"Mad Generals" Scenario

India 51B

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi all, my copy of TacOps arrived today :D now I don't have to play the demo anymore :) However, I digress, my question is, which Battle folder do you unzip the Mad Generals scenario to, is it the American or the Canadian folder? I have read various AAR's of this scenario and am keen to try it for myself. Thanks in advance :)

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mad General is technically a saved game file rather than a compiled scenario file so it can go anywhere you like, including inside of a folder uniquely created and named by yourself.

Compiled scenario files end in ".sce" and should be kept in one of the following locations. The reason being that the program can automatically search in all of these folders when it needs information that is stored in the compiled scenario file.

TacOps folder (same level as the game engine exe file).
US Folder
CA Folder

India 51B

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thankyou :)

Edit: Well I unzipped it to the Game folder, but I can't find it anywhere in the game when I start it up. I read the AAR's of this scenario and would like to give it a go :)

Last edited:

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just surfed over to the TacOps Headquarters site and downloaded the Mad General package.

It appears that this was done for TacOps v2 or v3, which means it won't work with TacOps4. On top of that, the saved game file seems to be for Mac only. Prior to v4, saved game files were not cross platform.

Although this site is on a Battlefront server, it is run by a TacOps fan. I'll drop him a note and ask him (again) to get rid of the obsolete stuff.

Sorry.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
India 51B said:
Ok, thanks for taking the time to check it out :)
No problem. So how are you doing with the scenarios that came with the game?

By the way, scenarios that start with "Team" or "Combat Team" have less than a battalion in the Blue Force. Scenarios that start with "Task Force" or "Battle Group" have a battalion or more in the Blue Force.

India 51B

Reaction score
Country
ll
I am thoroughly enjoying the scenarios, I just love the way that arty/mortar fire is represented in this game. Being an ex-Mortar Fire Controller in the British Army I hated the way this inderct fire was shown in other games, all you had to do was click on the target and it would be hit. Having to fire adjusting rounds, and wait till they are on target, is frustratingly accurate, especially when you need rounds on the ground pretty damn fast :)

That's just one of the aspects of the game I like, there are many others, but the only thing I wish for in the game, is for the ability for those artistic guys out there to design one player scenario's for this game. Being a Combat Mission player and also other games, for some time now, I have been amazed at the number of really good scenario's being produced on a regular basis. (Unfortunately I am not one of these talented individuals). Maybe this will happen here soon!

Anyway Major, thanks for a great game and good luck for any future developments :)

India 51B

Reaction score
Country
ll
I spent most of yesterday afternoon playing the DeGoey Scenario. Lots of fun but I think I am going to get my ass handed to me here :rolleyes: After a hard fought battle, I managed to take the objective, now I have to hold onto it, which seeing the amount of stuff OPFOR has mobilised against me is proving to be very tough.

I hate those Spandrels, they seem to take out everything with one shot :) Anyway, so far I've managed to hold the objective for 58 minutes, just another 62 to go, lol. Fat chance I have of doing that, but I'll keep on till the bitter end :D

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I've heard two different stories on the Mad Generals scenario. I heard it was compatible with TacOps4, then I heard it wasn't. is this being updated?

Which also brings up another question: Is there a way to convert scenarios made with older versions of the game, or does the scenario author have to rebuild them from scratch?

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know much more about the Mad General "scenario". My impression is that it was mostly a textual script on how to set up a particular tactical situation for a human vs human game (using the bulit in editing features in TacOps). I may be off the mark but I thought it was a kind of beer and pretzels "hounds vs fox" activity. It was a completely fan developed thing that was popular for a while with a number of the old hands two or three years ago. My participation was limited to getting some server space from Battlefront for the enthusiasts and keeping the TacOps mailing list going as a comm channel.

As I mentioned before, creating scenarios has never really taken off in the TacOps community - most likely due to my failure to provide a scenario tool that would allow solitaire play. The small amount of editing activity that has taken place has been almost entirely oriented at human vs human play - initially via PBEM and later by 2 player or multiplayer teams networking. There are probably a good number of training scenarios (saved game files based on the Army custom scenario template) floating around the Army but the ones that I have seen were too one sided to appeal to hobbyists.

So there wasn't much that needed to be converted during the move from TacOps2 to TacOps3 and not much more for TacOps3 to TacOps4. I did briefly provide a 3 to 4 conversion utility to the Armor School because several instructors there had invested a lot of time in creating classroom exercises and I sympathized with their not wanting to repeat all that work on top of their regular duties.

Last edited: