Low crawl rout question

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A unit is under DM and has a building within 6 mf's that it can rout to, however, to do so would cause interdiction in it's first hex of rout and thus the unit opts to Low crawl.

As the unit can no longer reach the target hex using low crawl can it then ignore this building as a rout target and low crawl into any of the adjacent hexes even if it is away from the nearest rout target location or does it still have to low crawl towards the nearest rout location. In our situation this would mean the unit could low crawl into shell hole or debris hex rather than an open ground hex

Regards

Simon

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The PS:

A10.52

When a unit uses low crawl, is it required to use the shortest path in MF towards its destination?

A. No.
Towards has some flexibility.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Towards =/= parallel unless that is the only route to the destination...i.e. impassable terrain.

You can ONLY LC if you don't surrender. If you can ONLY LC or be interdicted with ADJ enemy...you surrender instead.
See A20

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
OK thanks - so if there is a valid rout destination then you must low crawl towards it (I.E. decrease the range to the destination) if there is no valid rout target (I.e all possible rout destinations can be ignored or outside of the rout movement) you can then LC in any direction.

Don't think the surrender point applies to us as we have no quarter in effect (red barricades) but thanks for pointing this out.

Simon

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
if there is no valid rout target (I.e all possible rout destinations can be ignored or outside of the rout movement) you can then
To be pedantic, what you mean is that there are no valid woods/building Locations, so then you can chose any legal hex as your rout destination. If there were truly no possible rout destinations (i.e., a move to any Location would be moving towards a KEU) there would be no possible rout.

GamerGeek

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
So is Simon62's interpretation correct? The PS says that a LC unit is NOT required to use the shortest distance.

Here is our situation. NQ in effect. FF9 has valid rout target FF1which is 2 hexes away (even though it is an ignorable target). Routing unit cannot move closer in shortest MP (FF10)n as that brings it ADJ to KEU, can it LC to GG10?

Note there are alternate rout targets to the top of the figure, if GG10 is out, would it have to rout that way?

Last edited:

cooljrunner

Reaction score
First name
Jay
Country
llUnited States
Alluded to, but not pictured, are woods in FF7 at 3MF away, which I think makes FF1 an illegal rout destination at 4MF away. Thus, I believe the broken German unit either must a) Rout to FF7 as it is closest woods/building in MF or b) declare a low crawl and rout in the direction of FF7. Since GG10 is not in the direction of FF7 it not a legal to Low Crawl there. Cards on table, I’m the Americans in this scenario.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
So is Simon62's interpretation correct? The PS says that a LC unit is NOT required to use the shortest distance.

Here is our situation. NQ in effect. FF9 has valid rout target FF1which is 2 hexes away (even though it is an ignorable target). Routing unit cannot move closer in shortest MP (FF10)n as that brings it ADJ to KEU, can it LC to GG10?

Note there are alternate rout targets to the top of the figure, if GG10 is out, would it have to rout that way?

View attachment 24225
That location isn't Ignorable with the above information.
Shortest in MF FF10 route isn't a valid route and is disregarded. The path is 4MF from this picture. FF1 is 2 hexes away from the ADJ enemy units.

cooljrunner

Reaction score
First name
Jay
Country
llUnited States
The picture I attached is a larger section of the board along with some pieces taken off to remove clutter. Nothing changed that would impact a rout; the core of the discussion is how can the German rout or low crawl to his waiting adjacent leader. I don’t think he can and is bound by rule to head towards FF7 either by routing there or low crawl in that direction ending in FF8. No enemy’s around that can interdict and No Quarter in effect. Not moving closer to a KEU either.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
The picture I attached is a larger section of the board along with some pieces taken off to remove clutter. Nothing changed that would impact a rout; the core of the discussion is how can the German rout or low crawl to his waiting adjacent leader. I don’t think he can and is bound by rule to head towards FF7 either by routing there or low crawl in that direction ending in FF8. No enemy’s around that can interdict and No Quarter in effect. Not moving closer to a KEU either.
He's not getting to his leader this Rout Phase.

GamerGeek

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Agree, thanks for pointing out that, missed the no ADJ etc. comes into play prior to selecting rout destinations.

No Leader for these guys!

On another note.....does not matter to the above discussion, but I thought FF1 was ignorable as is equal distance to the baddies in ee10?

Sigh, senior moments all around.......

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
On another note.....does not matter to the above discussion, but I thought FF1 was ignorable as is equal distance to the baddies in ee10?
The distance from the broken unit to EE10 is only one hex. Distance from F1 to EE10 is two hexes.

The distance from the broken unit to F1 is not a factor.