Manila questions

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

I’m very interested in the upcoming Sword & Fire HASL and wanted to ask how many scenarios/ cgs can be played on one map.
Although I admire the scope and scale of this project, unfortunately my gaming space is too limited to support all six maps at the same time, or even three. If possible, it’d be good to have some insight into how much of the product could be played without utilizing multiple maps at the same time. Thanks in advance!

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great! That’s good to know. I figured that S&F would provide opportunities for more casual play but wanted to check before committing.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

I’m very interested in the upcoming Sword & Fire HASL and wanted to ask how many scenarios/ cgs can be played on one map.
Although I admire the scope and scale of this project, unfortunately my gaming space is too limited to support all six maps at the same time, or even three. If possible, it’d be good to have some insight into how much of the product could be played without utilizing multiple maps at the same time. Thanks in advance!
Not sure if this is a real occurrence or not but I heard ASL Sarge used the playtest map to wallpaper his spare bedroom.o_O:whistle:

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Currently 800+ over P#, it cannot get any closer (maybe after the Bastogne game?)

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From Scott Blanton's email update yesterday:
"As of today, the box and counters are finished, and other paper components will soon be headed to the printer."

Assuming no issues pop up during the printing process, I'm hoping end of the month is not overly optimistic.

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Keep in mind that the paper components include the maps, scenarios and HASL chapter. April 30 seems overly-optimistic. Time will tell.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Here's a question: of the five campaign games how many are discrete games vs. how many are short & extended versions of the same campaign game. (In other words how many have either unique start dates or unique map areas?) I'm very much on the fence about this one so I'm weighing the pros and cons more carefully than usual. (I already have several urban HASLs, on the other hand I hate to pass up on a PTO HASL - especially one that doesn't involve beach landings or caves.)

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good questions. See if this helps. CGI depicts the fighting north of the Pasig River, in the business district of Manila. Lots of rubble in narrow confines with lots of high rise buildings. More of a toe to toe battle than the other CG's. CGII depicts the fighting around the large government buildings in central Manila. Lots of open areas with room to maneuver and large fields of fire. CGIII is divided into two phases. It depicts the fighting to take the University/Hospital complex in phase 1 and the tall hotels and warehouse district west of Intramuros in phase 2. CGIV starts with an amphibious river assault and depicts the struggle to take the ancient walled city of Intramuros within downtown Manila. An assault on a fortress unlike anything you may have played previously ( try blasting a breach in those 40 foot thick walls with your 155mm guns ). CGV combines all the CG's and uses the entire map. Each sector of the city is different, which gives each CG a unique "feel".

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for your answer. Is there anything unusual in each ob?
Other than the initial scenario for each CG, you pick your own OB just like any other CG. Japanese have access to lots of fortifications, lots of guns and automatic weapons, OBA including naval rockets, an assortment of squad types (Imperial Marines, regular IJA units, combat engineers, and the majority of their forces are composed of 347's which represent the former sailors, aircraft mechanics, and other naval troops in Manila.....plus their are some 336's which are the Korean laborers and conscripts. The Japanese also have a couple "tricks" up their sleeve which can provide some nasty surprises for the American player.
The Americans have 666's, 667's, combat engineers, lots of guns and OBA, plus the usual parking lot full of vehicles ( you can actually get the chance to use armored dozers for once)..

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you need more Japanese or USMC counters, they are available on counter sheets from MMP by a reputable seller.

Begin getting them extra PTO counters now....