Map 12a and bridge entry/exit

Jason Cameron

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi guys

This came up during yesterday's Houston ASL monthly get-together.

Two questions:
1. can a unit entering from offboard enter the B15 bridge from A15? From A16? Must the player declare which road entry hex they are using prior to use?

2. Can a unit on the bridge B15 exit the bridge hex and directly enter C16?

From the reading of the rules, I cannot determine a good answer for question 1.
As for question 2, the rules are clear that the unit must exit the bridge by moving across the road hexside to C15.

My argument is that the rulebook describes a bridge that is pointed to a hexside, whereas bridge B15 is pointed to a vertex.10748

Fire away!

Thanks, Jason

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
My take...

Two questions:
1. can a unit entering from offboard enter the B15 bridge from A15? From A16? Must the player declare which road entry hex they are using prior to use?
Yes, the bridge can be entered from both B15 and A16. One always has to declare which hex one is using, so I don't quite understand the last question.

2. Can a unit on the bridge B15 exit the bridge hex and directly enter C16?
No.

My argument is that the rulebook describes a bridge that is pointed to a hexside, whereas bridge B15 is pointed to a vertex.
I'd play it as if the bridge is sort-of pointed towards two hexsides in this case.

Jason Cameron

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My take...

Yes, the bridge can be entered from both B15 and A16. One always has to declare which hex one is using, so I don't quite understand the last question.

No.

I'd play it as if the bridge is sort-of pointed towards two hexsides in this case.
Thanks Klas for the quick reply...My esteemed opponent told me I have to declare which hex the road belonged in. I disagreed, stating that the road was in both hexes and I could enter the bridge from A15 or A16, both using the road.

Jason

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As far as I know both A15 and A16 are road hexes, and A15/B15 and A16/B15 are road hexsides.

Regarding your other issue, it seems to boil down to not liking the artwork. The bridge has to be entered across a road hexside, and there is only one on that side.

JR

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As to announcing your intended move, I don't think so. But as half-hexes are the equivalent of full hexes if there is no adjoining board (A2.3), you'll have to enter your preferred half-hex and then exit that half-hex onto the bridge. So he'll know before you reach the bridge which half-hex you are using.

Unless this is a paradrop on the bridge instead of course. In which case (as I just learned), you could end up on the bridge without crossing a road hexside, contrary to B6.4. E9.4.