Marketing oneself into a corner...

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I, perhaps like some others, want to buy the CW module. I own the CMBN+MG+3.0 patched up 'game' but would like to get the CW module with a deal with the pack. Right now, I see no deal even though CW is, like CMBN, quite long on the shelf.

But, given the latest news, do I really want this...

Default Purchasing Commonwealth Forces after 3.11 upgrade
Hi,
I've tried reading many other posts to find answers but i'm very confused. Anyway I have upgraded Battle of Normandy and the Market Garden Module to 3.11. I know want to purchase Commonwealth Forces. Will I be able to just install that and be at 3.11 or will I have to uninstall everything and then re-install in a certain order?

Thanks
Unread Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Battlefront Tech Support

You will need to reinstall everything, unfortunately.

The Commonwealth module brings the game to version 1.10, so the Market Garden module would disappear once it is installed (at least the executable support for it) along with the 2.0 and 3.0 Upgrades, etc. The installation order should be:

CMBN
Commonwealth module
1.11 patch
2.0 Upgrade
Market Garden module
2.12 patch
3.0 Upgrade
CMBN Vehicle Expansion pack
3.11 patch

I suggest completely removing any mods (usually in the 'Z' folder) BEFORE re-installing any modules and patches.
Can this really be happening? Forget the slippery-slopes and usual BF pontifications...Are they serious? No dealio AND I get to jump through all the activations etc.? They should pay me to even try this.

I am also thinking that the whole 3.0+3.11+Pack 'bumrush' needs to be analyzed. They have already abandoned the 1.0 product to legacy-mode. Are they now saying that also is for the 2.0 crowd? That is, what patch is for them? 3.11 means buying an upgrade. No upgrade, no patchy. No ticky, no activation!

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"You will need to reinstall everything, unfortunately."

No I won't if I don't buy anything from now on.

phil395

Reaction score
Country
ll
That shouldn't be the case for much longer.
Does that mean that BF are finally sorting out this utterly vile mess of patching and activations?
I'm struggling to think of any other commercial distributor who makes life so difficult for end-users.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does that mean that BF are finally sorting out this utterly vile mess of patching and activations?
I'm struggling to think of any other commercial distributor who makes life so difficult for end-users.
The patching *is* the game.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Unread 11-18-2014, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hister View Post
Edit: darn, missed the part that said: "Please make sure to download all preselected files. They will download as a zip file. Extract the zip file into a location of your choice, then launch the CMBN_Setup.exe file to start the installation."

Mightily strange procedure for a little hotfix pach I must say, he he.
Moon says
Get used to it, all patches (and full version installs, too) will be like this. This is part of the all-in-one installers we're switching to. This has many advantages, which I'll describe in a lot of detail in the near future when we update all of the existing product bundles. Users who purchased the Vehicle Pack as a mail option already saw a glance of it, because they have the entire game package on one disc already. Download customers who purchased 3.0 and the Pack will get the same benefit (soon).

It may be a little confusing now, but down the road, it will make reinstallations, upgrades, and all that MUCH easier.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Next you'll be suggesting the now-ancient game of messing with sendmail m4 configuration files.
No, I am suggesting a text adventure of sendmail config files before they ruined the challenge with m4.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Next you'll be suggesting the now-ancient game of messing with sendmail m4 configuration files.
Is that related to the Axis Electronic Warfare Strength???

Unread Yesterday, 09:39 PM

Default Axis Temporal anomaly???
Just noticed that the "Force V Force" tab label under the Data section in the editor now reads "Axis Electronic Warfare Strength" after the 1.02 patch.

That's quite the technological jump, but given the state of Soviet electronics in this period unlikely to effect the outcome of the war I suspect!

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unread 11-18-2014, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hister View Post

Moon says
Again, without making announcements above my pay grade, what he refers to with the Pack CDs is part of the new system. The convoluted reinstalling steps will become much more streamlined. Especially if your adding something like an older module. Instead of reverting your whole game, now all you'll need to do is activate the module...not even needing to download anything.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Again, without making announcements above my pay grade, what he refers to with the Pack CDs is part of the new system. The convoluted reinstalling steps will become much more streamlined. Especially if your adding something like an older module. Instead of reverting your whole game, now all you'll need to do is activate the module...not even needing to download anything.
I suppose Moon will elaborate on how this will actually work. Again, the future holds the answers to all our present and past problems. I don't see Moon posting anything for the past week though. I see Steve posting a bunch of stuff. Unfortunately, none of it is in regards to this latest round of software problems...

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117791&page=18

...what a digk.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From the patch notes:
"Very heavily-laden soldiers cannot use Fast or sometimes even Quick moves"

Does that mean they further restricted movements so that some infantry can only walk slowly, ever, as if they are taking a stroll through the park?

Last time I checked heavy weapons are broken up into parts that allow each person carrying a part to make at least a house-to-house dash, or across the street.

Now CMRT will have them walk across the street?

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I had to spark up my old dual-core computer so as to install some hardware I nicked from a move-out. Been looking for 2x2Gb DDR2 for awhile and I could not beat the price. And I stole the big 775 cooler too. The poor slobs went under and I get to charge them money...and pilfer their old stuff. Seems a shame to toss it. I also took their mustards and soy sauce...and they had beer.

Anyway the old junk-yard dog E6750 liked the memory boost and I fiddled with the overclock but the 133 bus quickly squeefed out, so I let the Win7 come alive and suck down all the Windows Fluffdates. I also got the latest drivers and thought, hey...there is CMBN 2.0 on this. I 'own' the 3.0 Upgrade and figured I should get my money's worth. I clicked on the download link, and then again, and then another and finally another click and away we go! I figured I should run upstairs and grab the beer from the garage while the kid was in the tub keeping moms busy. When I returned, I was ready for some installation but was surprised that the DL had not finished. It said "3 hours to go". It was DLing at some incredibly slow speed, that was trying to pinch a loaf 9.9 GB big onto my already stuffed hard drive. I quickly realized that I was being 'stuffed like a goose' and if I canceled, that would be that. I only had a 8GB USB available and it would not be possible to get a quicker DL from my office to bring back to the man cave. I just left the machine on and went to bed.

So, now, after the install, I have greyed out CW scenarios etc. I suppose this means I could just buy and install the CW module? Along with the pack? At a discount?

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had to spark up my old dual-core computer so as to install some hardware I nicked from a move-out. Been looking for 2x2Gb DDR2 for awhile and I could not beat the price. And I stole the big 775 cooler too. The poor slobs went under and I get to charge them money...and pilfer their old stuff. Seems a shame to toss it. I also took their mustards and soy sauce...and they had beer.

Anyway the old junk-yard dog E6750 liked the memory boost and I fiddled with the overclock but the 133 bus quickly squeefed out, so I let the Win7 come alive and suck down all the Windows Fluffdates. I also got the latest drivers and thought, hey...there is CMBN 2.0 on this. I 'own' the 3.0 Upgrade and figured I should get my money's worth. I clicked on the download link, and then again, and then another and finally another click and away we go! I figured I should run upstairs and grab the beer from the garage while the kid was in the tub keeping moms busy. When I returned, I was ready for some installation but was surprised that the DL had not finished. It said "3 hours to go". It was DLing at some incredibly slow speed, that was trying to pinch a loaf 9.9 GB big onto my already stuffed hard drive. I quickly realized that I was being 'stuffed like a goose' and if I canceled, that would be that. I only had a 8GB USB available and it would not be possible to get a quicker DL from my office to bring back to the man cave. I just left the machine on and went to bed.

So, now, after the install, I have greyed out CW scenarios etc. I suppose this means I could just buy and install the CW module? Along with the pack? At a discount?
I'm not 100% clear.....did you finish the download, and install. It sounds like you did. If so, use the desktop shortcut labeled Activate Modules and enter your CW key. That will unlock it. If you decide to purchase the Vehicle Pack you do not need to download or install anything. Just use the shortcut and enter the Pack key and it will "unlock" the content. Ditto for Market Garden. What you downloaded in the new full game installer. It includes every patch, module and Upgrade in a single installer.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I'm not 100% clear.....did you finish the download, and install. It sounds like you did. If so, use the desktop shortcut labeled Activate Modules and enter your CW key. That will unlock it. If you decide to purchase the Vehicle Pack you do not need to download or install anything. Just use the shortcut and enter the Pack key and it will "unlock" the content. Ditto for Market Garden. What you downloaded in the new full game installer. It includes every patch, module and Upgrade in a single installer.
Yes, it finished, I was out cold for hours and hours. I don't own CW. How can I remove the 'grayed-out' CW scenarios etc.? Who asked them to put them there? I just own CMBN->3.11+MG. I just wanted to redownload my 3.0 Upgrade. I didn't expect a $10.0 download to do what it did.

If BF wants, they might offer a deal on CW+Pack, especially after inconveniencing existing customers. They took up bandwidth, disk drive space, time, etc.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, it finished, I was out cold for hours and hours. I don't own CW. How can I remove the 'grayed-out' CW scenarios etc.? Who asked them to put them there? I just own CMBN->3.11+MG. I just wanted to redownload my 3.0 Upgrade. I didn't expect a $10.0 download to do what it did.

If BF wants, they might offer a deal on CW+Pack, especially after inconveniencing existing customers. They took up bandwidth, disk drive space, time, etc.
If you go into the Game Files folder and delete all the battles with CW in the beginning, they will go away.

Regarding the installer, there are people who have clambered for a simpler single installer ,rather than the piecemeal convoluted installation process, for a while. Maybe not everyone wanted it.........

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
If you go into the Game Files folder and delete all the battles with CW in the beginning, they will go away.

Regarding the installer, there are people who have clambered for a simpler single installer ,rather than the piecemeal convoluted installation process, for a while. Maybe not everyone wanted it.........
I see other people, those saps that pay for bandwidth use, are getting hosed by this large DL with incredibly slow speeds...especially if the DL does not get all the way through.

So now, after being inconvenienced, I have to root around and delete files. How can I delete the rest of the 9.9 GB on my hard drive? I should have been given the option of just DLing the Upgrade. If there is no incentive to buy further CMBN product, then I think what they are doing violates the rights of their customers. Its an abuse. They come off as amateurs. It's somewhat rude. I want CW and the Pack for free now.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see other people, those saps that pay for bandwidth use, are getting hosed by this large DL with incredibly slow speeds...especially if the DL does not get all the way through.
Can't please everyone, so you have to try to please as many as possible.

In case we've lost track of how screwed up the previous installation system was here's what you'd have to do if you had the game installed up to 3.11 with, let's say, Market Garden and wanted to add the CW module.

Install CW (this reverted the game to 1.10)
Re-install 1.11 patch
Re-install 2.0
Re-install MG
Re-install 2.12 patch
Re-install 3.0 Upgrade
Re-install 3.11 patch.

Now all you do is enter CW key.

So now, after being inconvenienced, I have to root around and delete files. How can I delete the rest of the 9.9 GB on my hard drive?
Right click the download and select "Delete"

I want CW and the Pack for free now.
Done