low crawl

kokobolo

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There is an old Q&A that addresses this, which I believe is addressed by the above cited sentence:

A10.51 If a DM broken unit that must rout is within six MF of the nearest woods/building, must it attempt to reach the woods/building in a single RtPh?​
A. Yes, unless it uses Low Crawl, but it need not take the shortest route (in hexes/MF) to do so. Even if it uses Low Crawl, however, it must still do so toward that woods/building (i.e., at no time may it increase the hex range between itself and that woods/building, and must end that RtPh closer to it than it was at the start of the phase). [An92; An95w; An96; Mw]​
But of course, reasonable people will forever disagree about the rout rules. They are poorly structured and confusingly written! Cheers! :giggle:
Note that even that old Q&A, although strongly suggesting hex A is legal (where does it come from and why did it take so long to make its way into this thread) is still not clear.

It can easily be argued that the first sentence of the answer is not referring to the unit using low crawl when it says that it need not that the shortest rout. Also the second sentence isn't explicitly stating that a LC unit is exempted from using the shortest path in MF.

That being said that Q&A would have been enough to convince me. However, I also asked Perry and got an answer from him. When using Low crawl, a unit is not required to use the shortest path in MF.

That still leaves the weird situation where if the only way to reach a rout destination is by moving away from it (in range of hexes), a unit will be allowed to rout normally, but will not be able to Low Crawl. Weird, but not the weirdest thing in the rules by far.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
That still leaves the weird situation where if the only way to reach a rout destination is by moving away from it (in range of hexes), a unit will be allowed to rout normally, but will not be able to Low Crawl. Weird, but not the weirdest thing in the rules by far.
There was actually another thread where it was debated whether one could increase the number of hexes to the rout target when routing. Believe a Q&A was sent in on that as well.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
LC "All other Rout provisions apply unchanged to Low Crawl, e.g., rout must still be towards the nearest woods/building Location within 6 MF."

Well, you aren't moving away from the Destination.
And you aren't required to take the shortest route to the destination if you can reach it in the RtPh.
SO, is it IMPLIED that you MUST reduce the MF needed to get to the destination when you LC?
If you could clarify this...it would then FORCE the LC to move as to reduce the MF later on.
Again, you are legally able to rout "away" from your destination as long as you can get to it.
LC says the above quote...