Manilianus' New Year's Resolution ASL Thread

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
So I've returned to the game, and started to buy, re-buy and expand my collection - at least a product each month. Other than that I'll post here questions about what module to buy, which one made which one obsolete, how to laminate, where to buy counter clipper and so forth.

Starting off with a big bang, I've received Decision at Elst and ordered ASL mug, and ASL SK #4 PTO with Expansion Packs #1 (2nd ed.) and #2. Still waiting for last three to come and praying that they weren't lost during the shipping, I have couple of questions for you, veterans:

1. Does SK EP #1 2nd ed. make Beyond the Beaches obsolete (therefore can I sell/give away that one)?
  2. I've heard very good opinions about Oregon corner cutter, but I have no clue where to buy it in EU with shipping to Poland. Could someone buy some for me and send it to the Old Country?
  3. I'm having the same problems with Krylon Clear 1311 Matte Finish, my last can is long time empty and gone. I was using two light coats on each side, approximately 15 minutes between each coat and then let it dry for the rest of the day. Is it ok?
  4. What is the recommend thickness for plexiglass to put it on a map?
That's all for now, at the end of the month I'm going to buy me some Deluxe ASL Redux. Am I correct to assume that this one makes Streets of Fire and Hedgerow Hell obsolete and I don't have to search for them at eBay?

I'm so excited that I'm back to the hobby, you have no idea!

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So I've returned to the game, and started to buy, re-buy and expand my collection - at least a product each month. Other than that I'll post here questions about what module to buy, which one made which one obsolete, how to laminate, where to buy counter clipper and so forth.

Starting off with a big bang, I've received Decision at Elst and ordered ASL mug, and ASL SK #4 PTO with Expansion Packs #1 (2nd ed.) and #2. Still waiting for last three to come and praying that they weren't lost during the shipping, I have couple of questions for you, veterans:

1. Does SK EP #1 2nd ed. make Beyond the Beaches obsolete (therefore can I sell/give away that one)?
  2. I've heard very good opinions about Oregon corner cutter, but I have no clue where to buy it in EU with shipping to Poland. Could someone buy some for me and send it to the Old Country?
  3. I'm having the same problems with Krylon Clear 1311 Matte Finish, my last can is long time empty and gone. I was using two light coats on each side, approximately 15 minutes between each coat and then let it dry for the rest of the day. Is it ok?
  4. What is the recommend thickness for plexiglass to put it on a map?
That's all for now, at the end of the month I'm going to buy me some Deluxe ASL Redux. Am I correct to assume that this one makes Streets of Fire and Hedgerow Hell obsolete and I don't have to search for them at eBay?

Warp factor 9 Scotty

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I've heard very good opinions about Oregon corner cutter, but I have no clue where to buy it in EU with shipping to Poland. Could someone buy some for me and send it to the Old Country?
There are various versions of the Oregon Counter Clipper.

I recommend the Deluxe Version with 2mm.

I know that there is a place in France, i.e. within the EU where you can buy it. That way, you won't have any fuss with customs and have better protection if anything is amiss.

For a certain time there were reports of some inner part of the handle breaking after a couple of thousand counters clipped. Others of the same type seem to work forever without issue. I one that broke after ca. 5000 counters and got a replacement for it which worked fine for the rest of my kit (appox. another 20.000 counters) without issue.

Here are some links (about 3 years old) that give you more info. I think the French store is not among them, though:
Note that the links are kind of mashed - copy/pasting them in here has made several links out of one. But it will be enough to get you going.

Counter Clipping:

Links Tools:

http://www.oregonlam.com/Paper_Finishing_Tools_Corner_Rounders_Badge_Slot_Punches_Trimmers_Cutters_Round_eyelets.html

The follwing one is the correct one!
Oregon Laminations 2mm Deluxe Corner Rounder (C006)– Demo

Links Threads:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/822240/oregon-laminations-2mm-clippers/page/1

Links 'Where to Buy':

https://www.amazon.com/Radius-Corner-Rounder-Cutter-Heavy/dp/B0048IVWTI?tag=article-boardgamegeek-20

(3mm)

https://www.amazon.com/Radius-Corner-Rounder-Cutter-Heavy/dp/B008CG7D1S?tag=article-boardgamegeek-20

(2mm)

http://www.oregonlam.com/

http://www.oregonlam.com/Paper_Finishing_Tools_Corner_Rounders_Badge_Slot_Punches_Trimmers_Cutters_Round_eyelets.html

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If you are planning to (re-)do your storage solution with RAACO, this one here might be for you.

