Market-Garden AAR Gary vs Baelfiin

baelfiin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well this is my first attempt at any sort of an AAR, but having been inspired by the others here in the forum I think that I'll try my hand at it. :love:

We are playing the full campaign, 0917-18s. This version is pretty cool as it incorporates a lot of the strategy options from some of the other scenarios into the full campaign format.
I've got the crumbled up remnants of the Werhmacht, Gary has the Allied hordes.

Turn 1 1200

Strategy decisions for the 1400 turn ... the only one for me is pick where to set up the 3 companies from the Kraft battalion. I decide to "give them a day off" and staion them in Arnhem. The rest of my army is hanging out in its start positions, having lunch.

Turn 2 1400

Here come the allied hordes!

30 corp
Massive air/artillery piles onto my poor penal companies in the front lines. British tanks and armored cars stack up in the broken terrain along the road, hindered by their own folks more than any of my defenders.

101st

More airstrikes taking out flak guns. not too much other movement from the screaming eagles that I can see.

82nd

The fun begins. Paratroopers drop right into the midst of Nijmegen on both sides of the Waal. My surprised garrison dudes light a few american units up, but there is a lot more where they came from. It looked like they para's triggered a few bridges to go off, but I couldnt tell which ones in all the piles of silk all over the map. -- side note -- the wired bridge feature in this game is neat, you never know if that bridge is gonna go up or not untill you actually walk up to it and find out !

1st

Holy *&%. British gliders and para's landing right on top of the Arnhem bridge! British para's on both sides of the lower rhine and I dont have anybody around to deal with them ... yet. Kraft's boys on holiday in Arnhem get smashed up, with airstrikes pounding the 1500 point victory hex and a lot of fire coming in on it from across the river. The Flak guns on the Driel side of the Rhein get wiped out . Krafts stunned folks get it together a little bit and kick the british out of a hex just to the west of the bridge, Arnhem allready has 2 hexes rubbled in just 2 hours of combat.

Overall

Not much else I can do, most of the few folks that I have on the map are fixed, but that will be changing in the next couple of turns as my reinforcements start to arrive. This is going to be a good game. Im looking forward to see how much i can slow down 30 corp, I think that is going to be the key factor deciding which side gets the win in this one. :D

Arnhem

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
Whoohoo!! I've got the popcorn,the bottled water and a ringside seat along the banks of the Rhine, damn the guns and don't stop for tea, go the Red Devils!

Whoa Mohammed!! :horse:

P.S. Quick question, I can't find the scenario you guys are playing, is it #0917_18s or am I reading it wrong?

Last edited:

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great!

When the Frost is on the ground it will be a cold morning for the Germans on the north side of the bridge! :love:

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
> #0917_18s or am I reading it wrong?

This is a download from:
http://members.shaw.ca/gcsaunders/downloads3.html

Jim Daniels, (aka High Krausen @ thebltz)
Jim says: "I have modified the #0917_02s to add in the strategy options from the shorter scenarios. I have included one zip that contains 3 zipped zcenarios with readme files. The readme's include the scenario descriptions which describes the options. I just thought it would be fun to have the strategy options in the campaign."

0917_18s_v1.1: Market-Garden - Historical Campaign Game (Kitchen Sink; No 52nd AL, No Gavin's Nightmare)

Original Scenario Modified by Jim Daniels
The Historical Campaign Game (Kitchen Sink; No 52nd AL, No Gavin's Nightmare). In this scenario the Allied Player is given good weather and a variety of drop choices for the 1st British Airborne Division, the US 82nd Airborne Division and the Polish Parachute Brigade. The German player is given some latitude with reinforcements.

This scenario starts at 1200 on 17 September so that strategy
options that may have an impact on the 1400 turn may be chosen.
Both players should refrain from movement, mode change, artillery
usage and digging in on the 1200 turn of 17 September. This scenario is designed for Human vs Human play. Enjoy!

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi Norad,

I might have Frost on the ground but "It never snows in September"

Gary

baelfiin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 3 1600

More allied hordes!

30 corp
Guards armored units continue to dig my criminals out of their foxholes and start to widen the bulge out a little bit. Seems like the lack of room to deploy is hindering their advance more than my defenders.

101st
Screaming eagle companies start to wander around the map, massing at Son with some feelers out towards Best and St Oedenrode. My garrison dudes in veghel get pounded on by paratroopers.

82nd
The hard charging lead companies of the 82nd keep running into blown bridges, every single bridge over the Maas-Waal canal blows up in thier face except for a rickety little bridge at Malden. The garrison on the north side of the Waal is still hanging on by its toenails, but they are not expected to last much longer. On the south side of the river in Nimjegen itself, the garrison is faring much better, and will be in good shape if I can get a few extra folks in there to support them.

1st
Red devils are on the rampage! They boot the remnants of Krafts guys clean out of the city, after which Kraft withdraws to the north to await reinforcements. Its gonna be tough to dig these tommies out of the city when the time comes. Reports come in that the Driel ferry is still in operation, allthough I dont have any combat units close to it to confirm those reports.

