Map board storage??

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably been asked before but I did not find what I was looking for. Want to know what other folks have found to be an inexpensive, easy to carry, storage solution for the starter kit style map boards (as when traveling to out of town meets, etc). I've seen the metal ones (too expensive) and bankers boxes (not easily transported as they take two hands to carry). What do those of you who travel a lot use? Thanks.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
If I ever travel with my kit again I will be looking to use this for maps and Plano/RAACO

I have used this in the past

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I ever travel with my kit again I will be looking to use this for maps and Plano/RAACO

I have used this in the past

How many boards can you easily fit into something like this?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
How many boards can you easily fit into something like this?
I can put all the MMP and HOB/Bounding Fire boards in one case, but it is friggin' heavy if I do. Not wide enough for the Fortenberry boards unfortunately.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can put all the MMP and HOB/Bounding Fire boards in one case, but it is friggin' heavy if I do. Not wide enough for the Fortenberry boards unfortunately.
Thanks. This may be what I am looking for.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I go with an accordion folder (the sturdier the better) with the boards in a package similar to those that the WO or Action Packs come in (or document protector packages). Normally one can store 10 boards (1-10, 11-20, etc,) in a single pack and all the SK style boards (including the "Fort" boards) can fit into a single accordion folder. I have a separate accordion folder for BFP, LFT, etc. boards and HASL maps. It's a bit bulky but not as much as a binder system and I can readily find boards that I need. It can easily be modified to the content for tournaments by taking only the boards required for those scenarios which usually lightens the load exponentially (easy to handle also).

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use a banker's box, a medium duty cardboard box. It costs about $8.00 and stores all of the maps flat (except double wide).

mallexen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An otherwise empty Beyond Valor box. The old kind, that was glued together rather than folded. Can hold the dozen or two boards that you need for a tourney. Box is sturdy enough to keep boards safe.
When at home, they are in the Beyond Valor/Yanks box(es) or old Sam Adams 12 pack boxes, lying on its side so gravity keeps the boards flat.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I should maybe switch to totes.

I'm now in ring binders and page protectors, but there is simply so much material now that the weight of the binders/protectors alone is kinda substantial.

[Cardstock in page protectors maybe doesn't get enough air, either. That can accelerating paper aging. There's already a mustiness to them I don't like.]

Thanks for the idea.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
I'm surprised people are folding them for storage. It doesn't take much to folding see the map creases cracking and losing integrity.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I dislike folding and plexiglass, so I store and transport the standard ones flat in an artist portfolio. The portfolio can hold 96 maps. The Fort style are in an 11x17 binder.
Nice choice!
I don't transport mine and keep them in the empty game boxes (my maps are a mix of mounted and unmounted), but if I did have to travel with them that folio would be my preference.

I had made a large folio to house all the HASL maps (laminated), but it's not quite rigid enough to keep them from curling a bit at the bottom, and I don't have room to lay it out flat, so not 100% happy with it. Needs a little modification, but I'm not sure what.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I dislike folding and plexiglass, so I store and transport the standard ones flat in an artist portfolio. The portfolio can hold 96 maps. The Fort style are in an 11x17 binder.View attachment 21680
I have portfolios. What's the most effective way to create the divide between boards?

I use A3-size portfolios for the Fort boards.

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
I found a 6" folder/hanger/holder (at The Container Store) that I put on its side. I have all MMP maps (top and bottom-center) and you can see all BFP and "a/b" boards are sectioned off in the bottom holder. This is my primary travel [suit] case. After taking the boards in and out over the years, I've not had them deteriorate, scuff, break, etc. I will start to run out of room shortly, and do not have room for all the new DASL (MMP+LFT) boards but I have a second travel case for tournaments for the "other", less often used supplies.