Map Artwork & Textures

Jeff Gilbert

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don (et al),

Your Maps 820 & 821 are wonderful and I have a few questions ...

I have downloaded your map textures (they are so much better than my own! :) ) but have been unable to get your desert textures ... keeps telling me they are available thru gamesquad ... which is where I am at. Perhaps a busted link with the name change?

Anyway, my question is on your Cities, Towns, Roads, Trails etc ... do you happen to have any "pre-made" textures for those too or do you draw them individually?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've contacted Don about this, so hopefully we'll get that link fixed.

Jeff Gilbert

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My thanks on the desert files ...

I am also wondering to hear from Don about the other map items.
No hurry ... so I am more than happy to wait for any info.

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My thanks on the desert files ...

I am also wondering to hear from Don about the other map items.
No hurry ... so I am more than happy to wait for any info.
From the look of them they kinda look made for each city/town to me. It could be a texture but it sure doesn't look like one to me.

H

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Heya Nick,
Are you an Aus military user or civilian player?

Don has been busy with multiple items lately. I've reminded him and Brent about this issue.

H

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I fixed the link to the desert textures.

As for how I did it. First, I created a set of textures for most everything I could think of. Next, I used Photoshop to layer on the terrain, starting with the basic elevations.

Some of the effects in the towns, rivers, and beach areas was airbrushed on. Because TacOps maps need to be more accurate than maps for other wargames (no hexes or abstract areas), they are harder to create as a general rule. They can't just look good and not be accurate. The visible terrain needs to very closely match the underlying terrain values, and unfortunately, that isn't the easiest thing to do.

If you use your head and are creative with the textures and map values, you can create some very realistic and interesting maps for TacOps. The downside is that the process of "painting" on the textures is quite tedious and time-consuming.

It probably wouldn't be all that difficult to create a utility that would work in conjunction with the existing TacOps editor to paint textures on automatically, but I'm not sure what MajorH's plan is for elevations in TacOps v5. There are numerous people on this forum with the coding skills to craft an editor like that. If anyone wants to do it using my textures as a base, feel free.