Daver

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
March Madness 2019
Kansas City, KS 15-17 March 2019

Friday 1200 Hours - Sunday 1800 Hours

WEEKEND REGISTRATION $50 Pre-Registration $35 (Before March 1, 2019)

Saturday only Registration is $25.

Venue info:

http://www.holidayinnexpressshawneeks.com

There is a special room rate until February 21, 2109 for $114 or use your own sources for the best rate or discuss with the manager. There are several other hotels nearby including Hollis Renewal Center, if you would like to stay there ($50/night; contact me at Hollis, info at holliscenter dot org).

Five round format, select from a group of scenarios each round. There will be several mini-tournaments on Saturday. Timed rounds will be played for the game championship.

The game room opens at 1000 on Friday, and the first competitive tournament round will be played at 12 PM. There will be a warm up round for players who arrive early to practice their ASL skills. The second round played at 7 PM. Hopefully this will make Saturday a more relaxed game day with only two rounds.

We'll have distinctive T-Shirts again this year, they are available for pre-order at $25 for all sizes. Reserve when you register or buy at the door (while supplies last). Please make checks payable to Dan Best and mail to P.O. Box 3643, Olathe, KS 66063 or visit the KCASL Club's website: www.kansascityasl.com for early registration. For more information contact Dan Best DJBest30 at aol.com

Hope to see you there!
Dave, Dano, and Paul

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bump. Looking forward to the start of the great plains tournament series.

ineation

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Great! Is there anything specific aimed at SK players?

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great! Is there anything specific aimed at SK players?
Yes. There is a ASLSK mini-tourney. Also we sometimes have a mini-tourney of Elst. Although hopefully next year there will be a new ASLSK PTO to play for.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
If you choose anything from DTF (as widely reported on the forum), Hatten (with a special mention for Fahrenheit 352) or the latest Friendly Fire, you can't go wrong. One can add Walk the walk (OS-9) from Ob.Schmidt or Making a Break for it (YASL7).

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Recommending scenarios will depend on what kind of scenarios/tournaments you are aiming for. Following the recommendations of Mister T, you will get a tournament with relatively new, popular and frequently played scenarios, but also scenarios that many of the participants have played. If you then use ROAR to throw in some well-balanced classics, you will have old and popular games that all the old geezers have played but people like me who are newer to the game have not. And finally, you can try to dig up other obscure games, with the risk of them being quite unbalanced.

For the last year I have tried to anticipate what scenarios will be played at upcoming tournaments (using my own "quasi-statistical methods"). Given that I started ASL 2 years ago, my playlist is slanted towards newer games/newer tournament history. For each new tournament published I calculate A) how many of the scenarios I have already played and B) how many I have played OR are on my to-play list (A%/B%). Recent results:
2018 Borås/Sweden: 13%/13%
2018 New York: 31%/31%
2019 Copenhagen round 1-3: 100%/100%
2019 Copenhagen round 5: 0%/0%
2019 Nor'easter: 42%/56%
2019 Linköping (Hatten only): 63%/100%

The numbers seem to be "all over the map", but they do follow a certain logic.
- Borås features secret scenarios only, so they spend a lot of effort to find good but obscure scenarios, and against me they succeeded in that.
- Pleva/NY selected about 75% of the scenarios from very new packs, and there I had not even gotten to them or had not even bought them yet (I buy most US packs when I am physically in the US - had the list been published later and/or had I gotten US packs at the time of their publication, the percentages would have been 60-70%). Other 25% were well distributed from other sources.
- Copenhagen round 1-3 were published a month ago, mostly using scenarios from the same new packs as Pleva's 75%, but here I had in the mean time played all those scenarios/packs.
- Copenhagen round 5 was published a few days ago, and here they took a different path and selected older relatively obscure (and ROAR-unbalanced and therefore tournament-balanced) scenarios. I am curious to see how these will play.
- Nor'easter I know nothing about, and will not be able to attend, but the numbers tell me that "my method works".
- Linköping is a new spring tournament, and it is all Hatten.

So if you select newer, "popular", well-balanced and well-liked scenarios, you are also selecting scenarios many players have played before. Instead, if you want to surprise people, you also get "dogs" and/or have to introduce tournament-specific balances (I agree with Mr. T when he says: "Life's too short to play poor scenarios."). There is nothing new about this, with this posting I just put some "quasi-scientific" numbers on these truths.

I enjoy making these statistics, even if they are unscientific in the sense that they consider only what I, The Magnus, have played/plan to play, I will continue improving my "chasing" of scenarios likely to appear in the future. Expect more reports later.

PS. To confirm the predictability of people, my statistics for the scenarios suggested by the last 3 posts by Smedley/Lionel/MrT is 80%/93%.

Last edited:

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the suggestions. Each round usually has 2-3 new scenarios, 2 balanced scenarios and one classic scenario that has a big record and has been in print for years. Looks like we will have Rally Point 16 for new scenarios all tournament sized.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Go for it. Sorry - I cannot attend as I am spending my money on a Chicago Open trip. Nevertheless, I am interested to see how many of your selected scenarios I have played/anticipated. .
Recent tournament publications:
2019 Chengdu 42%/42%
2019 Human Wave 25%/31%
2019 Blackpool 58%/67%
2019 Chicago 43%/57%

Clearly, David Garvin of Human Wave fame is thinking out of the box and selects scenarios differently than the other TDs.