Marooned Again, the scenarios

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A spinoff of the Marooned and How many scenarios are there threads. In the How many thread Houlie posted " not enough ". Of the myriad ( almost ) of ASL scenarios what if you only had 12 available to play, the number of original "situations " in Squad Leader? What would you choose?

I realize repeated playings of the same scenarios is not as popular or necessary as it was bitd but curious what today's players would choose.

My choices so far:
Guards Counterattack
Guryev's Headquarters
Fort McGregor
Fighting Withdrawal
The Commisar's House
Hill 621

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Replayability is a thing. There are scenarios I've played 2 or 3 times and enjoyed them. If there were only 12, I think the following would be on my list:

• The Front in Flames - simple, infantry only, quick, can mix up the entry points for a bit of variability
  • Traverse Right - Fire! - same thing - simple, quick, AFVs only
  • Patrol - from SASL but played with two players - nice meeting engagement, using C&C rules and random reinforcements
  • Guryev's Headquarters - classic Stalingrad and always seemed more fun than the Guards Counterattack

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Replayability is a thing. There are scenarios I've played 2 or 3 times and enjoyed them. If there were only 12, I think the following would be on my list:

• The Front in Flames - simple, infantry only, quick, can mix up the entry points for a bit of variability
  • Patrol - from SASL but played with two players - nice meeting engagement, using C&C rules and random reinforcements
  • Guryev's Headquarters - classic Stalingrad and always seemed more fun than the Guards Counterattack
I have some scenarios left and while looking for Paw of the Tiger came across Traverse Right-Fire!, a scenario that I always enjoyed. Nice to know I am not alone in liking it!

Shmitty008

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This would probably be my list. The main criteria for getting on this is I've had multiple playings of each and enjoyed them each time:

The Guards Counter Attack (ASL-A)
The Tractor Works (ASL-B)
Hill 621 (ASL-E)
Acts of Defiance (A68)
Forgotten Years (CH37)
A New Kind of Foe (ASL-34)
The Old Town (ASL-31)
Ambush (ASL-28)
At the Crossroads (CH53)
Retribution (ASL-55)
The Technical College (TACPBDYO-4)
A Winter Melee (U27; I haven't played the ASL version, but the Cross of Iron version was always a hoot)

And an alternate:

Sochaczew (DB-002). I've only played this once (just recently), and it's as solid a scenario as you will find.

There are some balance problems with many of the above, but I liked 'em each time either side.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States

Traverse, Right - Fire! is why Tom Morin is an ASL Ikon now, we played the version from the old Squad Leader system and had a AFV get either stunned or shocked while moving and it crashed into a building, rubbled it and ended up in the cellar, LOL! Stuff that does not happen on the move any longer BUT Tom has so taken by how SL portrayed WWII tactical combat as opposed to Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader that he was hooked, as was I.

The rest is history as they say, there was no turning back after that day, Vic.

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Hmmm,....

Battle for the Warta Line
Action at Balberkamp
Counterstroke at Stonne
Swansong
Ad Hoc at Beaurains
Ci Arrendiamo
Monastery Hill
Directive Number 3
Breakout From Borisov
Capture of Balta
Sweep For Borj Toum Bridge
Hans sur Neid

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Traverse, Right - Fire! is why Tom Morin is an ASL Ikon now, we played the version from the old Squad Leader system and had a AFV get either stunned or shocked while moving and it crashed into a building, rubbled it and ended up in the cellar, LOL! Stuff that does not happen on the move any longer BUT Tom has so taken by how SL portrayed WWII tactical combat as opposed to Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader that he was hooked, as was I.

The rest is history as they say, there was no turning back after that day, Vic.
The good old days!!?