Manila questions

BraveDave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is the correct intent of the SSR. It was written that way due to a couple early playtests where the Americans were able to reveal and remove most of the Set DC's prior to the Japanese being able to detonate them. Secretly recording the locations of the Set DC's and the possessing units eliminated this issue for the most part.
Thanks. We did do that the first time I played this scenario, but just wanted to make sure. I did overrun empty bridge hexes with tanks in accordance with A9.74 - Random SW/Gun Destruction in an effort to destroy any set DCs he may have had there. Didn't work out so well as I got two of my tanks crit'd.

BraveDave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since a HIP THH can detonate an A-T Set DC, I assume they can do the same for a Buried Bomb. There is a Q&A that says the attempt to detonate a Set DC is counted as use of a SW. If the THH attempts to detonate a Buried Bomb is it eliminated or can it continue to function as a THH?

LM1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had ask a question earlier of FT and DC retention however my opponent and myself still are in disagreement on the answer. In an attempt to clarify I will be more specific.

1. If a DC is used and rolls less than a 12 on it‘s usage DR is that DC retained for the next Campaign Game Scenario?

2. If a FT rolls a 10 or 11 on a usage DR is that FT retained for the next Campaign Game Scenario?

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since a HIP THH can detonate an A-T Set DC, I assume they can do the same for a Buried Bomb. There is a Q&A that says the attempt to detonate a Set DC is counted as use of a SW. If the THH attempts to detonate a Buried Bomb is it eliminated or can it continue to function as a THH?
Sorry to say you assumed wrong. A Buried Bomb never takes counter form, so it may not be possessed by any unit. It comes with its very own pseudo bomb button pusher guy who sits in the hole beside it and when an enemy unit enters that hex he sets it off and goes to visit his ancestors. Sort of like panzerfausts. No counter for it in ASL. Germans can roll for it, but if that unit is eliminated does the faust take counter form and lay on the ground waiting for someone to pick it up? No. Same applies to a Buried bomb. Save your THH's for better things.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had ask a question earlier of FT and DC retention however my opponent and myself still are in disagreement on the answer. In an attempt to clarify I will be more specific.

1. If a DC is used and rolls less than a 12 on it‘s usage DR is that DC retained for the next Campaign Game Scenario?
No
2. If a FT rolls a 10 or 11 on a usage DR is that FT retained for the next Campaign Game Scenario?
No

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Civilian Intelligence Table (CIT) uses the phrase "closest to the purchaser" on several occasions.

SSR CG 19 says in part, "All revelations must occur within 5 hexes of an armed unit belonging to the purchaser."

May I safely assume that all results in the CIT must still be within 5 hexes of an armed unit?

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At the end of the Initial Scenario of CG V...assuming no Japanese unit entered any north, south or east map edge hexes...do the Americans still control all those hexes for perimeter purposes and/or as eligible entry hexes for the next scenario?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
At the end of the Initial Scenario of CG V...assuming no Japanese unit entered any north, south or east map edge hexes...do the Americans still control all those hexes for perimeter purposes and/or as eligible entry hexes for the next scenario?
Per SSR CG18 - the Americans Control all of their entry hexes. So unless the Japanese take Control of those some how, the Americans would still Control them and thusly can use them for entry in later CG scenarios. I.e., Control of these changes per normal Control rules (and the rules for drawing Perimeters).

"CG18. LOCATION CONTROL: At CG start, the Americans Control their entry hexes for the Initial Scenario and all Locations in their setup area; the Japanese Control all the rest."

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per SSR CG18 - the Americans Control all of their entry hexes. So unless the Japanese take Control of those some how, the Americans would still Control them and thusly can use them for entry in later CG scenarios. I.e., Control of these changes per normal Control rules (and the rules for drawing Perimeters).

"CG18. LOCATION CONTROL: At CG start, the Americans Control their entry hexes for the Initial Scenario and all Locations in their setup area; the Japanese Control all the rest."
I agree that the Americans can still use them for entry in later scenarios (unless Japanese take control of them).

Regarding the perimeter...that seems a little wonky...but we'll re-draw our perimeter and see what it looks like.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Regarding the perimeter...that seems a little wonky...but we'll re-draw our perimeter and see what it looks like.
Can't really help you there - but it should be pretty much like the rules for Perimeter drawing in other HASL, I think.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another setup question from a different thread:

After the initial scenario of CG V is complete...can the Japanese then setup north of the Pasig River and on the two islands in the Pasig River in any hexes they still control (including the hexes they auto-controlled from the beginning of the CG)?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden

After the initial scenario of CG V is complete...can the Japanese then setup north of the Pasig River and on the two islands in the Pasig River in any hexes they still control (including the hexes they auto-controlled from the beginning of the CG)?
I believe they can. The River does not affect setup, per A2.9.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Yes they can in any locations they control.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How are possessed, dismantled 81mm mortars handled in the Refit Phase?
  1. Are they retained offboard in their dm state?
  2. If #1 is true...must they remain dm for setup purposes anywhere in a legal setup area for the next scenario?
  3. If #2 is false...may they set up assembled and concealed anywhere in a legal setup area?

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How are possessed, dismantled 81mm mortars handled in the Refit Phase?
  1. Are they retained offboard in their dm state? Yes
  2. If #1 is true...must they remain dm for setup purposes anywhere in a legal setup area for the next scenario? They begin the next scenario in dm state as that is how they were "received" in the previous RePh.
  3. If #2 is false...may they set up assembled and concealed anywhere in a legal setup area?

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
There are no rules for Partial Orchard Road hexes, i.e. with only two leafy symbols (ex: hexes 2M56 and 2O51).
So even if it seems weird, I guess they are Inherent Terrain all over the hexes (hexsides included) except through the road depiction.
Am I right?
Same question about Palm Tree Stumps Road hexes with only two brown symbols (ex: hexes 2M65 and 2Q72).
Thanks.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
There are no rules for Partial Orchard Road hexes, i.e. with only two leafy symbols (ex: hexes 2M56 and 2O51).
So even if it seems weird, I guess they are Inherent Terrain all over the hexes (hexsides included) except through the road depiction.
Am I right?
Same question about Palm Tree Stumps Road hexes with only two brown symbols (ex: hexes 2M65 and 2Q72).
Thanks.
Correct, both rule SF17.1 and SF17.2 says 2-4.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Questions:
  1. Can SF Cellars be Fortified?
  2. What is the process for moving through the P13-P16 Culvert? Can't get lost. Is there a Sewer emergence dr for purposes of coming out in the APh and DFPh? Or is emergence automatic similar to a tunnel?
  3. If the P16 Cellar is fortified with a enemy squad equivalent, what happens to the Culvert moving unit? Is it bounced back to P13? Or stays in the Sewer location of P16?
  4. Can a Warehouse hex be Fortified? If so, could entry be denied across the open building hexside? Example X15 and Y14.
  5. If firing from one Warehouse Location to another in the same building can FFMO apply? If no, is Concealment lost as if non-Open Ground?
Thanks,
Steve

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
  1. Yes, Cellars can be fortified.
  2. To begin I refer to SF3 Water Obstacles and Tides, and 7.2 Culvert. The culvert may only be entered at low tide. In the stand alone scenarios the tide is always high in daytime scenarios and low tide in night time scenarios. For the CG's you have the option of using the Optional Tide Chart. We used the standard Sewer entry/movement/exit rules since players would be familiar with those rules. In "reality" the entrance and exit were much more like a Red Barricades culvert. We found moving through the culvert to be more problematic than using other routes to gain access to that building.
  3. If P16 Cellar is fortified a unit moving through the culvert would have to remain in the culvert in P16 until the enemy unit in the Cellar was eliminated/broken/reduced. They are not required to "bounce back".
  4. Yes, warehouses may be fortified. Yes, access across the X15/Y14 hexside would be denied if fortified.
  5. Warehouses have four high outer walls, but no interior walls/rooms/hallways like a standard building. FFMO/FFNAM can apply within a warehouse (barring smoke/debris/rubble). Concealment is lost just like moving in Open Ground to KEU within the same Warehouse building.