Manila questions

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
  1. Yes, Cellars can be fortified.
  2. To begin I refer to SF3 Water Obstacles and Tides, and 7.2 Culvert. The culvert may only be entered at low tide. In the stand alone scenarios the tide is always high in daytime scenarios and low tide in night time scenarios. For the CG's you have the option of using the Optional Tide Chart. We used the standard Sewer entry/movement/exit rules since players would be familiar with those rules. In "reality" the entrance and exit were much more like a Red Barricades culvert. We found moving through the culvert to be more problematic than using other routes to gain access to that building.
  3. If P16 Cellar is fortified a unit moving through the culvert would have to remain in the culvert in P16 until the enemy unit in the Cellar was eliminated/broken/reduced. They are not required to "bounce back".
  4. Yes, warehouses may be fortified. Yes, access across the X15/Y14 hexside would be denied if fortified.
  5. Warehouses have four high outer walls, but no interior walls/rooms/hallways like a standard building. FFMO/FFNAM can apply within a warehouse (barring smoke/debris/rubble). Concealment is lost just like moving in Open Ground to KEU within the same Warehouse building.
Thanks for the answers. BTW, scenario SF19 is a day scenario with Low Tide. Given the limited ways to enter Fort Santiago, it seems important for this scenario.
More questions:
  1. Is there LOS from the Culvert Location in P16 to the Cellar in P16? If so, is the TEM for the Culvert Location +0?
  2. Can a Broken unit rout from the P16 Culvert back to P13? Or is a broken unit in a Culvert eliminated?
  3. When does a unit moving from P13 to P16 enter the Cellar? In the MPh? Or the APh?
  4. Do units moving through the Culvert exit Concealed?
Thanks again,
Steve

jw69

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per SF5, Japanese minefields and fortifications in open ground, road, shellhole and palm tree stumps may not be setup using HIP.

Do the strength factors and type of the minefields need to be revealed, or just that there is a minefield in the hex (i.e. can they setup using Known Minefield counters with the strength side down)?

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per SF5, Japanese minefields and fortifications in open ground, road, shellhole and palm tree stumps may not be setup using HIP.

Do the strength factors and type of the minefields need to be revealed, or just that there is a minefield in the hex (i.e. can they setup using Known Minefield counters with the strength side down)?
Type and strength side down....not known.

cwillmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Regarding Cemetery Gates -

The 12.7 fires at the 666. Is it subject to Area Fire since it crosses a Cemetary Gate? Per SF 11.5 "... all fire attacks across such a hexside by units without Wall Advantage are treated as Area Fire".

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Regarding Cemetery Gates -

View attachment 22780

The 12.7 fires at the 666. Is it subject to Area Fire since it crosses a Cemetary Gate? Per SF 11.5 "... all fire attacks across such a hexside by units without Wall Advantage are treated as Area Fire".
If the shot from the 12.7AA passes through the gate, and the target does NOT claim Wall Advantage, then yes....the shot is treated as Area Fire. Obviously the 666 could only claim WA in 4B65. Still, 6 down 2 is usually a pretty good shot.

cwillmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the shot from the 12.7AA passes through the gate, and the target does NOT claim Wall Advantage, then yes....the shot is treated as Area Fire. Obviously the 666 could only claim WA in 4B65. Still, 6 down 2 is usually a pretty good shot.
A further clarification please.

SF 11.5 states that fire attacks across a Cemetery Gate hex-side BY units without Wall Advantage are treated as Area Fire. It does not say anything about the target unit. Your reply above says Area Fire is dependent on the target unit (not) claiming Wall Advantage.

Which is correct? Or am I missing something altogether (a not uncommon event)?

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A further clarification please.

SF 11.5 states that fire attacks across a Cemetery Gate hex-side BY units without Wall Advantage are treated as Area Fire. It does not say anything about the target unit. Your reply above says Area Fire is dependent on the target unit (not) claiming Wall Advantage.

Which is correct? Or am I missing something altogether (a not uncommon event)?
Maybe I worded it weird....All shots through a gate are Area Fire. If the target is not adjacent to the gate FFMO/FFNAM can apply. If adjacent can claim Wall Advantage.

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hi,
Two questions about scenario SF2:
  1. According to SSR2, the assault boats ( "German" ) have 4 MP ? Please confirm.
  2. The Japanese OB must set up in "building/rubble hexes". Including the Trench ? It is not possible by the ASLRB. So ?
Thanks for the answers.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi,
Two questions about scenario SF2:
  1. According to SSR2, the assault boats ( "German" ) have 4 MP ? Please confirm.
  2. The Japanese OB must set up in "building/rubble hexes". Including the Trench ? It is not possible by the ASLRB. So ?
Thanks for the answers.
#1 - Correct. The SSR says "motorized", and E5.11 says the 2 MP is for "to represent Assault Boats that have no motor or Inherent Driver"

#2 - see errata here: https://mmpgamers.com/support/asl/Manila_Errata_v4.pdf
SF2 Power Struggle On Provisor: In the Japanese setup instructions, after “hexes” add “[EXC: Fortifications]”.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the answers. BTW, scenario SF19 is a day scenario with Low Tide. Given the limited ways to enter Fort Santiago, it seems important for this scenario.
More questions:
  1. Is there LOS from the Culvert Location in P16 to the Cellar in P16? If so, is the TEM for the Culvert Location +0?
  2. Can a Broken unit rout from the P16 Culvert back to P13? Or is a broken unit in a Culvert eliminated?
  3. When does a unit moving from P13 to P16 enter the Cellar? In the MPh? Or the APh?
  4. Do units moving through the Culvert exit Concealed?
Thanks again,
Steve
Just pinging this follow-up as it did not get answered.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Well, except that there are some exceptions already in place apparently.
Not really relating to any of those questions though...as far as I can tell....but I could be missing something....I don't have the map handy, so I won't try to answer them at the moment..

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Culvert is treated as a Sewer - so I think those rule answers most of those....
Okay, treated like a sewer. I still have the following questions:
  1. If the Cellar exit is Fortified and contains a squad then does the moving unit remain in the Culvert? Or does the moving unit go back to the other entrance back to the surface?
  2. If a unit is stuck in the Culvert after one turn, is it forced to go back to the other entrance in the next MPh?
  3. If a unit moves through the Culvert and makes a bad Sewer Emergence dr and can't emerge, do they have to go back to the other entrance in the next MPh?
Seems to me that using the Sewer rules is more complicated than it should be. Awkward construct. Essentially, IMHO, there is a Tunnel with some exceptions...

Steve

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Can't really comment on the design decision to treat it like a Sewer.

Do the Sewer rules spell out how to handle those situations? NRBH.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, treated like a sewer. I still have the following questions:
  1. If the Cellar exit is Fortified and contains a squad then does the moving unit remain in the Culvert? Or does the moving unit go back to the other entrance back to the surface?
  2. If a unit is stuck in the Culvert after one turn, is it forced to go back to the other entrance in the next MPh?
  3. If a unit moves through the Culvert and makes a bad Sewer Emergence dr and can't emerge, do they have to go back to the other entrance in the next MPh?
Seems to me that using the Sewer rules is more complicated than it should be. Awkward construct. Essentially, IMHO, there is a Tunnel with some exceptions...

Steve
1) yes, no. 2) no. 3) no

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can't really comment on the design decision to treat it like a Sewer.

Do the Sewer rules spell out how to handle those situations? NRBH.
Units that start in a Sewer must move to a new Sewer Location during the MPh. It appears as if this rule is suspended for the Culvert...
Steve