Note, that it does not include the Korea Module nor the Vichy-/Free-French from the new French module. But it can serve as a basis if ever there is one.

von Marwitz

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Welcome back to the forum, as well, I've missed your commentary. Elst is a fun little product, I enjoyed my CG playthrough with my regular opponent. We used full ASL rules for it, and seemed to work well.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Thank you all for you replies and hope more to come! Another quickie - is there a new edition of ASL SK #2? On the MMP site it simply states that it's SK 2 and that's all, whereas at BGG they say that this module has two editions (don't know if I'll have to replace my old one, or is it just a mere reprint).

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thank you all for you replies and hope more to come! Another quickie - is there a new edition of ASL SK #2? On the MMP site it simply states that it's SK 2 and that's all, whereas at BGG they say that this module has two editions (don't know if I'll have to replace my old one, or is it just a mere reprint).
I believe it's just a reprint, it may have some errata corrected.

Gavin

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
I think so, too - SK #1 25th Ann. Ed. has stated on the cover that it has updated rules and every other module is also mentioned at the official site as first/second/etc. edition, so I guess it's just reprint without incorporated errata. But better to ask. ;)

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
IIRC, there was one counter changed in the 2016 (2018?) re-print. A "First Fire" counter became a German 5-4-8 or something like that.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
The same issue with ASL SK #3, as I see now - are there any changes between prints?

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Ok, so it'll take longer than I thought. As of this moment the plan is:

February - ASL SK 2 & 3, ASLRB, Beyond Valor.
March - Deluxe ASL, Armies of Oblivion.
April - Croix de Guerre.
May - For King and Country.
June - Forgotten War.
July - Red Factories.
August - Hatten in Flames.

In the meantime waiting for preorders.

Last edited:

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
So, ASL SK #2, ASLRB and Beyond Valor ordered today, ASL SK #3 about a week ago! And waiting, I'm still waiting for my end of January order to come - hopefully it'll not be lost during shipment, I know though that overseas orders from US can go quite a while. I'll start to worry in about a month.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Well, I already have a driver's licence, but since I haven't used it in about 23 years, I'd certainly go for Croix de Guerre. YMMV though.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
So, in a couple of days "Armies of Oblivion" and "Croix de Guerre 2nd edition" should be ready for pick-up from my local store. Still waiting for "For King and Country" and "Forgotten War: Korea 1950-1953" to arrive (perhaps at the end of June). Next month "Hatten in Flames" and "Red Factories" - I just hope they won't go OOP in a matter of 30 days!

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
And so, "Red Factories" are waiting for me for pick-up from local store, I assume that "Hatten in Flames" will be next day or two! And still waiting for "For King and Country" with "Forgotten War: Korea 1950-1953" (those two should presumably arrive by the middle of July).

Next I thought that I'll hunt for "Yanks" 2nd ed., but since MMP promised that they'll reprint it next year, I'll wait. I'll miss Doomed Battalions 3rd ed., "Hakkaa Päälle " (plus "Rising Sun" and "Hollow Legions" on pre-orders). I know that someone in MMP said that they want to do a DB reprint too, so I think I'll look for the Finnish module.

Any ideas as to whether or not The Company has plans for reprinting it? Or if not, where I could get it? Next month, ofcourse, cause I've ended my ASL shopping spree today for the next 30 days.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
FKaC, KFW and HiF are already waiting for me! I'll pick'em up tomorrow/in tuesday, cause today after my second anti-covid 19 vaccine I resemble more of '45 Dresden than of a human being.

And then what? Maybe the true money-burning voyage of getting OOP HASL's?