mandatory wall Advantage and bocage

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

Bit confused about mandatory wall advantage (B9.323) which states that a unit 'must' claim WA if does not have at least a +1 TEm within the hex and how this is applied to bocage.

I read the bocage rules (B9.5) for same level LOS as effectively a unit can only be seen behind a bocage hexside from a unit in an adjacent hex unless the unit is WA behind the bocage in which case it can be seen from any distance like a wall.

A large proportion of the hexsides in the game we are playing (le Manoir) line roads and the American player is using these to move out of LOS, however, due to B9.323 the units must be WA in each hex as they do not have at least a +1 in hex TEM (a road) and thus can be seen from any distance through the bocage hexside even though they are moving down the road and do not want to be WA.

Is this correct? is doesn't seem right but seems to be what the rules are saying.

Am I reading this incorrectly and in fact the mandatory WA (B9.323) only applies if an enemy unit moves adjacent not whilst the friendly unit moves with no enemy units adjacent.

Sorry to ask but after reading the rules numerous times and looking at various texts from ASL journals and help etc I can't see the woods for the bocage!!!!

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Simon

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi

That's the conculsion I came to but my understanding of bocage is that there is no way you would see something moving down a road behind the bocage hedge when viewing from the same level, unkess the units are not continually moving to the hedge and looking through it, they are not they are moving down a road which is up to 5 or 6 feet below the bottom of the hedge.

Seems very strange

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
What Vinnie us saying is that a concealed unit can typically move behind bocage without losing concealment...read B9.55 carefully:

B9.55 An Infantry/dummy unit capable of claiming bocage TEM vs all enemy (Good-Order/unbroken, as per A12.1) ground units with a LOS to it, is treated as ....out of all enemy LOS for “?” loss purposes during the RPh and loses “?” during its MPh as if using Assault Movement.

So a concealed unit can move normally behind bocage, yet not lose concealment once it "appears" due to Mandatory WA. For this purpose, the movement is considered assault movement.

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ah ok I see - missed B9.55, however, the unit could still be fired upon by a unit not adjacent but as area fire, given you explanation will it get FFNAM or not if the movement is considered assault movement even though it is moving more than 1 location?

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
FFNAM still applies normally. See the Bocage EXample where the British 3-3-8 moves into 54L4. Cheers!

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Excellent - thanks for clearing this up for me as I said sometimes you just need a fresh set of eyes!!

Appreciated