Manila questions

LM1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For CGV do the Americans have to select the attack chit for the first CG scenario. Trying to determine if the initial CG scenario counts toward the 4 attack chit in a row limit.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
See CG11. Japanese set up first so are the Defender in the Initial Scenario for each CG. That said, the Americans are not required to select an Attack Chit in the Initial Scenario, but I would advise against that. Giving the Japanese a chance for either a Japanese attack where they initially dictate what happens where, or, giving them an Idle Day which puts the Americans behind in the count right from the start. Your call. If they do select an Attack Chit in the Initial Scenario, then yes, it does count against the max of four in a row.

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A 2.9 does not allow setup of a unit in a location it could not enter. Was it the intent of the designers that the 6 hex island at 4H10 in the Japanese setup area of SF1 Race to the River may not be used by the Japanese?

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A 2.9 does not allow setup of a unit in a location it could not enter. Was it the intent of the designers that the 6 hex island at 4H10 in the Japanese setup area of SF1 Race to the River may not be used by the Japanese?
SF3 River hexes do not affect setup (A2.9).

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
You guys are all discussing the Manila module, but I still don't have mine. The customs have been holding the shipment destined for the UK for over a week now.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
For CGV do the Americans have to select the attack chit for the first CG scenario. Trying to determine if the initial CG scenario counts toward the 4 attack chit in a row limit.
The Step where you chooes Attack/Idle chits is not performed when playing the CG Initial Scenario.

I think the Americans are assumed to have choosen an Attack chit (and the Japanese an Idle) for the CG Initial Scenario.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As Klas points out, 20.623 Initiative Determination is not (per 20.6) one of the Steps performed before playing a CG Initial Scenario.
The American automatically attacks without spending an Attack chit.
The Attack chit availability was adjusted to account for this.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You guys are all discussing the Manila module, but I still don't have mine. The customs have been holding the shipment destined for the UK for over a week now.
That stinks. It is worth the wait.

buser333

Reaction score
Since they are not listed under SF19, are Palm Tree Stump hexes concealment terrain?

If not, are they considered open ground for purposes of HIP Fortifications (SF5)?

Last edited:

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since they are not listed under SF19, are Palm Tree Stump hexes concealment terrain?

If not, are they considered open ground for purposes of HIP Fortifications (SF5)?
Not Concealment terrain....unless you are like 8-10 inches tall and could the hide behind the stumps....treat as Open Ground for HIP Fortifications.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SSR SF6: Trenches

SF 6. TRENCHES: Trenches (including A-T Ditches) are considered to "connect" (as per B30.8) to (but not through) all ADJACENT SF Cellar Locations [EXC: if the ground level above the SF Cellar has been rubbled] (see also 4.42 and 4.45, last sentence).

I'm so used to RB/VoTG trench rules where they connect to all ADJACENT building/rubble Locations...and at ground level in the case of a building...UNLESS a cellar exists.

May have misplaced some trenches in my Japanese setup since I'm pretty sure a trench normally does not continue outside of it's hex to "connect" to a building or woods like a roadblock does.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HIP Fortification question

SF 5. FORTIFICATIONS: Hidden-Mines/Entrenchments (including A-T Ditches; B27.56) may set up in a paved-road/Ramp-(5.2)/Wide-City-Boulevard-(10.1)/Railroad hex that also contains shellholes. Trenches (not A-T Ditches) may set up in a paved road hex adjacent to a SF Cellar Location (SSR SF6; 4.42). Japanese Fortifications (including mines) in open ground (including road) hexes may not set up using HIP.

So at first it sounds like mines/entrenchments can set up HIP in paved-roads...etc. provided that hex also contains shellholes. But then it says Japanese fortifications may not set up HIP in open ground (including road).

So does the reference to "open ground" include shellholes?
Shellholes are Open Ground for this purpose.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I'm so used to RB/VoTG trench rules where they connect to all ADJACENT building/rubble Locations...and at ground level in the case of a building...UNLESS a cellar exists.
Yes, in Manila it's different - a trench only "connect" the adjacent Cellar Locations.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, in Manila it's different - a trench only "connect" the adjacent Cellar Locations.
Agreed. Wished I'd have noticed that before my setup...LOL

But my second question...is it true that a trench normally does not continue outside of it's hex to "connect" to a building or woods like a roadblock does?

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hopefully some more industrious ASL'r than me, creates a Sword & Fire Manila Terrain Chart.
With all the unique terrain in this product, it would be very useful.
I have one that was fan created for BRT ( Sean Deller ) and VotG - and I believe MMP included one in FB.
Would be a great add on.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hopefully some more industrious ASL'r than me, creates a Sword & Fire Manila Terrain Chart.
With all the unique terrain in this product, it would be very useful.
I have one that was fan created for BRT ( Sean Deller ) and VotG - and I believe MMP included one in FB.
Would be a great add on.
It was actually discussed about a year ago. Guess it got tabled for one reason or another.