Overall
Pretty good turn for the german army, a lot of blown bridges on the Maas-Waal canal will make my life easier later in the game. The Red devils on the other hand are going to be a PAIN in the posterior to dig out of Arnhem. 1500 VP's in the middle of their position doesnt really leave me any other choice but to try tho.

baelfiin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 4 1800 Dusk

As the sun starts to set on the battlefield the German commanders finally get organized and start responding to the Allied air drops.

30 Corp
More artillery continues to pound the criminals, wiping out one intire company. My little jagdpanzer company holds of an entire regiment of british in close action, then pulls back a little and shoots up some more allied tanks. Tea kits breaking out all along the highway.

101st
Screaming eagles swarm into Son wiping out all of my defenders, but the the Highway bridge blows up. That will make things easier on me. Over in Best its starting to look like a barroom brawl as elements of the 59th division come marching up into action. Other para's occupy Veghel after the german garrison runs for the reichswald.

82nd
Not much happening in and around nijmegen, the last defenders of the 275 pt victory hex north of the Waal are wiped out. The garrison on the south side starts to withdraw a little to the east to avoid some encirclement. Rumor has it that they will be back with friends =p.

1st
British trooper consolidate their position in Arnhem, setting up a nice tight perimeter around the north side of the arnhem bridge. 9thSS folks starting to roll into the area run into a couple of ambushes in the gathering gloom, pretty much bringing the entire german army to a halt in that sector.

Overall
Bridge blown at Son, 59th division in action vs the 101st, 30 corp seeming to be pretty listless, for the most part things are under control. 9thss guys getting themselves blasted after running up adjacent to Red Devils even after I told myself not to get to ambitious about getting too close, somewhat depressing.

baelfiin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 5 2000 Night

Night turn, not much going on, more Germans start to arrive in various areas around the map.

30 corps
Nothing happening here, cant see a single 30 corps unit.

101st
Battle starts to heat up around best as the 101 blasts away at the defenders of the highway bridge. The 59th division continues to filter into the area and starts to take some shots at the american paras.

82nd
Not much happening, couple more flak trucks wiped out and another bridge over the Maas-Waal canal blows up in the village of heumen. Main Highway bridge does not explode on schedule, firing squads have been assembled for the demolition guys responsible for wiring the bridge.

1st
9thSS starts to peck away at the british cordon around the arnhem bridge hex. More dudes filter into the area. Not much else happening.

Overall
No real action this turn, Im gonna keep getting stronger all over the map. The battle in Best is going to be fun as both sides continue to reinforce. If 30corp punches thru KG walther and the 101st could grab one of the heavy bridges around Best and with a little luck on a bridge build on the maas-waal canal the british could motor all the way up to arnhem in 3 turns.

baelfiin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 6 0000

30 corp
Not much happening again, some criminal troops move back into positions overlooking the highway

101st
Battle of Best. 59th division and Screaming eagles continue to trade shots. More 59th division showing up.

82nd
Paratroops blow me out of my little toehold in nijmegen, and then annihilate some units in defensive fire when they try to run away. 82nd in firm control of its area.

1st
SS troops continue to mass in the outskirts of arnhem. 9th ss guys start to pound on the red devil positons, but the british are not too impressed with the german fire.

Overall
Another nite turn, not much going on. The german army continues to get bigger and is congealing around the allied forces spread out around the map.

baelfiin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
turn 8 0600

Here comes the rain of arty and airpower

30 corp
Guards are once again pressing forward against KG walther. So far they have not made very much progress, all though that will change in the next few turns as the little dudes i have in front of the british horde wither away.

101st
Screaming Eagles continue to try to get the Best bridge away from my 59th division. So far they havnt been able to move me. Im hoping that the para's are going to start running low on supplies here in the next few turns, then we will really start to have some fun with them.

82nd
My guys are reorganizing after getting totally thrashed by the 82nd. The worm will turn (someday) in this sector.

1st
Vicious firefights rage all around the 1500 pt victory hex. More and more SS are showing up and joining the fray, and the casualties inflicted upon the red devils are starting to mount. Over the next few turns I will have artillery available to pound on the brits. Im hoping that I get a lucky "d" result... then watch the germans roll over some paratroopers 8)

Overall

Daylight has brought a lot more action. 30 corps is no longer in "auto-fixed" mode, so they are starting to grind away on me now. WIth a full day to pound on my dudes around Valkenswaard, Im sure I'll be lucky to be able to draw a line after 1400. The rest of the map is just a lot of moving up of german reinforcements and shuffling around different guys to get into attack positions. Sooner or later one of the hexes in arnhem is going to crack and then things will get really ugly on the north side of the rhein 8)

baelfiin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
turn 10

30 corp
More atillery and air power pounding on my criminals. They are cracking all over the place on the front line and the Brits are starting to ooze through. I dont really have anything left that can even shoot back against the british piles, so im just running away and trying to by a little time.

Still blasting back and forth around the Best Highway bridge, 59th division is fully in the field now, but they dont have the firepower to push the para's back. We will see how long i can hold on in this area.

82nd
Looks like the americans are digging in along the edge of the city, and my 406th division is starting to crown in on them. Not much going on here at the moment, im waiting for more troops to show up before i start trying to move those nasty paratrooper piles.

1st
More dudes showing up for me, and I now have troops pressing in on the south side of the rhine. Im hoping that i can sqeeze the british para's down and get them disrupted. They dont have a whole lot of room to run. No success so far.