LotR Reading List

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who's read (or going to read) what concerning LotR?

I've read most of the books below concerning Tolkien's Middle Earth because his story arc is so compelling on the battle of good versus evil and the extreme costs of doing that.

The Hobbit.
The Silimarillion.
The Lord of the Rings: (which is only 1 chapter of the Silmarillion)
The Book of Lost Tales.
The Histories of Middle Earth- 12 volumes.
Unfinished Tales- of Numenor and Middle Earth.
The Children of Hurin.
Atlas of Middle Earth.
The Complete Guide to Middle Earth.
Biography of J.R.R. Tolkien.

Artwork Books (countless)
LotR Movie books (countless)
Books on the Philosophy of LotR. (ex. "Understanding LotR.")
Inspirational books on LotR. (ex. "Lembas for the Soul: How The Lord of the Rings Enriches Everyday Life.")
Myths of Middle Earth.(ex. "Lord of the Rings: The Mythology of Power")
Cliffs Notes on the LotR. :crosseye: (why would anyone want to skip reading any of LotR? :nuts:)

And on & and.

Oh and who can forget the classic, "Bored of the Rings" by Harvard Lampoon. :clown:

What's on your LotR reading list?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Saw this listing today & since LotR made it thought I'd share.

Top 25 movies of Books made into Movies!
Some good ones on the list that I have yet to see, although I don't think I could sit through Dr. Zhivago again...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/books-life/6166774/25-best-book-to-film-adaptations.html
I see everyone is hurling their own favs onto the list. I would add A Bridge Too Far, just to include one of those star-laden 1970s "war movies" that were all the rage. They managed to capture the spirit of Cornelius Ryan's writing very well - little vignettes of the battle that told the overall story without a lot of dull exposition or need for maps, and at the same time a lot of characters that were so extraordinary that if you didn't realize it was a true story you would never have believed a word of it. Probably the best movie of any of this kind - better than The Longest Day which was too "dramatic" and staged; Midway was too talky (and wasn't based on a single book, I don't think?), Tora Tora Tora wasn't bad but was ponderous in places, particularly the Japanese scenes; etc.