Map preferences

How do you prefer your maps?

• I like to see the whole map on-screen. I don't care about footprint size.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like larger maps, even if it makes the files larger.

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • I have no preference.

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
One of the things I have noticed about DA scenario authors is they take different approaches toward map creation. There appear to be two current schools of thought on the issue. The first is to always condense regardless of scale so that the entire map is more or less on the screen at one time. The advantage of this approach is that is always the player to quickly take in the entire situation with a glance. On larger maps, this also has the disadvantage of making the unit footprints very tiny.

The second approach is to keep the maps larger, thus giving the player more real estate to play with. This approach also allows the unit footprints to expand, generally making units easier to work with. The disadvantage is that you can't see the whole map at once and the map files can be much larger.

I'm firmly entrenched in the camp that prefers larger maps. I hate it when all the units have a footprint about the size of a pin. I would like to see a button added that brings up a map overview (like TacOps). This would allow players to easily evaluate the whole situation even when playing on large maps. That's something that should be fairly simple to implement and is suggestion #1 on the list I am sending to Jim.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Larger maps. 1:500,000 JOG(Air)'s are my preference. I agree about footprints. Bigger footprints necessary to properly plan/play vice the pinhead footprints. Don't mind scrolling.

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
I'm firmly entrenched in the camp that prefers larger maps. I hate it when all the units have a footprint about the size of a pin. I would like to see a button added that brings up a map overview (like TacOps). This would allow players to easily evaluate the whole situation even when playing on large maps. That's something that should be fairly simple to implement and is suggestion #1 on the list I am sending to Jim.
I agree 100% with this.

Brian

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I just sent the suggestion to Jim along with the link to my sample image. I would think this would be a useful feature to have at the schoolhouse as well. If so, perhaps the guys who see Jim on a regular basis could mention it to him too.

IntelGuy

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I absolutely agree with you on the matter of footprint size. And I really like your idea of the situation map :thumup:. Hopefully it will be implemented.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I prefer the large small scale maps ;), ie bigger images so the scale is bigger (1:100000 being preferred for DA)

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
He he... :devious:

Coming soon!
I've been heavily leaning towards buying this one for larger scale battles........sold!

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Here are some thoughts from Jim on the map suggestion:

Jim Lunsford said:
This is a great idea. Orginally, I envisioned the mini-map used for navigation as well as providing a larger scale viewing area. Unfortunately, I never really expanded on the idea in order to improve the viewing capability. In the future, I might be able to create a separate window that allows the user to see the entire map on one screen. How much functionality is needed to make that option acceptable. Is viewing alone OK, or must the new window have the same functionality as the current map view? If it is only a viewer and it resembles the example, it is pretty doable.
Additional functionality would be nice, but the main thing is simply to provide the player with the ability to take in the whole situation at a glance. My example pretty much shows what I had in mind.

WNourse

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd take the situation map, although I'd really like to see a zoomable map to work with :)

Will