Marco Polo Bridge

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Starter Kit has its place, it just does not need to mirror all future HASLs with its own, come on and
graduate to real ASL if you want HASLs given the proper treatment they deserve.
Vic

With the limited terrain allowed in ASKSK, there will still be many possible HASL CGs that are not suitable for having rules on two levels.
Many battles are not suitable for only level 0 & 1 terrain using the simplified building rules.

But I do understand what you are getting at.
I have some friends that play many types of games but do not / will not learn something a complicated as Full ASL.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Vic

With the limited terrain allowed in ASKSK, there will still be many possible HASL CGs that are not suitable for having rules on two levels.
Many battles are not suitable for only level 0 & 1 terrain using the simplified building rules.

But I do understand what you are getting at.
I have some friends that play many types of games but do not / will not learn something a complicated as Full ASL.
I hear you, the concept that SK will lead to real ASL is only partially true and SK is now a hobby unto itself.
$ is probably the main reason players don't move on to full ASL or modern life itself just won't allow it.
I hope those staying with SK have 1% of the fun I have had with the full system these last 4 decades...

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
SK is still fun, but knowing how much more is available makes it hard to not keep adding in little bits and pieces of ASL.
Rolling a 2 on an MC should be rewarding, or at least incur a feeling of excitement and anticipation of using the HoB table.

Plus SK offers yet more counters.

The guys at MMP have been at it for a long time, I'm sure they balance their resources appropriately.
As mentioned above, we certainly are not lacking in new materials except for reprints...SK may not have any impact on those at all.
Just my 2.8 cents Cdn.

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree that ASLSK can be fun, but ASL takes it to a different level. Consider a picture that adds more nuance and depth due to the chrome of ASL— Snipers, Heat of Battle to name a few.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Which, by the way, would GREATLY simplify those extra rules by only using the parts that were absolutly neccessary.

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Rolling a 2 on an MC should be rewarding, or at least incur a feeling of excitement and anticipation of using the HoB table.
Just the other day I shot at a broken Green HS in attempts to get it out of my way. The broken HS rolled a 2 for its MC, went berserk and later managed to roll 2 in CC with my nearby in motion JgdPz to generate an 8-1 leader thus improving its Final CC DR by 3 (removing the effects of being inexperienced, added SMC, and -1 leader DRM) and eliminate the JgdPz. I would have preferred SK rules that day…

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I agree that ASLSK can be fun, but ASL takes it to a different level. Consider a picture that adds more nuance and depth due to the chrome of ASL— Snipers, Heat of Battle to name a few.
Not to pick on you specifically, especially because I personally agree about how all the extras in ASL add to my game experience. But please appreciate that there are SK players who specifically don't want that extra complexity and intricacy. I know, as I have been along the path of playing SK games with the intention of bringing some up to full rules and it doesn't happen when full rules is "too much" and buying more modules is "too much". Your tank is just as destroyed and your squad is just as broken under SK rules as full rules.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
OK, the one kit that I have not seen.
Now, just apply Concealment to all nationalities with some concealment ctrs.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe both ASLSK Module #4 and an ASLSK expansion kit provided "?" counters for most, if not all, of the nationalities provided for by the ASLSK offerings.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Concealment 1/2 and 5/8 American and Japanese SK4
Concealment 1/2 Allied Minor, Commonwealth, and Chinese EP2
from Armory.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
ASLSK rocks. I should be getting some $ for how many ppl I’ve convinced to get it.

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASLSK rocks. I should be getting some $ for how many ppl I’ve convinced to get it.
When I first started playing, I bought a couple extra copies of SK1. They were only $20 I think.

I gave them away free to my friends to entice them to play. I told them "the first hit is on me."

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At the risk of using a tired cliche, I think the beauty of either SK or ASL is in the eyes of the beholder. As mentioned multiple times, the more wallet-friendly price tag of SK is an obvious positive for the more casual player. However, I think the greatly reduced rules overhead is the real attraction. Ken and Perry managed to boil down the 153 pages of chapters A-D to a manageable 36 pages. With SK4, they pared down Chapter G’s 47 pages to about 4. And the result is still a highly compelling game system that generates its own share of nail-biting finishes and memorable stories.

I completely understand why losing all that chrome is unthinkable to the ASL player. But the SK guy doesn't miss what he never had.

Last edited: