Manila maps....

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone got the dimensions on the full map (all 6) when correctly aligned?

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Somehow we managed to move stacks and check LOS in the center of the entire map when we play tested CGV in a 10x10 spare bedroom.....and the guys who played CGIII at Consimworld several years ago also managed to do it just fine. No.....you cannot just sit in a chair, you will have to stand...sorry.
Perspective - if you have room to set up Red Barricades you can play 90% of the Manila stuff.....all 25 scenarios and three of the five CG's. I only set up all six maps when we play tested CGV.....after that we only used the maps that were actually needed. Sorta ridiculous to set up all six maps when you only need two....but that's just me. Just sayin....it can be done and it is not a real PITA either. BTW - tall counter stacks are not a good idea in the Manila HASL with all the things that go "boom"....tends to cause lots of casualties and tall stacks attract a lot of attention.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have seen the superior engineering solution being applied to cases like this. It was literally a pool table sized felt covered table-top winched to the ceiling when not being used, and then lowered down on top of the supporting folding playing tables when required. It was very much a "where there is a will, there is a way" engineering approach and failure was not an option.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree that using real cardboard remains the 'real' thing.

But...

... look at that complete Manila map and then try to string a LOS in the center with highly stacked units clogging the board. Purest PITA!

In such situations VASL is simply - better. Sure, you'd have to scroll. But for the immediate playing activity, you see exactly what you need to see in the vast majority of situations.

von Marwitz
Even if I was FtF I would still use VASL for LOS...I've been using VASL for LOS ever since it came out, regardless of what scenario/CG I was playing.

Last edited:

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just tried the mini map for several LOS checks...works OK, even for my 62yr old eyes. Probably works good enough for any places you can't reach...at least between reasonable players.
If it works for Tater’s 62yr old eyes and my even older eyes, the mini map will probably work for your LOS checks also.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If it works for Tater’s 62yr old eyes and my even older eyes, the mini map will probably work for your LOS checks also.
👍

If eye-sight would be an issue (or the fear of toppling too many stacks in some instances), one could agree to take LOS-checks based on VASL while shuffling cardboard on the real maps.

von Marwitz

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I don't like VASL because even with a 4K monitor you cannot see the entire map at once. The scrolling, recentering etc. drives me nuts. I use VASL for setup, between session planning etc. I will never use VASL for playing. Just not my thing for a variety of reasons.
I take it you don't have a Jumbotron for a monitor? ;)

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At work I have 2 32" 4K monitors and I still would not play VASL on them :)

I do do setups and planning on them though

You should try it on a 54" Samsung 4k TV via HDMI...Ohhhhh Babbeeeeeeeee

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
Unless you have a another dedicated ASLer living in your same town (and a dedicated game room with massive tables), some of these CGs are just too big. You'd have to leave them set up for months to have a hope of finishing.

Waiting anxiously for the VASL map(s).
I had Tom make VASL maps along with the regular maps for Four Bridges… Saves a-lot of time.

JOS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, sure...when will the VASL maps be ready! Get busy!

:)
Regarding this, Carl N. pointed out to me that although the Manila map does not appear on the VASL site, it does magically appear in the latest VASL (as map SF if I recall correctly).
Hope that helps, Joshua

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Regarding this, Carl N. pointed out to me that although the Manila map does not appear on the VASL site, it does magically appear in the latest VASL (as map SF if I recall correctly).
Hope that helps, Joshua
This is how maps are delivered now. Once a bd file is available, it will just show up in the boardpicker list. Click on it and it will come to you.

Remember, if you are downloading a map from VASL.info you are doing it wrong.