Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi
I am Martin

I am designing an Malvinas/Falklands 2012 scenario. :laugh:

Here is a little brief of it.

The whole scn I am testing is something like this...
(Hypotetical) :crosseye:
1) UK breaks the "status quo" and starts to explore and exploit new Oil sources recently found. (Sea Guardian Exploration Plattaform & Sea Lion 1 and 2 sources.)
2) AR claims that UK has no rights in AR´s natural resources.
3) The tension increases, AR mantains a couple of OPV´s in order to prevent illegal fishing in EEZ. (lots of fishing dhows) as usual... :mad:
4) PNA Derbes OPV starts to procecute some contacts inner 200 nm as usual again... :mad:
5) Contacts do not answer to OPV requests to stop and start heading towards HMS Clyde patrol zone.
6) According to international sea laws Derbes continues prosecution of the contacts until Clyle cross her pass in order to protect FKL´s based fishing boats.
7) Clyde fires in an attempt to stop Derbes´ path but Derbes continues.
8) Clyde recieves order to stop Derbes firing to ther engines. Derbes answers.
9) Both impacted, Clyde calls for help and HMS York and HMS Chatham answer. Similar situation with AR, Derbes calls ARA Drummond for help.
7) UK finds unnaceptable the situation and delivers a 2 Linxes to complete the job both with Derbes and Drummond.
8) Derbes is destroyed and Drummond heavly damaged try to return to mainland.
9) All forces in both sides increase their alerts and prepare for a confrontation.
10) AR strikes first (Mnt. Kent, Mnt. Alice,Byron Hights radar facilities, Mnt. Pleasant base, Cristal Command and also Uk´s surface vessels around. (HMS Chatham, HMS York, Hms Portland, Hms Cornwall, Hms Clyde and HMS Scott,etc.
11) Argentine TF sails towards FKL with the intention of retake and SUBS are delivered to some patroll zones.
12) With this major move UK is free to strike Argentine bases in mainland and vital infrastructure. (TLAM)
13) AR retakes FKL and UK sends a major TF to re-retake FKL and also take advantage to land in order to occupy AR side of Tierra del Fuego landing near Rio Grande and push southwards to overwhelm Ushuaia and killing 2 ducks in one shot. :laugh:
11) AR side must prevent these to happen at all cost.

This is a very short brief...

Cheers
Martin

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Except for the fact that there are 2x "#11", it sounds like a good plot.

Any chance of Argentina having any allies in this endeavour?

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
How will the Argentine Air Force deal with even a single squadron of Typhoon fighters? Seems as though their BVR missiles will slaughter the FAA before they ever get in range of their AIM-9 Sidewinders.

martinservioli

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi Herman!

In fact allies from both sides are already added. They gives INTEL and support to each side.
How will the Argentine Air Force deal with even a single "iincreased!!!" squadron of Typhoon fighters?
Perhaps the answer relies in how you use what you have even on inferior conditions.
Besides... who said that they could even take off!!! :laugh:
There is even a UK CAP orbiting the zone.

Keep asking me...

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Herman!

In fact allies from both sides are already added. They gives INTEL and support to each side.
How will the Argentine Air Force deal with even a single "iincreased!!!" squadron of Typhoon fighters?
Perhaps the answer relies in how you use what you have even on inferior conditions.
Besides... who said that they could even take off!!! :laugh:
There is even a UK CAP orbiting the zone.

Keep asking me...
No need to spoil any surprises you may have planned.

I'm just glad you decided to write it with the PlayersDB. That way, I know that all the weapons will at least fire.

When I use other databases, my planes almost always arrive over the target only to discover yet another database/scenario bug that prevents them from releasing their ordnance. :(

Last edited:

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Harpoon 3 scenarios for the PlayersDB

Martin sent his scenario to me for a review and asked me to post it here on his behalf for any other comments.

There aren't any orders, so it is hard to know what to do. I'll just post the e-mail he sent me with it.

The primary goal is to disable mount pleasant and stanley and the radars installations.

