Machine Gun ROF

wiretwister63

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is the limit on ROF? The rule seemed ambiguous to me. It says that when the colored die of the IFT roll is less than the ROF number you can continue to use the MG's FP.

Example: a ROF 3 MG. Am I allowed only three shots regardless of the continued rolling of 1's and 2's on the colored die?

And for LMG with ROF 1 if I roll a 1 can I fire it more than one shot?

DJ

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
No. If your coloured die is equal to or less than your RoF number you may continue to fire that (those) weapons until you exceed the RoF number or you malfunction the weapon or you run out of live targets. :ar15:

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In other words, you could fire 50 times in a row if you rolled < or= to the RoF 50 times.

Just don't do it against me. :p

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This may not be in the ASLSK(which I think you're using)but also remember that if it's D1F, you may only shoot as many times at a moving target as the # of MFs that target spends. One MF in a hex means one shot at that target in that hex; you may continue using that sw--if it keeps rate--later after more MFs are spent. There's also the bit about firelanes and sw covered arc affecting RoF, but if you're using the SK don't worry for now.

Alan

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
"you could fire 50 times in a row if you rolled < or= to the RoF 50 times."

Yes, but don't worry about 50 shots. It's been my experience that my HMGs come with bolt actions (1 shot) or a sniper bags the crew after 3 or 4 shots (usually taking the 9-2 with it). :dead:

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
my experience is that your MG, on a great day, will keep rate enough times to break everything in sight, and then. Just then, the moment you get greedy and go for the double break CR. It malf's

b e n

wiretwister63

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks guys,

I have played ASLSK and it metions ROF but has no procedure for it.

I have been using the ROF rule from the asl rule book. A fire lane is awsome on moving unit.

on turn two of Fighting withdrawal senario. I am reading as I play to get a grasp on the rules so it is a slow but fun go. I am impressed with the detail of ASL so far. I do hope the new rule book will be worded clearer on some more difficult things.

DJ

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
page 3 ASLSK, first paragraph, first column

"If the colored die roll in a fire attack DR.... that SW may fire again...."

There are other rules sprinkled about, too. The SW portions of the ASLSK seem the least organized.