Makarov's Sortie

anav

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had a rousing "Makarov's Sortie" today. It was an MP game with one other player. The battle lasted about 90 minutes and we saved it. We are working on what is necessary to continue the saved game as an MP game. Something we didn't succeed at the first time we tried. Hopefully a way can be found as this battle is worth continuing.

I was the host and the Russian by de-fault. If you've followed the commentary on our MP efforts you'll know that the Host always defaults to the Russian player and must stay that way. He cannot change his assignment. This of course meant the other player was the Japanese.

At start I reversed the course of Makarov's division immediately to fall back on the additional Russian forces just leaving Port Arthur. After closing with them for awhile I turned Makarov's force to 270 degrees and made ready to engage the enemy. The forces coming out of harbor changed course to about 200 and went to flank speed.

Meanwhile the Japanese sent their light ships to the rear and pointed Makarov's force in order to close the range. They turned Northwest to engage when Makarov's force turned West. Ranging shots started at about 11000 meters. Now both forces were heading roughly West or Northwest. Taking occasional shots as the range decreased.

When to two parts of the Russian force were in close proximity to each other, I separated the 3 protected cruisers into their own division, then combined the heavy ships (4 BB's and 1 AC) into a single division. I then turned the whole Russian fleet to the Southwest. The Japanese meanwhile had steamed to a bearing generally S and even SW of my force and did not repsond to my turn. So I continued around to the East to fall (hopefully) on his lighter forces and leave his heavies out of position. My opponent did not let me get away with this however and came around to the E and eventually ENE to match my maneuver. Battle was joined in earnest now with the Russian force on Cse East and the Japanese South of the Russians on cse ENE. We had agreed before hand to try whenever possible to shoot at each ships opposite number and at this point we both applied that idea. My protected cruiser division stayed in the fight astern of my heavy division but kept the range to the enemy longer.

The Russian DD's had been at 26knots all this time and had reached a point will out in front and to the SSW of the rest of my force. I Sent these ships South and behind the Japanese force after it had made the turn East. They had the good fortune to fall on the Japanese DD force and severly maul it. My opponent had to send his Protected Cruisers back to change the balance in his favor once again and make my DD's run away. The score here was 3 Japanese DD's sunk 1 damaged, to 1 Russian DD sunk and 3 damaged though the Russians had 2 cases of a jammed rudder here. First I've seen that.

The main Battle headed East with increasing fury and damage spread all around both sides as the opposing lines slowly decreased the range. As I am significantly outgunned here I reversed course about the time my opponent was coming up on that little off shore island. I hoped that this would be an obstacle for him, but I doubt it. I also sent my PC's South to aid my DD's who by this time were badly scattered and easy to pick off.

At this point we stopped and saved the battle. All the Russian ships and most of the Japanese had light damage. With a couple of serious fires burning on the Russian ships. In the short time I've been playing this game I've learned to fear fire.

So my friends, 2 player MP battles can be done without trouble if your careful about the assignment glitch. I think more the 2 players can participate as long as those other then fleet commanders are content with only one division. I'll let you know if I can figure out a way to continue this game.

Also I've finally found a group of settings that allow me to see all the glorious high resolution ship and gunnery effects in this game, yet still keep a decent frame rate. The pieces flying of, the impact shock wave, the shells flying through the air, the full smoke and wake effects, the shadows of the ships on the water. Wonderful!! and mesmorizing. Thank you SES very much!:)

Regards Anav

rgreat

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Long range can be a good decision for Russian navy, as Japanese tend to use up ammo faster.

But it must be a really long range, or you lose all ships before enemy will be out of ammo. ;)

Enforcer

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Long range can be a good decision for Russian navy, as Japanese tend to use up ammo faster.

But it must be a really long range, or you lose all ships before enemy will be out of ammo. ;)
yeah exactly. But the AI isn't that stupid... after a while they will stop shooting from far distances...