Then you have to send the AR´s TF in order to land and disable any RM positions around all of these must be accomplish avoiding SUBS ASW patrol zones and UK TF around the island.
Only you proceed globaly after UK fires first.

cheers
M

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Harpoon 3 scenarios for the PlayersDB

I was uncertain how to proceed with a review for this scenario. I did not know if I was supposed to just examine it under the ScenEditor or actually play it. I decided to try and play the scenario to the best of my abilities, given the limitations since there are so few new scenarios to try.

Some general observations:

Base SNL - has no ammo dump
- you may wish to detech the SAMs and AAA from the SNL and other base groups

- ammo dumps are unloaded. Is this intentional? Even if you decide not to load the dumps with many PGMs or advanced weapons, simple and common things like AAMs and iron bombs should probably be available.

- there are runways sitting by themselves outside Rivadavia, GAL, RGN and SJL and they are labelled 'BAT 1'. Is there a purpose for them?

- the initials you use for the various airbases can be confusing for someone not well versed in the geography of Argentina. Is there a reason why you use initials instead of a full name for the bases?

- you have placed a SAC-D [RORSat] under player control. this looks a little odd since he can now fly it like an aircraft, land, re-load, and re-launch. Tools like this are usually best left to sides controlled by the AI

- the Platoon of SAS, Marines, and SAM facilities appear when I start the AR side. I think you might want to turn off their Auto-detection of this unit with the Home hotkey

I played the game:

I sent the RORSat on a single path like a Satellite might use and then landed it so that I could not exploit its abilities. I could have used it like an ordinary aircraft, but that would seem like cheating. The single pass revealed all the ships and assets around Falklands.

I order up a number of Learjets and Bandeirante recon planes. The orders are unclear, but I thought that I was not allowed to fire unless first fired upon. So, I guessed that I would have to sacrifice something to get the UK to start the war. Sure enough, a Typhoon came screaming in on afterburner and killed one of the Learjets and Bandeirante. So, I launched the planes armed with Dardos II to see if I could shut down the UK bases.

POM3 had a Nimrod fly over it and opened fire with her puny cannon. The Nimrod responded by firing a pair of SSMs. Amazingly, both missed.

I launched the planes armed with Dardos II and sent them on long circuitous routes to the far side of the Falklands before approaching from the South and NorthEast directions. It was real pucker factor since I had no idea when/if the Typhoons would materialize and blast them out of the air.

The southern flights were able to release on the Port Stanley and wipe out the hangar there. A second flight released on Mount Pleasant and took out 3 of the hangars/revetments. The final flight from the NE completed the destruction as well as the radar over Port Stanley.

As they were returning home, Victory was granted. Evidently, I only needed to kill 1 of anything. I stopped playing at this point. I hope that I played it according to plan.

You really need some orders or description of the scenario to help a player know what to do. Maybe the ViCond is a bit too easy to accomplish.

The bases and layouts seem pretty detailed and thorough. However, Port Stanley seems a bit simplified with only a single hangar and runway. It doesn't even have any ammo dump for re-loads. (Neither does Mt. Pleasant.)

I hope that these comments help and do not hurt your process.

martinservioli

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi Herman
thanks a lot for the advices!!

A couple of things in order to do the corrections well:

1) Base SNL - has no ammo dump

I don´t understand what you mean... :paperbag:

2)- ammo dumps are unloaded. Is this intentional? Even if you decide not to load the dumps with many PGMs or advanced weapons, simple and common things like AAMs and iron bombs should probably be available.

It is not intentional. In fact I didn´t know that you can fill them.
In fact, it appeared to me so strange that the payloads on the planes were useful ones and for the next mission I wanted to launch the payload was minimal. :laugh:
can u tell me how I fill them?

3) there are runways sitting by themselves outside Rivadavia, GAL, RGN and SJL and they are labelled 'BAT 1'. Is there a purpose for them?

Yes, I just wanted to represent some route pavement extention that exists near those bases in order to operate planes even if you main base was destroyed. BAT means in english Alternative Air Base.

