Map !001

groggy

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's a map I made while beginning to design a hypothetical East Front scenario. I used East Front II, verion 1.03, that came with the World At War bundle.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Good day, groggy.

Would you be up for some constructive criticism?

Hope you're well
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

groggy

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Critics Welcome

Of course I welcome anything that will help me do better future maps.

Jason Petho said:
Good day, groggy.

Would you be up for some constructive criticism?

Hope you're well
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Good day,

Great!

First impression:

Excellent start!

Considerations for improvement (in my humble opinion):

1. The compass. It took a moment to find it. I'd recommend moving the compass to one of the corners. Top right or Top left is what I use.

2. Labels: I believe you could use with a few more labels - for example, the airfield, a number of smaller villages you have scattered about the map, a few of the farms, etc etc. You can also alter the labels text size (0,1,2) and colour (blue, black and green). I noticed you labelled the city as "City". Why not go the extra step and give it a name. Even if it's not historical, it's nice to know what one is fighting for.

3. Elevation Glitch - The graphics have an issue when displaying elevation changes greater than 3 steps (2-6, 3-7, 4-8, etc). For the most part your map is pretty good, but one area is showing this glitch - near the mine. Possibly increase the elevation of the minefloor to 4. That will clear up the problem.

4. Misplaced Hex Sides - in the area of 23,71 to 25,73 you have a couple of embankments that are out of place. Although you can place hexsides such as the embankment on the open terrain, it does not show in the 3D views. If you wanted to create some form of movement penalty or restriction of the two hexsides in question, possibly change the hexsides to gullies? There's also a hexside at 51,51 that needs to be removed.

5. Road network: It seems odd that there isn't a road, or track, between 13,72 and 14,71. : A couple of areas on the map might benefit from the inclusion of rough terrain, or more woods, to ensure the players are utilizing the roads as you designed them. Te area in the triangle of 15,41 - 15,44 and 19,43 is a prime example. You've added essentially a 2 km detour to the roadnetwork but also the ability to easily bypass it by merely skirting the woods to the west.

6. Streams: The stream at 2,1 - 4,2 appears to defy gravity. As does the stream at 8,12 - 8,13 to 10,13. The area directly west of this, I'm not sure what you had in mind but it appears to have a number of streams collecting into a large, low, open area. I presume you intended this to be a lake, or marsh. A marsh would make more sense, as you have a road running through the area. That being the case, I'd recommend raising the elevation of the area in question to 6 and alter the open hexes for marsh hexes.

Major river: I believe you have the dams on the wrong side of the large body of water. Dams usually collect the water behind them that is flowing to them from upstream. You have the large water areas downstream from the dams. I've been wrong before though.

The city: I'd recommend adding some farms in the outskirts of the city. Possibly even a few cemeteries... something to break up the transition from suburb to the open spaces you display.

Well, that's a start.

Hope that helps!!
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho