Manila questions

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Follow-up about Japanese AA Guns:

Refit Phase and Gun movement

CG10. GUNS & BORE SIGHTING: Guns of any type may set up non-emplaced in an Intramuros Wall Location (9.11) in the Initial Scenario of a CG, but thereafter may not be moved from the Intramuros Wall. Otherwise, non-vehicular Guns may be moved during setup ≤ 3...hexes from its current Location...

So a Japanese gun that sets up in an Intramuros Wall location may not be removed FROM the wall...but may be moved ≤ 3 hexes to ANOTHER Intramuros Wall Location?
Of course I forgot to post the EXC in CG 10 where it says "...[EXC: Guns marked No Move and Guns (other than 70-90mm mortars) set up in a pillbox, Fortified Location, or in upper levels of a building may not move]..."

So in this case the AA Guns that can be moved on the Intramuros Wall are any that are not No Move? M# does not apply?

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A simpler question:
The Forgotten War corrected counters;

what was wrong with the POA-CWS-Hsomething tank? Sorry, I don’t have my new or old counters in front of me to compare.
I do recall it is very frightening when it is coming towards any variety of brown cardboard…

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HIP Fortification question

SF 5. FORTIFICATIONS: Hidden-Mines/Entrenchments (including A-T Ditches; B27.56) may set up in a paved-road/Ramp-(5.2)/Wide-City-Boulevard-(10.1)/Railroad hex that also contains shellholes. Trenches (not A-T Ditches) may set up in a paved road hex adjacent to a SF Cellar Location (SSR SF6; 4.42). Japanese Fortifications (including mines) in open ground (including road) hexes may not set up using HIP.

So at first it sounds like mines/entrenchments can set up HIP in paved-roads...etc. provided that hex also contains shellholes. But then it says Japanese fortifications may not set up HIP in open ground (including road).

So does the reference to "open ground" include shellholes?

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cellars

I can't find anything that says they are...so I'm assuming cellars are NOT fortified by default?

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Buildings/rooftops

I have completed my setup as the Japanese for CG V...and I just now noticed that I apparently did not read the Manila building rules close enough.

SF4.3 ROOFTOPS: Rooftops (B23.8) are in effect for any stone or adobe building with a printed non-steeple stairwell symbol...

So rooftops are playable only in a stone/adobe building that has a square stairway symbol?

Seems clear now that I read it more closely...but out of curiosity I wonder what the rationale is for this?

Designers?

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Buildings/rooftops

I have completed my setup as the Japanese for CG V...and I just now noticed that I apparently did not read the Manila building rules close enough.

SF4.3 ROOFTOPS: Rooftops (B23.8) are in effect for any stone or adobe building with a printed non-steeple stairwell symbol...

So rooftops are playable only in a stone/adobe building that has a square stairway symbol?

Seems clear now that I read it more closely...but out of curiosity I wonder what the rationale is for this?

Designers?
Square or triangle shaped stairwell symbols. Large round center dot is for single hex buildings with an upper level and as such do NOT qualify under SF4.3. It was a simple design decision. Never had any issues with it.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Square or triangle shaped stairwell symbols. Large round center dot is for single hex buildings with an upper level and as such do NOT qualify under SF4.3. It was a simple design decision. Never had any issues with it.
Ok...stone or adobe buildings with printed square or triangle stairwells are the only ones that have a playable rooftop.

Got it...thanks.

EDIT TO ADD:

Well that and the Aquarium.

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Ok...stone or adobe buildings with printed square or triangle stairwells are the only ones that have a playable rooftop.
I think multi-hex stone/adobe buildings with large center dots might qualify as well. Looking into it.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per SFM4.3. Rooftops are in effect for any stone or Adobe building with a printed non steeple stairwell symbol and the Aquarium. Originally it only applied to multihex buildings...forgot it was changed for simplicity.

cwillmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Given that PTO Terrain is not in effect but Manila is in the Pacific Theater of Operations is the Canister Depletion Number 7 or 10?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Note also comment in U.S. Chapter H:

[Note: ETO stands for European Theater of Operations, which in game terms comprises Europe and Sicily. PTO stands for Pacific Theater of Operations, which in game terms equals “vs Japanese”.]