LV Hindrance auto-reminder?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm about to play U5 Point d'Appui, where a +1 LV Hindrance is in effect for non-CC attacks, regardless of range.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm wondering how that might be rolled into VASL, cuz I sure hate forgetting that stupid DRM. Like, would you want to just add a third die, maybe grey to indicate the LV-ness, to the DR?

Or perhaps that third die could be bumped up or down depending on the range, if the level of LV hindrance were affected by range, as it often is? Course, that would require you to actually string the LOS, even when you don't need to.

Just wondering what kind of good auto-reminder of the LV would look like.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm about to play U5 Point d'Appui, where a +1 LV Hindrance is in effect for non-CC attacks, regardless of range.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm wondering how that might be rolled into VASL, cuz I sure hate forgetting that stupid DRM. Like, would you want to just add a third die, maybe grey to indicate the LV-ness, to the DR?

View attachment 17344

Or perhaps that third die could be bumped up or down depending on the range, if the level of LV hindrance were affected by range, as it often is? Course, that would require you to actually string the LOS, even when you don't need to.

There is an extension in existance already, that rolls 3 dice. Or is it even inherent to VASL? These 3dr are, however, not keyed to particular sorts of DR (Rally, SA, IFT, TH, etc.).

von Marwitz

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

View attachment 17344

No ... I just turn the rain/mist on (throws a fuzzy layer on) to remind myself of that.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

View attachment 17344

Great thinking outside the bot!

A third (grey) die could be coded to work as a generic LV die, or a (pale-yellow) Sun-Blindness die, both of which would be fairly straightforward because their values remain constant. Changing the value based on range sounds like a lot of work. But I'd use the feature if it were available.

Perhaps a little less effort would be needed to come up with a (tan) dust die that could be toggled to auto FRD or FRU as required.

MTL

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The next version of VASL has added a third die for dust rolls keyed to IFT, TH and MC rolls (for routing), and gives you the dust-adjusted total for the roll if you set the dust level using the new dust shader button, so it wouldn't be too difficult to add / rework this as a similar environmental enhancement.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The next version of VASL has added a third die for dust rolls keyed to IFT, TH and MC rolls (for routing), and gives you the dust-adjusted total for the roll if you set the dust level using the new dust shader button, so it wouldn't be too difficult to add / rework this as a similar environmental enhancement.
Happy to test any prototypes!

buser333

Reaction score

View attachment 17344

I think that is a fantastic idea.

MTL

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Gents, if you want to try the 1st iteration of LV aware VASL, here's the link:

1. This is based off the latest 6.2 VASL beta - you need version 3.5 of VASSAL to use it.
  2. To use, click the 'LV' button to toggle +1 LV:

You will see the following in the chatter:

3. WHen you click in 'IFT' or 'TH', the chatter output will remind you of the LV, and give you the adjusted roll total:

Also works for the Night button:

There is also support for dust in 6.2 already using the dust button:

Which cycles through dust levels, rolls a dust die for you on IFT/TH/MC (for interdictions) and gives you the +/- adjusted totals, FRD for light and FRU for moderate:

and they all work in conjunction with each other:
Though I doubt you'd get LV & dust at the same time.

Attachments

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Gents, if you want to try the 1st iteration of LV aware VASL, here's the link:

1. This is based off the latest 6.2 VASL beta - you need version 3.5 of VASSAL to use it.
  2. To use, click the 'LV' button to toggle +1 LV:
View attachment 17457

View attachment 17458

3. WHen you click in 'IFT' or 'TH', the chatter output will remind you of the LV, and give you the adjusted roll total:
View attachment 17459

Also works for the Night button:

View attachment 17460

There is also support for dust in 6.2 already using the dust button:
View attachment 17462

Which cycles through dust levels, rolls a dust die for you on IFT/TH/MC (for interdictions) and gives you the +/- adjusted totals, FRD for light and FRU for moderate:
View attachment 17464

and they all work in conjunction with each other:
View attachment 17465
Though I doubt you'd get LV & dust at the same time.
Nice function!

Except that the color of the third die is unbearable... 🤮

Looking at the Preferences, I have not found any place to adjust the color for the 3rd die.
My suggestion is to extend the options in the Preferences to allow it.

von Marwitz

MTL

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Nice function!

Except that the color of the third die is unbearable... 🤮

Looking at the Preferences, I have not found any place to adjust the color for the 3rd die.
My suggestion is to extend the options in the Preferences to allow it.

View attachment 17470

von Marwitz
No, it's not in the config - but added to the list!

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
View attachment 17457

View attachment 17458

View attachment 17459
Is it possible to make the "+1 LV" bit a toggle? So I can hit the RAIN button and NOT have the "+1 LV" message? 'Cause Rain/ Mist LV varies by distance and I want a choice to NOT have the "+1 LV" message when I hit the RAIN button and put a haze over the board as a reminder.

Reactions: MTL

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Morris, I just double-checked the VASL6.6.2-beta3.vmod and it looks like only V1 of your changes made it. The third die does not show up when Night alone is selected nor is the colour changeable in preferences.

I think we missed a commit somewhere. My error. Could you double-check and push any outstanding changes to develop in github. That way, they will be in the official release of VASL6.6.3.vmod

MTL

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ahh - yes, the branch was well out of date, Doug, and unmerged... my fault! Created a new branch with the above changes on github (to get the latest buildfile), and there is a PR awaiting your inspection.