Map Overlays

Arno

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi guys,

I was wondering about the overlay feature in TacOps... how do I create one??? I wanted to use it to better plan my missions and most of all spice up my AARs a little ;)

I looked through the manual but couldn't find it there... I'd appreciate it if anyone could help!

Thanks
Arno

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is from the guy who can't complete a map because I'm so inept with my graphics program..........but......what I do is open the map bmp file with that program (whichever one your using), create a new layer and draw your lines in that layer. Then I delete the original image layer. I save the file as a new name before I do this so I don't overight the map image.

Hope that helps.

Arno

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Ah great!! Thanks so much!

Now I just have to find a good paint program for Mac, which is not as easy as it sounds :D (The only thing imho where Windows has an advantage with his paint program ;) )

Thanks
Arno

Arno

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I found an open source program called Seashore that seems to work fine... After some experimenting I think I got it to work with TacOps.

Now the only thing I can't figure out is how to erase things in the overlay without screwing up the map itself. Whenever I erase something, in TacOps it is shown as white lines... :angry:

I would be grateful for any ideas, until then, I'll have to be real careful while drawing ;)

Thanks
Arno

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What your doing is drawing on the map itself and then saving the overlay as the map plus your drawings. You need to draw in another layer so you can erase the underlying layer which is the actual map itself, like I said save it as another file name first.

Arno

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Oh I'm afraid I didn't explain well enough... I did use another layer to draw the overlay on. Then I erased the underlying map and saved it under a different file name.
Now my only problem is that if I erase any drawing on my overlay, once I open it in TacOps, it shows white spots where I erased something. It's as if I had painted the drawing over with white paint...

Sorry for the english, but I don't really know how to explain it :eek:

Thanks for your help
I appreciate it
Arno

Arno

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I have finally figured it out :D

As it turns out, with Seashore you mustn't delete the background layer... If you leave it in, the overlays work just fine...

But thanks to dhuffjr, I appreciate your help very much.

Now I'll get to work on my overlays :D :D

Cheers
Arno

Arno

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
hehe thanks :D

I just love that movie, and his last speech always gives me the chills...

Rattler

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Not sure here as I just went over the thread cursory, but, IIRC:

- A tacops overlay will show anything overlaid on your map that is *not* plain white

So, in order to not have your overlay dubbing out *all* the undelying map info, the background of your drawing has to be PLAIN WHITE.

If you use a full map overlay (i.e. full drawn original map background with drawing superimposed) you will hide stuff under it during game play, e.g. the terrain view etc.

Rattler