Mapthing by ectizen and tactical map images discussion ..

danstudentvcc

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I was experimenting the other day with Ectizens Mapthing in SPWAW. It's been awhile since I had used it so I knew roughly what to do to get it to work but still it took awhile.
Seems that if you take the map image of whichever game you are in you would then have a clipboard image which can be pasted into MS Paint. The neat thing about the Paint or other graphics programs is that we can then put arrows on the image and discuss strategies.
We could produce scenarios based on thread discussions of strategies using these bitmap images which could be passed back and forth, however the images should be edited unless you like 1 meg files of graphics; but as an attachment off the forum it woul eat up alot of bandwidth .. The end result would be scenarios that are playtested documented and fair in play balance. As well variations cold be derived and they would be WHQ-AG products that are dloadable from the SP section.
The main reason for doing scens in this way is that we would be producing scens. Not just playtesting but 'producing' scens just like a cake is made from a recipe.
You could then test hypothesis like 2 inf co defending against 1 armour and 1 inf co on the offense; per nation, per year; per weapon era ... etc ...

below i describe how to get mapthing to work since it is not a straightforward thing ..

Happy Holidays

danstudentvcc

----------how does mapthing work?
Copy a 'pdf' file into the Mapthing & the PDF folder and then rename it map.pdf click on mapthing. In the first row click on the [...] box with the three dots
browse thru until you get your map.pdf then cut this address and paste it into the 3rd line
Then to get a map done in mapthing browse in the first line to the maps folder and select the pzmap.dat file you would like to copy;
Copy this first line result into the second line. [you should now have the path to the map [or scen] in each of the first two lines AND the thrid line has the path to the map.pdf file [so never ever change the third line unless you have changed the location of the map.pdf file]
Note that after each use you will have to rename your the map file in pdf that you just made and afterwards you will have to re-copy into the PDF folder the extra copy of map.pdf that you have sitting in the Mapthing folder so that there is always a fresh map.pdf file in the PDF folder. Otherwise you will always be overwriting your images ..]
You now have each of the three lines entered with paths;
now select your map image preferences and then click on the load button .
Now you can click on the save button; a message will pop-up and the correct anser is to overwrite your map.pdf file, so, select yes.

you are now free to open the map.pdf file and to view the results.

to get a scenario done browse into the scen folder and make sure you have this path in your first two lines
if you keep a copy of map.pdf in a separate folder you will always be able to rename your map.pdf file to the correct map name or scen name [but don't forget to copy map.pdf file into your mapthing pdf folder or else you will not be able to get mapthing to function since the third line is set to always look for map.pdf]
yes you can use any pdf file so long as you rename it map.pdf

if you have trouble email me and I'll send you some screen images to help you out.

happy holidays

danstudentvcc :salute:

Last edited:

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fred Chlanda has recently made a modifiction to his SPWaW Map Editor where you can dump the entire Map image into a Jpeg File.

The largest map I can get it to dump is only 100x100 but it is basically a full color snapshot of the entire map as seen in SPWAW. I am playing with it to see what use i can put it to.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With Fred Chlanda's WAWMAP you can also take a color coded *.bmp and save it of the entire map (100x240 hexes). Right now I am working on editng the icons for the *.bmp.

Here is a small sample that I converted to *.jpg to reduce the file size.

danstudentvcc

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Double Deuce said:
With Fred Chlanda's WAWMAP you can also take a color coded *.bmp and save it of the entire map (100x240 hexes). Right now I am working on editng the icons for the *.bmp.

Here is a small sample that I converted to *.jpg to reduce the file size.
Yes the coloured snapshot is nice; but the terrain elevation requiring a separate file in grey and white only is variably a food and a bad thing.

danstudentvcc

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
danstudentvcc said:
Yes the coloured snapshot is nice; but the terrain elevation requiring a separate file in grey and white only is variably a food and a bad thing.
You should only need that if you are trying to import yur own terrain. The color snapshot comes from existing SPWAW Maps.

danstudentvcc

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Double Deuce said:
You should only need that if you are trying to import yur own terrain. The color snapshot comes from existing SPWAW Maps.
I must have been falling asleep at the terminal - I'll do just about anything to get my turns before heading home - since I just happened to read your quote of my previous post and even a quick visit to my post didn't make any sense.
:D

What is a 'variably food' and what does it have to do with SP? :whist: :cheeky:

Maybe I was thinking that the maps with elevations that are made with brown sandstone hex edges 'reminds' me of food. Thus prompting a chocolate bar or fudge cake urge.

This I know to be true of me [I usually resist you know gotta keep the waistline in the 30" range and all ...].

It appears I was thinking it, then fell asleep, and woke just enough to remember to reach the concluding thought which was of course: that the maps with alot of brown on them cause sweet tooth types to get urges for chocolate.

Gus

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
danstudentvcc said:
What is a 'variably food' and what does it have to do with SP? :whist: :cheeky:
You tell me, you posted it! :crosseye:

Oh yeah, can you try posting in the Pro-Government Island Civil War Secure area? I need to chekc some forum settings. Thanks.

CGS

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Hi all. Do you know how to save the whole map in jpg file, not only 100x100? And tell me that I'm right. The .pdf map file wich is creating in Mapthing is quite different that jpg snapshot, right? It's very straight? Or maybe is some chance to get some jpg map files?

Cheers
Thomas

Last edited:

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Thomas,

Truthfully I haven't used Mapthing for at least 2 years now. I am pretty sure it does the whole map but can't remember the steps.