4)- the initials you use for the various airbases can be confusing for someone not well versed in the geography of Argentina. Is there a reason why you use initials instead of a full name for the bases?

I understand I will change them. GAL, RIV etc are the navigational acronyms for such bases :laugh:

5) - you have placed a SAC-D [RORSat] under player control. this looks a little odd since he can now fly it like an aircraft, land, re-load, and re-launch. Tools like this are usually best left to sides controlled by the AI

Good question! The fact is that I don´t know how to set up a SAT orbit that sweeps the south atlantic and use the SAR radar instrument every 12hs. I suppose that it wouldn´t be hard to archive.:paperbag:

6)- the Platoon of SAS, Marines, and SAM facilities appear when I start the AR side. I think you might want to turn off their Auto-detection of this unit with the Home hotkey

I really don´t understand what you meant... surely my poor english. What is auto detection in this context???

7) I sent the RORSat on a single path like a Satellite might use and then landed it so that I could not exploit its abilities. I could have used it like an ordinary aircraft, but that would seem like cheating. The single pass revealed all the ships and assets around Falklands.

Idem #5... from my point of view it is not cheating... as long I can set up the orbit correctly... SAC D has an instrument called Acuarius that can be used for radar detection on land and sea.
In fact is a large SAR radar antenna in the SAT suited for cientific missions but has the posibility for use as a military instrument.
Is there any posibility that land targets were not pre targeted??? I guess it is not modeled in H3ANW.

8) I order up a number of Learjets and Bandeirante recon planes. The orders are unclear, but I thought that I was not allowed to fire unless first fired upon. So, I guessed that I would have to sacrifice something to get the UK to start the war. Sure enough, a Typhoon came screaming in on afterburner and killed one of the Learjets and Bandeirante. So, I launched the planes armed with Dardos II to see if I could shut down the UK bases.

Well, I have to put Bandeirantes in the AR ORBAT in order to simulate ARA Beach B200M equipped with RDR1500 surface search radar. :laugh:

9)I launched the planes armed with Dardos II and sent them on long circuitous routes to the far side of the Falklands before approaching from the South and NorthEast directions. It was real pucker factor since I had no idea when/if the Typhoons would materialize and blast them out of the air.

That´s the whole idea!!!! :laugh: . If you did not use KC130 to enter for those radials and had succeded, one thing is certain... ranges are wrong...

10) As they were returning home, Victory was granted. Evidently, I only needed to kill 1 of anything. I stopped playing at this point. I hope that I played it according to plan.

You really need some orders or description of the scenario to help a player know what to do. Maybe the ViCond is a bit too easy to accomplish.

That´s exactly my biggest trouble... I don´t know how to use de VICond correctly :OHNO:
And I will fix the limitations in UK bases as well.

Not to mention that I have to increase the level of hardness and difficulty.
You stopped there but I followed and found,amongst other things, that I just passed the entire AR TF´s over an HMS Astute patrol area and she did not persuited me and kept with its 5 knots patrol as nothing... :angry:

I hope you can help me to fix that kind of things...

Cheers
Martin :laugh:

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
1) Base SNL - has no ammo dump

I don´t understand what you mean... :paperbag:
YOu understand the difference between groups and individual facilities. I am suggesting that you make the Base Groups just contain the facilities like buildings, runways, ammo dumps, etc. The base defences may be better kept as separate facilities. i.e. individual SAM, radar, AAA sites. Right now, all those units are in the same group. You can detach them by selecting the individual unit and then hitting the D-hotkey [detach].

2)- ammo dumps are unloaded. Is this intentional? Even if you decide not to load the dumps with many PGMs or advanced weapons, simple and common things like AAMs and iron bombs should probably be available.

It is not intentional. In fact I didn´t know that you can fill them.
In fact, it appeared to me so strange that the payloads on the planes were useful ones and for the next mission I wanted to launch the payload was minimal. :laugh:
can u tell me how I fill them?
To fill a unit's ammo magazine/dump, select the individual unit and then hit the F5 hotkey. You will see a window resembling the Weapons Allocation display. You add weapons in the lower right hand corner window.

