Mandatory to lose DM in bamboo?

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Say a unit ends it's RPh in bamboo and no KEU is ADJ, is it forced to lose DM? They don't get the rally bonus, nor is it a target, but otherwise is treated as woods, which would force it to give up that DM right? Red text by me.

G2.1 Whenever PTO Terrain (G.1) is in effect, all woods become jungle. If not defined as Light, the jungle is considered Dense (2.2). The term "jungle" by itself refers collectively to both types. Jungle is treated as woods except as stated otherwise. Jungle is a two-level obstacle. If jungle is in effect for a DYO scenario but its type is not specified/agreed-upon, make a dr prior to setup. If the dr is ≤ 3 use light jungle; otherwise use dense.

G3.1 Whenever PTO Terrain (G.1) is in effect, all brush becomes bamboo. Bamboo is treated as dense jungle except as stated otherwise.

G3.11 BROKEN UNITS: A broken unit may claim a -1 Rally DRM in bamboo only if in a pillbox. A broken unit is not required to rout to the nearest bamboo hex.

A10.62 DESPERATION MORALE (DM): DM is a condition which afflicts any unit during the Player Turn it breaks (even if it breaks voluntarily) or any already broken unit which is subsequently attacked by CC/WP, or enough FP (taking the possibility of Cowering into account) to possibly inflict at least a NMC result on the target. An effective Sniper attack causes DM to all broken enemy units in the same Location as the unit attacked—not just the attacked unit. To be considered fired upon by ordnance, a hit must have been achieved against the unit regardless of its FP effect, or a non-Smoke FFE must have been resolved in the hex. A broken unit is also automatically under DM whenever a Known armed enemy unit is ADJACENT to it (even if it does not end the phase ADJACENT to it) or when it starts a RtPh in a Blaze Location (B25.4) or in Open Ground in the LOS and Normal Range (10.532) of a Known enemy unit. Place a DM marker on any unit under DM and remove it at the end of every RPh [EXC: A unit may opt to retain its DM status provided it is not in a woods/building/pillbox/trench so as to guarantee its ability to rout again in the next RtPh. If overstacked in a woods/building, it may also opt to retain its DM status.]. DM has no effect on any unit taking a MC, but does require a unit attempting to rally to add a +4 DRM (plus any leadership, terrain, and/or Self-Rally modification).

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Seems to me that G3.1 treats Bamboo as DJ. Therefore "woods".
The reason why the "not required to rout" was included is to alleviate the need to use all of your MF to enter in the Rout phase.
SWAMP disallows LC probably for a similar reason.
i.e. you don't get 'STUCK" routing to a difficult to enter terrain feature. MOST likely there will be a jungle location within 4MF. i.e. SAME distance to the adjacent Bamboo location.

Requirement to rout to the location has no bearing on whether you can choose to lose DM.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Say a unit ends it's RPh in bamboo and no KEU is ADJ, is it forced to lose DM? They don't get the rally bonus, nor is it a target, but otherwise is treated as woods, which would force it to give up that DM right? Red text by me.

G2.1 Whenever PTO Terrain (G.1) is in effect, all woods become jungle. If not defined as Light, the jungle is considered Dense (2.2). The term "jungle" by itself refers collectively to both types. Jungle is treated as woods except as stated otherwise. Jungle is a two-level obstacle. If jungle is in effect for a DYO scenario but its type is not specified/agreed-upon, make a dr prior to setup. If the dr is ≤ 3 use light jungle; otherwise use dense.

G3.1 Whenever PTO Terrain (G.1) is in effect, all brush becomes bamboo. Bamboo is treated as dense jungle except as stated otherwise.

G3.11 BROKEN UNITS: A broken unit may claim a -1 Rally DRM in bamboo only if in a pillbox. A broken unit is not required to rout to the nearest bamboo hex.

A10.62 DESPERATION MORALE (DM): DM is a condition which afflicts any unit during the Player Turn it breaks (even if it breaks voluntarily) or any already broken unit which is subsequently attacked by CC/WP, or enough FP (taking the possibility of Cowering into account) to possibly inflict at least a NMC result on the target. An effective Sniper attack causes DM to all broken enemy units in the same Location as the unit attacked—not just the attacked unit. To be considered fired upon by ordnance, a hit must have been achieved against the unit regardless of its FP effect, or a non-Smoke FFE must have been resolved in the hex. A broken unit is also automatically under DM whenever a Known armed enemy unit is ADJACENT to it (even if it does not end the phase ADJACENT to it) or when it starts a RtPh in a Blaze Location (B25.4) or in Open Ground in the LOS and Normal Range (10.532) of a Known enemy unit. Place a DM marker on any unit under DM and remove it at the end of every RPh [EXC: A unit may opt to retain its DM status provided it is not in a woods/building/pillbox/trench so as to guarantee its ability to rout again in the next RtPh. If overstacked in a woods/building, it may also opt to retain its DM status.]. DM has no effect on any unit taking a MC, but does require a unit attempting to rally to add a +4 DRM (plus any leadership, terrain, and/or Self-Rally modification).
I'd say yes, it must lose DM if no KEU is ADJACENT.

Bamboo is treated as (Dense) Jungle. (G3.1)
Jungle is treated as Woods. (G2.1)
A unit may not opt to retain its DM status if it is in Woods. (A10.62 EXC)

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
So, I agree the rules say the unit should remove DM when in Bamboo but I honestly think this was an oversight. IMO, I think the key to this lays in A10.62: [EXC: A unit may opt to retain its DM status provided it is not in a woods/building/pillbox/trench so as to guarantee its ability to rout again in the next RtPh. ... All of the terrain mentioned in the exception receives a -1 DRM for rally purposes (A10.61) while a unit in Bamboo does not (G3.11). A clarification would probably side with DM removal but I could also see a clarification coming down the other way. I always thought the EXC in A10.62 would be clearer if it said: [EXC: A unit may opt to retain its DM status provided it is not in a woods/building/pillbox/trench a Rally Terrain Bonus Location (A10.61) ...

While we're at it, I also think A10.51 Direction should be re-written to state Assuming it can abide by the previous requirements, a routing unit must move to the nearest (in MF calculated at the start of its RtPh) building or woods Rally Terrain Bonus Location (A10.61) hex. It makes no sense to me that a Trench Location is Bonus Rally terrain but a unit cannot chose it as a rout destination. JMO. YMMV. -- jim