LSSAH # 11

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am trying to figure this scenario map set up out but am having zero luck.

Has anyone done a VASL set up for this scenario?
Is the map supposed to look something like this? I have cropped down just to look at the beach/ ocean stuff.

Attachments

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
something is wrong with the ocean overlay it's not abutting properly to the beach overlay. You might have to place a NUL board to the side of the other boards and address the ocean overlay to NUL board hexes rather than trying to overlay on an overlay? Just a guess.

LaFajita

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oooh, boy!

I am familiar with your problem, if not your scenario. That problem, of course, is that VASL overlays do not match up the same way that cardboard overlays do. My own solution to this problem is to physically set up the scenario with the cardboard maps and overlays, and then translate where the VASL overlays need to be laid down, and then place them accordingly, as the map coordinates and the VASL coordinates will be different. It's been awhile, so this is what I'm going to have to do to deliver a good scenario card for you.

A lot of people run into this when they attempt to VASLize a scenario card which includes Ocean/Beach/Hinterlands.
P.S. You're right, Honosbinda. There will likely be NUL boards involved.

Last edited:

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
sometimes using the one hex terrain draggable overlays is easier. Don't know about in this case.

LaFajita

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been playing around with this setup, and have come up with some answers, and of course, some more questions.
Obs. #1 -- This has to be one of the easier VASL setups I've done in an Ocean/Beach scenario (the most difficult was Alligator Creek)

Obs.#2 -- No NUL boards required. HOWEVER, you need to put an extra board where your Beach/Ocean overlays will go, so they will have some place to go to. I used boards 01, 02, and 03, and cropped them like the given boards, just to help me keep track of what I was doing. A big help in this scenario is the Beach overlays, which can be placed exactly per the setup instructions.
Obs. #4 -- The Ocean overlays are a bit more trouble, as you will have to place these overlays on a map coordinate which will give you two hexes of beach. I always used hexrow EE (either 1 or 10).

Obs. #3 -- If you have done these things properly, you will end up with two hexes of Beach and twelve hexes of Ocean. Unfortunately, you will also have two hexes of land off at the far end of the playing area. I'd say just crop your "supporting" boards to eliminate that, but I don't know where your troops enter. Do the Black Sea Fleet Marines on what I guess is either the west or south edge of the playing area?

ErwinLanglois

Reaction score
First name
Erwin
Country
llBelgium
Have tried as best as I could to make a VASL file for this scenario, will try to upload it here,
otherwise will upload it in the scenario archive page for this scenario...
Hope this works for you, and everybody else...
Didn't succeed, but if you need it , send me a message!

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oooh, boy!

I am familiar with your problem, if not your scenario. That problem, of course, is that VASL overlays do not match up the same way that cardboard overlays do. My own solution to this problem is to physically set up the scenario with the cardboard maps and overlays, and then translate where the VASL overlays need to be laid down, and then place them accordingly, as the map coordinates and the VASL coordinates will be different. It's been awhile, so this is what I'm going to have to do to deliver a good scenario card for you.

A lot of people run into this when they attempt to VASLize a scenario card which includes Ocean/Beach/Hinterlands.
P.S. You're right, Honosbinda. There will likely be NUL boards involved.
I have done this myself a few times in VASL. That would actually be a good suggestion for the VASL guys. To come up with a more user friendly means of applying the Ocean overlays.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have done this myself a few times in VASL. That would actually be a good suggestion for the VASL guys. To come up with a more user friendly means of applying the Ocean overlays.
Well stay tuned. Something better may be nearer than you think.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I want to put out that I used LaFajita's instructions and it worked. I also had some help to correctly place the piers. Thanks to all who offered their help.