Marsh question and CC

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A unit cannot advance into a marsh in the advance phase. Therefore it appears that CC can never occur in a marsh hex. Is this right or was this changed in the second edition, which I don't have. :?:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anonymous said:
A unit cannot advance into a marsh in the advance phase. Therefore it appears that CC can never occur in a marsh hex. Is this right or was this changed in the second edition, which I don't have.
There are ways in which opposing units can be in the same marsh location without one having to advance in. However, normally you are correct and a unit in a Marsh hex has little to fear from CC. Note too that a unit in a marsh hex does not need to Rout since it is not ADJACENT to known enemy units ever.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Brian W said:
Anonymous said:
A unit cannot advance into a marsh in the advance phase. Therefore it appears that CC can never occur in a marsh hex. Is this right or was this changed in the second edition, which I don't have.
There are ways in which opposing units can be in the same marsh location without one having to advance in. However, normally you are correct and a unit in a Marsh hex has little to fear from CC. Note too that a unit in a marsh hex does not need to Rout since it is not ADJACENT to known enemy units ever.
Wouldn't they be ADJACENT since the unit in the Marsh could conceivably advance into the other hex during the APh ?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If a Berserk unit charges a unit in marsh, CC occurs there...

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
klasmalmstrom said:
Wouldn't they be ADJACENT since the unit in the Marsh could conceivably advance into the other hex during the APh ?
Good question; I had never looked at it from that standpoint. I do not know the answer. Maybe they are ADJacent :)

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
klasmalmstrom said:
So would a unit in a marsh not have to rout but the unit in the terrain next to the marsh have to rout because of potential advance by the marsh unit?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Larry said:
klasmalmstrom said:
So would a unit in a marsh not have to rout but the unit in the terrain next to the marsh have to rout because of potential advance by the marsh unit?
I think that both units are ADJACENT to each other as long as _one_ of them could advance into the others location and a LOS exists for one of them.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
klasmalmstrom said:
I think that both units are ADJACENT to each other as long as _one_ of them could advance into the others location and a LOS exists for one of them.
I think Klas is right, but have misplayed in before. The reason I think he is right is that there is a similar ruling for Fortified buildings.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Berserkers, dare death squads, dc heroes, Human Waves & Banzai Charges, HIP stealthy Japanese defenders, these can all result in cc in a marsh hex. Also, can't some vehicles (like amphibians) enter a marsh hex? I don't have a rulebook handy, but I think so. So that's another cc possibility. I don't remember if cavalry can enter, but that's another possibility. Paradrop may be a possibility, if the dropping unit isn't eliminated (NRBH).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
... and what about FPF, which can be used only against ADJACENT targets? Can an infantry unit in marsh FPF against a moving unit?
My "instinct" would say "yes", but I hesitate: an infantry unit at 1st Level of a building cannot FPF against a unit in an adjacent hex (as one cannot enter a building AND go up one level during APh)...
Who'll be the first to ask Perry Cocke about this? :wink:

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A 8.31 specifies FPF can only be used against an ADJACENT enemy unit... There seems to be a problem with marsh, as one cannot enter it during APh, to consider it ADJACENT.
My instinct would say "of course", but there remains the problem of the rules... :roll:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A clear hex is ADJACENT from a marsh hex, even if the reverse turns out not to be true. So even if your interpretation were correct, my statement would still have been true.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
From the Index definition of the ASLRB v.2:

"ADJACENT (Locations [and units in them] are considered ADJACENT if
any Infantry unit in one Location could conceivably - ignoring any enemy
presence - advance into the other during the APh and a LOS exists
between the two Locations, excluding SMOKE Hindrances [B.10] and
NVR [E1.1010] as factors):"

So according to this (at least how I see it) it is enough that one unit
could advance from one location into the other (even if the reverse
is not true) location to make the two locations (and units in them)
ADJACENT.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So by that logic, two units in adjacent marsh hexes are never ADJACENT because neither could ever advance into the other's hex.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Larry said:
So by that logic, two units in adjacent marsh hexes are never ADJACENT because neither could ever advance into the other's hex.
By logic I don't know, but by the rules I would say yes. At least if my
interpretation of the index definition of ADJACENT is correct.