5) - you have placed a SAC-D [RORSat] under player control. this looks a little odd since he can now fly it like an aircraft, land, re-load, and re-launch. Tools like this are usually best left to sides controlled by the AI

Good question! The fact is that I don´t know how to set up a SAT orbit that sweeps the south atlantic and use the SAR radar instrument every 12hs. I suppose that it wouldn´t be hard to archive.:paperbag:
Yes, the satellites do not work as they used to in H3.6 One possible solution for you to try is to create a new side. You might call it ARG, as well. Make this side non-playable and then make it friendly to the ARG side. That way, it will detect things and report them to the player. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to get "Satellites" to repeat their orbits. I would just:

a) Insert a base for the satellite to land
b) Create a delayed single Ferry mission for the satellite
c) turn on the satellite radar
d) plot a course for the satellite to pass over the area you want searched
e) once the satellite is finished its mission, it iwill land and then never be re-launched

You will not get repeated passes, but one orbit should be sufficient, IMO.

6)- the Platoon of SAS, Marines, and SAM facilities appear when I start the AR side. I think you might want to turn off their Auto-detection of this unit with the Home hotkey

I really don´t understand what you meant... surely my poor english. What is auto detection in this context???
The location of every facility is automatically displayed to the player as soon as the game starts. To turn OFF the auto-detection of a facility, select the unit and hit the "Home"-hotkey. The AUTO part of the icon should disappear.

9)I launched the planes armed with Dardos II and sent them on long circuitous routes to the far side of the Falklands before approaching from the South and NorthEast directions. It was real pucker factor since I had no idea when/if the Typhoons would materialize and blast them out of the air.

That´s the whole idea!!!! :laugh: . If you did not use KC130 to enter for those radials and had succeded, one thing is certain... ranges are wrong...
The planes were at the limit of their fuel. I had the Hercules going out to meet them in order to give them fuel. If the Hercules had been shot down, those planes would have crashed from fuel starvation. Luckily, I was granted victory before I had to bother with re-fueling.

10) As they were returning home, Victory was granted. Evidently, I only needed to kill 1 of anything. I stopped playing at this point. I hope that I played it according to plan.

That´s exactly my biggest trouble... I don´t know how to use de VICond correctly :OHNO:
How easy or difficult you want your scenario is up to you. I was just surprised that you only required one plane/ship/sub/facility destruction for victory. I was expecting the minimum to destroy a few hangar/revetment/radar to succeed.

You stopped there but I followed and found,amongst other things, that I just passed the entire AR TF´s over an HMS Astute patrol area and she did not persuited me and kept with its 5 knots patrol as nothing... :angry:
I think I know what you talk about. I think that if you put a sub on ASW area patrol mission in ANW, it will not attack ships. This is terrible behaviour. I have seen it for myself. The only choice you have is to put the sub on ASuW mission. Unfortunately, this tends to make the sub run at Shallow depth and thus easier to detect. That's ANW for you. :angry:

martinservioli

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi! thanks again.

What could happend if instead I select my TF and create a ship strike mission and assign a sub for that task setting the sub that keeps INTER and say.. 14knots? :nuts::nuts::nuts:
Cheers,
Martin

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The easiest and best way for you to learn how the game and ScenEditor works is always to try things out. If you create a Ship Strike mission, your sub will rise to periscope depth, turn on its radar, and just sit there until a target is detected. I don't that will work very well for you. I believe that the only way to get the sub to act aggressively is to have it on ASuW mission and accept the consequences.

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I should have mentioned this earlier. It seems as though your game clock has been started. The start time is 0000h. However, when you start the scenario, it shows 00:27:30. So, you must have let the clock run in your ScenEditor. Is this the case?

If so, I wanted to warn you against this practice. The ScenEditor manual says that it is possible to start up the game in ScenEditor, but scenarios that use this process tend to end up with problems.