Manila questions

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We treated bicycles that were not possessed at scenario end, the same way you would treat a non-possessed support weapon.
Thought so...just wanted to confirm.

BTW - interesting someone else purchased bicycles in the CG. Handy way for the Japanese to get around and dirt cheap too. I thought I was the only one to ever do that.
Bought them for that exact reason...but you know...great minds and all that...:D

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Senior moment...do the bridge "pilings" block/hinder LOS?

View attachment 23740
Short answer...."no".
Repetti exercised his artistic license freely (as allowed) and put some stuff on map that does not impact play.....like the nets across the tennis courts. The other "images" of destroyed bridges in the Pasig also offer no hindrances or effect play.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Short answer...."no".
Repetti exercised his artistic license freely (as allowed) and put some stuff on map that does not impact play.....like the nets across the tennis courts. The other "images" of destroyed bridges in the Pasig also offer no hindrances or effect play.
But could we take a moment to admire the fact that the wake is bigger on the ocean side than the upriver side?

Jeffery

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Deliver us From Evil: SF6
On the scenario card, the playable area marked in red on the little map doesn't match the area defined by hex rows and columns. The little map seems to show a much smaller area. I wonder if I should just ignore the little map. Whichever is correct can make a difference to the scenario.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MMP did the "red" playing area. Still, those are sort of a "guide" IMHO rather than a definitive diagram. The hex coordinates listed on the scenario card for the playing area are correct. In all instances you should go by what hexrows/coordinates are listed as the playing area rather than using the red highlighted area on the map depiction for what is in play.

cwillmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is most likely a very senior moment but ..... Can an AFVs disabled MA/MG be repaired in the RePh?

cwillmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's the RePh, Conclusion of Melee. A Japanese MMC and an American AFV are in Melee. A THH is created for the first round of CC and there is no effect on either side. Can the Japanese attampe to create THHs in any/all subsequent rounds of CC?

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Japanese Offboard Observers

Per the rule..."Japanese Offboard Observers are at Level 3 in a friendly-Controlled west-edge hex..."

Is that ANY west-edge hex...(i.e., land or water)?

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Per the rule..."Japanese Offboard Observers are at Level 3 in a friendly-Controlled west-edge hex..."

Land or water in Manila. Japanese control all hexes along the west map edge at start. It reflects the historical events of the Japanese placing snipers and artillery observers on the sunken ships out in Manila Bay

Land or water map edge hexes....yes. It reflects the historical events of the Japanese placing snipers and artillery observers on some of the sunken ships out in Manila Bay.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, the Japanese can take Control of these hexes.

SSR CG11:
"...Otherwise, RGs enter from offboard on/after Turn 1 on friendly-Controlled hexes per the SSR for that CG. "

The Americans must Control the hexes they want to use as entry hexes....and per SSR CG18 they Control all those at the start of each CG:
"CG18. LOCATION CONTROL: At CG start, the Americans Control their entry hexes for the Initial Scenario and all Locations in their setup area; the Japanese Control all the rest."
Follow-up question (re: CG V in this case)

Regarding reinforcements and their possible entry locations...other CGs (such as RF and VotG) have language such as:
  • enter on any friendly-Controlled (at scenario start)
  • may enter on any map-edge hexes that are currently friendly Controlled and were friendly-Controlled at scenario start
Manila doesn't appear to have the same restrictions. For the Americans it seems the rules simply say:
  • CG-V SSR: American reinforcements enter along the north/east/south edge(s)...
  • SSR CG 11: RGs enter from offboard on/after Turn I on friendly-Controlled hexes per the SSR for that CG (bullet point above)
So for example. The Japanese have gained control of some north edge hexes. In a subsequent scenario, on Turn 1 the Americans enter on the north edge but per the second bullet point they did so only an American controlled locations. Then some of those units regain control of some locations that were previously controlled by the Japanese at scenario start.

Question: It is now Turn 2...since it does not say (at scenario start) in Manila rules...can the Americans now enter in those north edge locations that they just gained control of in Turn 1?

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any thoughts @klasmalmstrom or @ASLSARGE on the above entry location question (post #394) ????

Usually not in a big hurry...but we are getting set up for the next CG day...:)
Control of map edge hexes can change hands numerous times during play.....but if the Japanese player, especially, is spending time worrying about taking map edge hexes from the Americans rather than keeping control of key victory locations, he will lose badly......taken from experience. Let them enter....kill them once they are on board.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Control of map edge hexes can change hands numerous times during play.....but if the Japanese player, especially, is spending time worrying about taking map edge hexes from the Americans rather than keeping control of key victory locations, he will lose badly......taken from experience. Let them enter....kill them once they are on board.
Thanks for the clarification.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK Neil and I played a quick SF scenario the other day in preparation for CG II.
Starting to think about CG II and we discussed whether the Japanese should try to use Set DCs to blow 4B45 and 3W47, i.e. is it worth it.
Normally a bridge that is destroyed into a DEEP water obstacle is simply removed, otherwise it results in Rubble in the gully/river.
The Estero is defined as DEEP but the one hex wide canals are "fordable".

If the bridges are destroyed is there rubble place because it is fordable? (which is mentioned in the river depth paragraph....)
If so, how do you play that hex? is it rubble or canal/Esteros?

Another Esteros question, the way it is written only if <= 2 hexsides are covered by water makes it fordable. That makes 4E44 not fordable for example.
A hex like 4R51 (that entire canal basically) technically has 4 hexsides of water, but I assume the 2 are considered artistic? How are people playing that? Is the 4R canal fordable?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Another Esteros question, the way it is written only if <= 2 hexsides are covered by water makes it fordable. That makes 4E44 not fordable for example.
A hex like 4R51 (that entire canal basically) technically has 4 hexsides of water, but I assume the 2 are considered artistic? How are people playing that? Is the 4R canal fordable?
Its is not the number of hexsides covered by water that decides whether it is fordable or not - it is number of adjacent water hexes. I don't have the map available so I can't check these specific hexes....