Map Inventory

SteelDragon

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are there any plans to get the Map Inventory functionality working again? It stopped working with any VASL 6.6.x versions. For large campaign games, the Map Inventory was incredibly helpful. You could click it and it would show all of your units, including whether they had moved yet or not. For the Movement Phase and Advance Phase, it made it easier to not forget units when they are spread all over a large campaign map.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'm guessing this was an extension. Any clues on who made it? They would have to do the updating.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm guessing this was an extension. Any clues on who made it? They would have to do the updating.
You may be right. Steel Dragon's proposal is very valid for CGs especially, so maybe it might be worthwhile to implement such a function to VASL as inherent.

von Marwitz

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The extension is available at VASL.info/extensions. It is called MapInv.mdx and does not work in current versions of VASL.

If someone can get it working then I would be willing to look at pulling it in to VASL.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The extension is available at VASL.info/extensions. It is called MapInv.mdx and does not work in current versions of VASL.
If someone can get it working then I would be willing to look at pulling it in to VASL.
It turns out it was a direct implementation of the VASSAL Game Piece Inventory Window, no custom code. Try the attached, I haven't seen the original version working so not completely sure of the settings, please let me know if this works like the old one (just remove the .zip extension, I had to add it to attach the file here).

Attachments

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
While I knew that the old one existed I have never used it nor the VASSAL Game Piece Inventory Window.

I will post this on the VASL.info/extensions site and delete the old one. Should be there sometime next week.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hmm, @SteelDragon it's already failing for some reason I don't understand when I have lots of pieces off the map, I tried limiting it to pieces that are on the mapboard, even that misses pieces on half-hexes. It might be difficult to get reliably working as the interaction with various VASL elements seems complex - sorry for getting hopes up (fools rush in where angels fear to tread...). I'll keep tinkering and see what I can do.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did not even know about this window. I added the window to my extension to test. It seems to work fine with just some basic settings
  1. I limited to inventory to the CurrentMap
  2. I changed the reporting info to include the $PieceName$:$CurrentBoard$$LocationName$.
It seems to report out both onboard and offboard status, although the board edge ones may need to be moved a bit to get them on the board. I know (based on the configuration window) there is more functionality to organize, etc. that I have not configured. I remember the window but not all the configurations it had. I suspect you would want some organization on the list with a large scenario being played.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Before investing much time in this, we might ask ourselves if this is materially different/better than what we get from the Save Map as Text File option.

Obviously, this inventory pops up during a game whereas the Save Map . . . option saves to an external text file.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yeah I was looking at that text save and wondering if a stand alone parser might be useful without putting stuff into VASL.