Manila VASL map available now!

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Sword and Fire map is now available through the normal board picker interface - enter SaF and your VASL should reach out to the board archive and pull it down.

It's not available on the CG boards section of vasl.info yet, but it'll get there soon.

bdSaF is large for a VASL board (24MB) and covers the entire map (physical maps 1-6). If people want, we can talk about splitting it into separate map sections like we did with FB, but IMO that experience was painful because stitching those four FB maps together was rough. But I'm open to suggestions/complaints.

As with most HASL maps, LOS determination is not enabled, although the LOS string works as normal. I'll let you know if that changes (ie, if we build out a LOSdata file for this map). Given how large the map is (A1 to 4T86), I have doubts about that.

Thanks to Doug Rimmer for getting this set up. Lemme know if you encounter issues with it.

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The Sword and Fire map is now available through the normal board picker interface - enter SaF and your VASL should reach out to the board archive and pull it down.
Firstly thanks top everyone who worked on this...the map elves are awesome. At the risk of looking like an idiot though I am going to ask what the heck is the normal board picker interface?

I have VASL 6.6.3.1 and VASSAL 3.6.5. Trying to select it here didn't work for me even though it shows up in the list:

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
That is the normal board picker.
just tried with vassal 3.6.6 and vasl 6.6.3.1 and after 3-4 seconds to download it appears.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep, and after you type in "SaF" (without the quotes), your system will look for the map on your local drive (in your boards folder) and if it doesn't find it, it'll go out to the vasl boards archive on the internet and look for the SaF board and pull it down to your machine. Since it's a large board, that could take a bit of time, so be patient.

Lemme know if this doesnt work. It's a large board file, but it's still just 24 MB, so it shouldn't be THAT slow.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

It's not available on the CG boards section of vasl.info yet, but it'll get there soon.

bdSaF is large for a VASL board (24MB) and covers the entire map (physical maps 1-6). If people want, we can talk about splitting it into separate map sections like we did with FB, but IMO that experience was painful because stitching those four FB maps together was rough. But I'm open to suggestions/complaints.

As with most HASL maps, LOS determination is not enabled, although the LOS string works as normal. I'll let you know if that changes (ie, if we build out a LOSdata file for this map). Given how large the map is (A1 to 4T86), I have doubts about that.

Thanks to Doug Rimmer for getting this set up. Lemme know if you encounter issues with it.
Thanks for your work dude.

Perhaps if you can give the Hex Coordinates of the individual maps, we can just crop them neatly when we play individual scenarios?

FMFCB

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llCanada
Yep, and after you type in "SaF" (without the quotes), your system will look for the map on your local drive (in your boards folder) and if it doesn't find it, it'll go out to the vasl boards archive on the internet and look for the SaF board and pull it down to your machine. Since it's a large board, that could take a bit of time, so be patient.

Lemme know if this doesnt work. It's a large board file, but it's still just 24 MB, so it shouldn't be THAT slow.
My system is not going out to the vasl board archive to look for the board file. Is there a setting to change that?
Thanks

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My system is not going out to the vasl board archive to look for the board file. Is there a setting to change that?
Thanks
How can you tell that it isn't looking for board updates?

When a board needs to be updated you will see a message in the chat window that VASL is trying to do that. If no update is needed then you just get a "Using bdXX (v6.x)".

There is no preference or setting for this. The code to see if a board needs updating and if so, to perform the update, runs every time a board is selected. If it doesn't work, the reason is usually an internet connection issue or a file permissions issue. Make sure you are connected to the internet and make sure that your boards directory is not in an inaccessible location (inaccessible to VASSAL, such as C:\ProgramFiles\. . . . ).

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Cool...thanks guys...I guess its time to upgrade to vassal 3.6.6 and vasl 6.6.3.1 .
You'd be better to upgrade to VASL6.6.4. It came out in April and has been very stable. I am getting far less reports of errors than I usually get. Maybe I am learning something . . .

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Wow, this is awesome! Good work VASL elves! Sensory overload for sure - kinda like looking at a new magazine when I was 14!

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Question came up on Facebook about cropping this beast. Even though hexes on the right hand side of the map have names like "4J3", VASL is going to call it JJJJ3; use JJJJ to crop to the row not 4J. Worked when I tried it that way.