Map cojnguration..

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom, you've got this board thing down. How long is a board taking you to complete nowdays?
Depends. Best case (simple map, postscript version available to work from, as opposed to a 300dpi scan), 3-4 hours. Worst case, (complex map, special overlays, maybe even special colors), probably 8-10 hours.

Keeps me off the streets.

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
These maps make many new configuration combinations now possible. We hope that -- once they are available -- you all will consume many of them so we can make many more. :bite:

charlie

Lookin' forward to seeing you at ASLOk. :)

CKibler

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lookin' forward to seeing you at ASLOk. :)
I do plan on being there this year, as I suppose you know. It's certainly been a few years since I made it to an ASLOK. Was still held in Youngstown, last time I attended. :smoke:

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
That maps look very nice and they offer a totally new dimension of board configuartion.
Keep up your work :thumup:

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While I have ideas for many more boards...Charlie and Mac do as well...I am open and very much interested to hear what you all would like to see on a board.

Post here with any ideas you have and we'll see what we can do.

Fort

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Would be kewl to see some double wide city boards, could even design a CG using these boards.

Scott

c chapman

Recruit
Reaction score
WOW!:nuts:

This is a great concept and really gives a nice variety to the predictable geo bd arrangement.
Look fwd to seeing this product in hand!

Chris

Willy230104

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Great work Gary!

What about a map similar to CX3 but with river from A4-A7 to G20-K20? like an "L" to link two river maps up and right, for example.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I am in the camp of "we have enough maps", but even I am impressed by these additional maps in a new design. I believe they will freshen things up some.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I'd love two see three types of new map add ons;

1. Russia, small village (3-6 buildings), dirt cross roads, a farm and woods
2. Russia, open rolling ground with brush, grain, and some woods
3. PTO, jungle with a stream in the middle
4. PTO, jungle, hills and a small bunch of huts

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
How do these maps store? Do they fold? They look to be the size of two half-boards next to each other so do they fold along 10/11 alternate hex grain?

dreenstra

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There can never be enough maps. It's such an easy way to add new variety to the game. As opposed to all the research that goes into adding a nationality or rare vehicles for an existing nationality.

I'd like to see this concept applied to some of the PTO boards. And I think we need more "village on a hill" boards. It's amazing how many European villages were only built on level ground (at least according to ASL maps). ;)

Dave

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Although there was a time that I'd have been all over it, I haven't sat down to churn out new home-grown maps for this new 17x20 map size. Somehow,
it's not real appealing to stamp out new versions of the same old 10x33 geo boards. Not that it shouldn't be done, but it don't necessarily get the old creative juices flowing.

BUUUT, during a break at work, something did occur to me. The 17x20 aspect ratio is semi close to a rotated half-board (10x17). Therefore, a lot of the board ideas we've seen before, the ones that kind of peter out after one half-board, would work pretty well with this new aspect ratio.

For example - you can do a reasonable quasi-circular Big Hill on a map like this - it doesn't have to be overly ellipsoidal. You can do wider villages than before, and have the whole thing look more natural because you don't hit the narrow edge of the map as quickly as before. And like Charlie Kibler showed, you can have rivers do something more interesting than go straight.

So while I don't think this new board shape will necessarily result in new types of boards, I do think we'll be able to put out more realistic versions of the same old types of boards, and that's a Good Thing.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is a rough layout of a couple of the boards that didn't make this print run...maybe next one.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Both of those look phenominal. Where do you get the hex paper?