Manila on Preorder

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it's higher costs. Deluxe ASL had a high pre-order number as well.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it's higher costs. Deluxe ASL had a high pre-order number as well.
The website says this:
"Due to the size and nature of this product, we'e putting it on preorder before it is print-ready to assure the validity of its sales before further investing in the high cost of development and printing required for its completion. Depending on how preorders progress, there may (or may not be) a lag in final production after it hits its 950 preorders, but the sooner it hits, the sooner it will come out."

So costs is part of it, but so is "nature of the product", whatever that means. Maybe they were concerned about interest in PTO HASLs?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The website says this:
"Due to the size and nature of this product, we'e putting it on preorder before it is print-ready to assure the validity of its sales before further investing in the high cost of development and printing required for its completion. Depending on how preorders progress, there may (or may not be) a lag in final production after it hits its 950 preorders, but the sooner it hits, the sooner it will come out."

So costs is part of it, but so is "nature of the product", whatever that means. Maybe they were concerned about interest in PTO HASLs?
IIRC the map is huge! Could be a factor.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This item and the Pre-order for Rising Sun are an excellent way to get the Pacific Theater in the front for playing.

I talked to ASLSarge and he states that a Yanks, Rising Sun or the CoB/GH and this module will be all that is required to play the CGs.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MMP wants to make sure 'that dog can hunt' before sending it to the printers.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Up to 850 only 100 to go. Probably take a few more weeks. It has slowed right down.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the broad scope of things, the main US units were the 37th Infantry Division with attached units, and the 1st Cavalry Division with attached units. the 11th Airborne's actions took place further south of the city, so they are not involved in this HASL. If you want a more detailed listing of US units I can provide those tomorrow. All of the units involved, both US and Japanese, are listed in the materials that will come with the HASL rules.

peterd1973

Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llUnited States
In the broad scope of things, the main US units were the 37th Infantry Division with attached units, and the 1st Cavalry Division with attached units. the 11th Airborne's actions took place further south of the city, so they are not involved in this HASL. If you want a more detailed listing of US units I can provide those tomorrow. All of the units involved, both US and Japanese, are listed in the materials that will come with the HASL rules.
Thanks, a more detailed listing would be great.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess the ones still on the fence need a tour of the map, Sarge.

Looking at the map overview on MMP's Manila page, the big red thing at center left is the Walled City of Intramuros. That enclosure on the NW side is Fort Santiago:

Access to Intramuros is controlled by seven Gates: clockwise from the top, we have the Quezon, Parian, Victoria, Real, South, Santa Lucia, and Postago Gates.

They really knew how to build Gates back then (all photos and postcards courtesy of John Tewell's fantastic Flickr page):
Parian Gate:

Postigo Gate:

Real Gate:

Santa Lucia Gate:
'
Pretty imposing defenses, but somehow the Americans found a way:

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess the ones still on the fence need a tour of the map, Sarge.
I've been convinced it's a cool product. I haven't put in a preorder because the announcement said "we're putting this product on preorder super early and have no intention of actually making it any time soon." I understand the value to MMP of doing that, but I have no real desire to play that game. And besides, I'd like to see what Hollow Legions looks like before dropping a big wad of cash of MMP--the lack of Croix de Guerre overlays has kinda put the fear of God in me.