Country
llUnited States
Okay..

You have $350 to spend.

What do you purchase besides:
Players Handbook
DM Handbook
Monster Manuals 1-4
(we're presuming you already have these 6 books)

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Whizbang1963 said:
Okay..

You have $350 to spend.

Players Handbook
DM Handbook
Monster Manuals 1-4
Am I to assume we're talking about D&D 3.5?

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hmm to be honest, I've seen most of the books, most are quite good, but in all honesty, if I had 350, I would be inclined to get the DM's, Player's, and Monster's manuals, and blow the rest on D&D minis.

What's really sad though, is the brutal fact, that as these books are in today's world, such nice hard covers, there won't be a lot left for those D&D minis.

As most players though, like to make the best player character possible, the class based books likely will see the most need.

Setting books done to older editions are all still every bit usable. So if you have old ones, you don't reeeeeally need new ones. A decent DM already knows how to do the conversions.

Actually, a real perk, would be to just buy several more Players copies. Because, 6 players (6 is an average group) will all need their own copy at varying times. It would be nice having players that didn't need to wait in line to look up a detail :)

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Aries said:
It would be nice having players that didn't need to wait in line to look up a detail
I honestly have to admit that everyone I ever played with had their own books. At a minimum they had a copy of the Player's Guide. Granted, things were a bit cheaper back in those days.

I'm sure one could pick up used copies of the current editions on ebay for less than the retail price.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It's true, most players, if they give a damn about a game, usually end up with a Players manual of whatever game is being played.

But, as he DID ask for the ideal :)

Myself, I only require a player show up with pencil, paper (some lined paper), eraser, and a basic set of dice. Considering the cost to provide a pencil some paper an eraser and a small tube of the funny shaped dice, vs the DM having to provide the entire game set up, it's not like it's an unfair request.

I generally don't care for people that continuosly show up, have no means to play, and show almost no actual preparation to play.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"IF" I was running AD&D I'd expect all my players to have a Players Manual, their own dice & notebook. As a DM I'd have the DMG/Monster Manual and what ever else was "required" to run the 3.5 system (magic book?) just because.

For my system I copied all the player essential material and put them in notebooks which I give to each player. And since I use basic AD&D spells if the players have that book (running mages etc) that would help them. However, I've gone online & DL'd the "new" updates for spells & have copies of those myself.

After the basic books I'd also go with miniatures, and some floor plans etc.

Plus I'd get some add-on material as well. There a many specialty manuals out there to pick from- special encounter scenarios, special buildings/shop, etc.

Maedhros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whizbang1963 said:
Okay..

You have $350 to spend.

Players Handbook
DM Handbook
Monster Manuals 1-4
I'd spend the $350.00 on art supplies and sell the six books above on E-Bay.