Market Garden Campaign

bille

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
I have finally taken the chance to play this series of scenarios from the '91 Annual with my recently acquired ftf opponent. They are great fun. We only have two of the seven scenarios to go and still deadlocked on campaign points. Perhaps as stand-alone scenarios some of them could be quite brittle, one low odds attack here, one MG malfunction there, but the series approach helps get over that. so far, only one has been a routine victory, all the others nailbiters.
Pete Shelling's Kursk campign next!
I realise that a lot of people suggest that scenario design has come a long way since the early years, but I think these stand up pretty well.
Although I would be interested to hear what people think about the progress of scenario design in general, being no expert myself. What, exactly, have been the main lines of development over the years? What makes today's scenarios better than those of 15 years ago?
Cheers
Bill Eaton

Oliver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Random thoughts

You know, Market-Garden would make a great mini-CG.

I don't know if scenarios today are any better. Within the last year, I've played "The Rock" and "Climax at Nijmegen Bridge," two great scenarios that are oldies but goodies.

You do see a lot more tournament-type scenarios, which those M-G scenarios were intended to be, as I recall.

I see few classics these days, though. But maybe, in time, today's releases will become so. Interestingly, classic status may have little to do with size, as "Zon with the Wind" is regarded as a great scenario, up there with "Hill 621."

Oliver