M3(hmg)

asler

Reaction score
The US M3(HMG) Halftrack carries a 4fp .50cal & 2 6fp HMG's along with an inherent crew and a passenger (given by vehicle notes) 666 squad (or two half-squads).

The vehicle notes do not list the MG's as being removable by the passenger.

I thought these MG's were removable by the passenger but I don't see that in the rules. Only if the crew abandons the vehicle could they take 1 of the MG's or if the vehicle was scrounged. Also, if removed, is the .50 cal taken as a .50 cal or (as the rules imply) simply a 4fp mmg? It is listed as a .50 in the vehicle notes, but the rules only allow an equal or lesser mg to be used in it's place.

Is there errata for this vehicle that I'm missing?

Chris

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
McFinn said:
Here is a thread on this very subject.

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25718&page=1&pp=15

I think it will have your answer.
I don't think that thread answers the question at all.

It is my understanding that this halftrack was used by amored infantry formations to transport their HMG (there is a MMG version as well). That those HMG's (not the AA .50cal) were specifically intended to be removed by the passengers once the HT reached the front line. That is how I have always played it.

Besides, as noted in the thread, the crew can remove them all and transfer (gamey!!!). That tells me that the passengers should be allowed to remove the regular HMG's (not the AA .50 cal).

Anyway, you and your opponent should talk it over.

asler

Reaction score
Tater said:
I don't think that thread answers the question at all.

It is my understanding that this halftrack was used by amored infantry formations to transport their HMG (there is a MMG version as well). That those HMG's (not the AA .50cal) were specifically intended to be removed by the passengers once the HT reached the front line. That is how I have always played it.

Besides, as noted in the thread, the crew can remove them all and transfer (gamey!!!). That tells me that the passengers should be allowed to remove the regular HMG's (not the AA .50 cal).

Anyway, you and your opponent should talk it over.
Thanks Keith and Tate,

I found what I was looking for. In the depths of MMP's web page there is an errata page for vehicle notes. The M3(mmg/hmg) is listed there (vehicle note 30). A brief synopsis is that the HT also contains a 666 (or 2 half squads; owners choice). They can unload the 2 mmg's/hmg's as dismantled as part of their dismounting. Only the inherent crew can unload the .50 (which is unloaded as a .50)which is also unloaded as dm. BTW, the two mmg/hmg's have limited CA's and can't be fired by the inherent crew. Must have a passenger to fire it. Interesting vehicle.

Chris