ago. I represented flooded or really swampy areas with rough4 and light marsh with rough2. That seems to make sense, but should wheeled vehicles be able to move in marshy/swampy areas? I considered restricting them--at least from the worst terrain locations. How about tracked vehicles?
I can't speak for the rest of the world, but where I live, the only thing that can move in a swamp or marsh is a duck. :cheeky: The swamps/marshes here are usually a morass of mud, full of reeds and thousands of dead trees, with anything from six inches to many feet of water in them.

Hub

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
MajorH said:
See thread titled "Terrain coding info".
Going by MajorH's guidelines, I would code Marsh as Woods + Water, and Swamp as Rough 4 + Impassible to All Vehicles, if I were to represent marsh/swamp in my country.

Rame

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Some swamps are just simply impassible to any tracked-wheeled vehicles or human. Depending on the amount of tree snags poking about, hovercraft would not have a problem.

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marshy Terrain

Don Maddox said:
I think you did okay. There is a world of difference between the marshes I hunted in as a kid and the mangrove swamps I saw in the Pacific. As long as you have a rationale for coding the map the way you did [and perhaps put a few words about it the release notes] I think you are fine. ;)

And I really like your 680 series maps. Nicely done!