Manila maps....

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unless you have a another dedicated ASLer living in your same town (and a dedicated game room with massive tables), some of these CGs are just too big. You'd have to leave them set up for months to have a hope of finishing.

Waiting anxiously for the VASL map(s).

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We've done Tarawa, RO, RB, almost all of them and I only had to extend my standard table once (for Tarawa I think). I have a "slip on" cover that makes my standard 30" table into 34.5 but I need a new cover to get to 48"...

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Slightly related...when I started wargaming, late '70s early '80s, we only had a few 25mm figures to play with...table was fine. By the '90s, we were playing 25mm Naploeonic on the floor of a flat, with all the furniture removed, with 5,000 + figures . ...These massive ASL CGs , they're great but impractical. .for those that ;
  1. Aren't retired
  2. Have access to a massive space
It's odd that all the earlier posts talk about VASL as the way forward with these Leviathans...

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I just tried the mini map for several LOS checks...works OK, even for my 62yr old eyes. Probably works good enough for any places you can't reach...at least between reasonable players.
That is good to know.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Neil and I are looking at CG2 which is 4 mapsheets, so we need a table that is 4 feet x 6 feet!!!
You could try CG III which is 2ft x 6ft in the first phase and then 4ft x 3ft in the second stage.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do agree that VASL is great for CG play. But I personally prefer ftf play when it comes to scenarios or small CG's. Pushing around cardboard is more fun I think. As for Manila, I do not think I'll ever get to the CG's but am hoping the scenarios are playable on a normal table, my table is about 4ft by 6 feet, so the CG is a no go.
VASL is great to keep the hobby active and going IMHO, but nothing matches playing FTF over an adult beverage. Me and Steve are trying to figure out a reasonable solution to this map issue. For the center-map LOS problem, I think we'll just keep the second set of real size maps from the other player handy so you can do the LOS check on the unused map on the side. The table issue we are working on.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't like VASL because even with a 4K monitor you cannot see the entire map at once. The scrolling, recentering etc. drives me nuts. I use VASL for setup, between session planning etc. I will never use VASL for playing. Just not my thing for a variety of reasons.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use VASL occasionally but I to prefer ftf play, getting out the counters, setting up the maps and like any good German general, pouring over the map deciding my tactics.

I don't like VASL because even with a 4K monitor you cannot see the entire map at once. The scrolling, recentering etc. drives me nuts. I use VASL for setup, between session planning etc. I will never use VASL for playing. Just not my thing for a variety of reasons.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
VASL is a life-saver for me and Dispatches, especially as gas is becoming a real issue and driving an hour+ to see any ASLer is becoming an option I really have to think about. If we can VASL most of the time and see each other monthly or seasonally, that might be the way of the future, like it or not. I always would rather do ftf play but VASL is very OK if not.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see where VASL would be valuable for some, but I honestly will not play at all if VASL is my only option for some future reason. My brother and I are 20-30 minutes apart right now and some times that is a PITA :) (he does come to me more than I go to him) but even though I'm a computer professional VASL just doesn't work for me.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I agree that using real cardboard remains the 'real' thing.

But...

... look at that complete Manila map and then try to string a LOS in the center with highly stacked units clogging the board. Purest PITA!

In such situations VASL is simply - better. Sure, you'd have to scroll. But for the immediate playing activity, you see exactly what you need to see in the vast majority of situations.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I use VASL occasionally but I to prefer ftf play, getting out the counters, setting up the maps and like any good German general, pouring over the map deciding my tactics.
If you wanna do it like any good German general, you should consider taking up reenactment and driving around in half-tracks to lead from the front. ;)

von Marwitz

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any unboxing videos? Or are we all luddites?
Why would I rob anyone of the whiff of cardboard, the rustle of paper
I see where VASL would be valuable for some, but I honestly will not play at all if VASL is my only option for some future reason. My brother and I are 20-30 minutes apart right now and some times that is a PITA :) (he does come to me more than I go to him) but even though I'm a computer professional VASL just doesn't work for me.

It's better than no ASL at all...

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If you wanna do it like any good German general, you should consider taking up reenactment and driving around in half-tracks to lead from the front. ;)

von Marwitz
Used to do just that....when I was younger and thinner....🙄😏😁